Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
not so much

Posted by rodnebridges 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 20:12

Now these guys, I'm worried about. I think this condition has been referred to as "helmet head". I'm really disappointed with one of them because it is the ghost pepper I was so happy that sprouted the other day. It won't seem to shed the shell and I'm scared to touch it ! The upper pepper is another t scorp but I don't know what happened there. Opinions ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: not so much

From what I've heard, according to most people on here just leave it alone, and it should be okay. I'm kind of a newbie though so take my word with a grain of salt. But I've seen a couple of posts that mentioned leaving it alone. I have a fatalii or Caribbean red that is doing the same thing.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 21:03

I would give it a couple days. If it doesn't pop, then you might want to try to help it out a bit. Maybe put a "drop" of water on it every few hours and see if that doesn't soften up the shell.

I might suggest that you plant 2-3 seeds per container in the future. That way you are almost ensured one will come out nice and strong. Just snip the two less vigorous ones after a while and let the strongest one go. This is what I do unless I am really hurting for seeds.
Bruce

o

I'm getting a lot of helmet-head disease. 5 (6?) cases so far out of about 80 sprouts. I have tried my best micro-surgical techniques, but these little guys are so fragile the slightest tug will uproot them, so I let them die in peace now. Besides, I need the cells.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here