Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to identify plant

Posted by scotty66 8 Hutto TX (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 19:49

I have a question on how to list/package my seeds for the "Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap". Last year I was at a local nursery (Austin, tx) and asked if they had any "chili pequin" plants. They sold me a beautiful plant in a hanging basket that was full of flowers (there was no identifying tag on the plant).

Wikipedia link for Chiltepin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltepin

Wikipedia link for Pequin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pequin_pepper

The tiny peppers had a nice kick and were very flavorful. The heat is around habanero intensity but doesn't last long and as you can see from the picture below the fruit are round and not oval. I now think the plant I bought was a chiltepin and not a pequin. It is an awesome plant and I have seeds I would like to use in the swap, but I'm not sure how to label them.

The plant:

Photobucket

The fruit:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to identify plant

Tepins are more rounded and pequins are pointed. However, I have seen the names interchanged often, especially in Texas.

Those are tepins in your photo. Tepins are sometimes perfectly round or sometimes peanut shaped, never pointed.

o
RE: how to identify plant

Tepins, also called Texas Bird Pepper.

o
Chiltepine germination

I have numerous seeds from my Chiltepine and just finished browsing some articles on how to sprout/grow them...

I wanted to see some seeds germinate before sending them off for the seed exchange. Sounds a little daunting from the article below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ChiliCult.com - Chiltepine germination

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here