Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting Capsicum annuum inside or not

Posted by mistyreiny 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 19:50

I have plenty of room inside to plant all of these that I have. I am posting this thread so as to determine if I should plant these pepper plants inside or outside seeing as the super hots and just plain hot species take 6 months to produce their first fruit and 9 months to get into full production . I am only asking if they should be planted in or out because by the time they get into full production it will be this November. Should I just do inside so as to eliminate the pain of watching all my babies slowly but surely die? just to re clarify I am zone 10, snow is quite likely every winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting Capsicum annuum inside or not

What is it pepper plants do every winter? Do they hibernate like trees or die like peas?

o

Peppers are evergreen perennials. That means, they do not hibernate, but either live or die. One can slow down their growth, indoors, but cannot make them to hibernate.

o

Misty: I'm in zone 10 also. and though I usually start my peppers much earlier, I just started mine a week ago this year.

Start them inside now under lights and the annuums you'll be able to get outside by mid/late April and the superhots about a month later. You'll have time to get AT least a couple flushes, no problem.

Frost will kill them, but many growers overwinter them inside by pruning the root system and foliage and "sort of" put them in hibernation by sticking in a south facing window, water sparingly and make sure the aphids aren't nailing them throughout the winter.

Type overwintering peppers in the search box. many threads on this. I find people in zone 10 do it just to see if they can or have a special plant they've been overwintering for years. To me, it's just too simple to start fresh again -- by the time I pull my plants in Late Dec/Jan, I'm already starting seeds inside for the next spring.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here