Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Heat with light or... Heat with no light

Bill_Missy
11 years ago

Okay Guys and Gals,

I am in a freindly argument with my wife over peppers (At least it is not serious. To her anyway :) )

Here is the issue:
I have a 72 hole seeding tray with non-removable containers. I am using two different types of potting medium. Out of 72 seeds planted I am at about 50% germination (Mostly Super-Hots, with some Hots) so far. As of this writting, I still have them on a heat mat and "Dome" I know I need to get them to light ASAP. A few are pushing an inch tall.

Question is do I try and remove the sprouted seedlings, transplant into a small but larger container and put under light or is it okay to put the whole tray under light even though about 50% has not germinated yet?

options as I see are:
1. Leave on heat mat with dome on with no light.
2. Heat mat with no dome and under light.
3. Heat mat with dome on under light
4. No heat mat and with light

Thoughts, recommendations greatly appriciated.

Bill

Comments (14)

• User
    11 years ago

#2. You'll have to watch hydration... water more often.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I have a few that sprouted today. I still have several that haven't sprouted yet. I still have my seed tray with the dome on under lights, with the heat mat underneath. I'll leave it like that for a day or tray, any longer than that, and I'll need to remove the dome. I suggest you do the same. I just wouldn't leave the dome over newly sprouted plants for more than a day or two. Good luck!

Tim

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I see you beat me to it Bill. I assumed the dome would be okay for a day or two. Shows what I know. Good thing I have pros like you around. :)

Tim

• User
    11 years ago

Actually, I think your advice is better. 1 or two days dome on won't increase chances of damping off and will give the non sprouted seeds a little more time in a warmer / moister environment.

I'd take your advice on this one.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I was just about to take my dome off.....maybe I'll wait and see. Thanks.

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yes, the dome shouldn't be a problem for a few days after you get some seedlings. However, you might want to vent it a little by cocking it a little so it doesn't close up real tight. It will still hold it a good deal of moisture and heat. But I would definitely get some light on the one inch tall fellas. As an alternate, you could remove the dome completely for a few hours each day.
    Bruce

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Light seedlings need light or they fall over and die.
    If not using a tall vented dome I always used to just put a piece of plastic wrap on each one of the cells that haven't sprouted yet; keeps them moist. Keep the heat mat all the way till transplant they will grow much quicker and healthier.

Eric

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

So far I've been dome on under light, no mat (though I germinate in baggies). The sprouts are happy, though a few are almost tall enough to reach the dome. Since I was very conservative with the water to start with, I don't expect to see any damping off with the dome in place. I have been taking off the dome for a good half hour a day, though, to add new germs. I intend to leave it on as long as possible to keep from drying out the new sets.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

One thing you can do to help prevent damping off and other fungus problems is to get a spray bottle with 3% hydrogen peroxide (they sell it as a topical disinfectant at pharmacies and pharmacy sections of grocery stores if you're in the US) and spray everything down with that. Don't soak it, but spray enough to moisten the top of the soil and the seedlings.

3% is not strong enough to hurt seedlings in anyway (they can stand up to 10%), but it will kill fungus (including damping off fungus). That'll let you keep the dome on a little longer without it being too dangerous.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

After investigating the early germs that did not emerge, I am indeed getting "damping off" [what an odd phrase]. These are the original sets where I was not so conservative with the water.

So I popped the dome and started a fan blowing until the top of the soil dried out on the remaining early sets. Earlier I had started using H2O2 drop-wise at the base of each set. So far a much higher percent have emerged - almost 100% since I started using some H2O2 and less H2O.

Now if I can keep the fershlugginer cat from eating them!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

edymnion:

Full strength 3%?

Kevin

• User
    11 years ago

DMForcier,

A "fershlugginer cat"??? No no no, you need a Guard Cat!

Her's a shot of one pretending to be asleep just waiting to pounce on any threat ;-)

Image found on a site called thechive.com

• leafericson
    11 years ago

That cat is too cute! Mine did that when he was a kitten. I found out he was peeing in the pot the whole time; killed my "Hercules calla lily"!!!

Eric

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm using 3%, though it's kinda old so is probably weaker by now.

Sponsored