Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafericson

Toasted Burnt to a Crisp ;(

leafericson
11 years ago

Germinating pepper seeds in the oven is a Bad, Bad idea.
Don't get me wrong; it works great. Just make sure you remove the knob from the oven.
I put a post-it note next to the knob saying "Do not turn on oven seeds inside" and ""someone"".. still turned it on...
Well that batch is cooked. I should of taken out some fire insurance on these guys.
I replanted everything except scotch bonnet, manzano and giant white habanero; no more seeds left.
I have removed the oven knob and let's hope "That" ""Someone"" doesn't try to toast my pepper seeds again...
Well on the bright side at least my house didn't burn down:)

Eric

This post was edited by LeafEricson on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 20:29

Comments (20)

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Holy smokes!

Those are some hot seeds!

Sorry I had to lol... Sucks that you lost that many seed though :\ and hope your new guys come up.

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's ok; I enjoy some good humor.
    It gives a whole new meaning to the words "Hot Peppers"

Eric

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Were you able to get them out of the oven before it got TOO hot on the little guys or did it most definitely kill the seeds?

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Yipes....do you have 2 ovens....I could be guilty of making that mistake.

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ab2008, a certain "someone" toasted a bagel in the broiler this morning when I came home from work I went to check them and they had been long gone. Considering how burnt the seed tray is; I would say there is no hope for them so I started another seed tray.
    daisydawnny, just one oven. Please tell me you didn't do this too..
    If I had extra heat mats this would never of happened. But still; I prefer the oven with it's pilot light the humidity dome doesn't collect condensation so you have very good germination rates and no rotted seeds.

Eric

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

Hi Eric! Sorry to hear about your oven mishap. I've never done that with seeds, but my husband put a plastic bowl of popcorn in the oven one time to keep it from getting stale, and I melted it pretty good!

Hey, I haven't sent out your package yet from the swap. I'm pretty sure I have some Scotch Bonnets, and Manzano seeds left. There is a couple packs of White Habaneros, but they are not the Giant one, if you'd like those too. Just let me know if there's anything else that you need replacements for, and I'll see if anyone sent them in.

Bonnie

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Bonnie, that would be wonderful. Thanks for thinking of me. do you need me to send more postage or a bubble envelope? I know I only sent a regular size envelope; my mistake. I'm hoping to grow out at least a 50 different variety's for next year's swap. I hope you will host it again so I can share all of them with everyone.

Eric

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

No worries. I've got you covered!

Hope your second sowing goes off without a hitch.

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

WOW! sorry to see that Eric. When I read "burnt to a crisp" it reminded me of coming home from work on Friday, husband was already home - vacation. I was going to go out and check on the greenhouse, he commented, "uh oh, I forgot to go out and turn off the heaters." Well, it was close to an oven in there. Luckily I only lost about 30-50 plants, but it's sad to see the little guys all crispy.
    Pam

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Should have used 'heat' resistant varieties.

;)

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 13:37

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I am sure you are not real happy about this but I will admit that I had to laugh a little. My first thought when seeing the photo was that you were going to say someone was trying to grow hotter peppers. That mishap will put you back a week or so. At least they were not 6" seedlings. Good luck on your restart. Bruce

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

The dreaded yellow sticky note strikes again! LOL.

Seriously though, sorry to see what happened, and best of luck for the next go round.

Alex

• scotty66
    11 years ago

Just out of curiousity.... water those cells and cover them and see what happens. if that oven had gotten REALLY hot that plastic would be on the bottom of the oven.

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

scotty66, I did take a few of them out of that and put them in new cells just to see if they will germinate. It must of got pretty hot in the oven for the plasic to turn black.

Here is a picture of a plastic spoon that I left in the seed tay on top of the soil.

Melted plastic spoon on the left. Normal plasitc spoon on the right.
    Reminds me of making shrinky dinks when I was a kid, LOL anyone rember those?

Eric

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

Hope you and "someone" have come to an understanding about the true purpose of the oven. Who would have thought "someone" would use it for cooking!

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ohiofem, yea I know its really my fault. I can't be bitter about it. I only have two heat mats and Ijust wanted to get another seed tray going. Guess you live and learn.

Eric

• AZ-J
    11 years ago

Just checking in here to see how you are doing. Not so good, I see. I can help you! Check your mail. --Jay

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

If those seeds wind up germinating, it will of interest to NASA. It would once and for all prove that life on Mars is possible.
    Bruce

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey AZ-J, happy to hear from you on Garden Web. That was just one extra seed tray; I've got a lot more going, a lot! I'm really excited to share all of them in next year's pick-a-pepper-seed-swap. Besides burning my tongue off; that was my whole intention to share the wealth in the first place. Sorry I didn't get a chance to read your e-mail I've got a new job and I've been working hard; very tired. I will shoot you an e-mail soon. I've got a few you don't have and you've got a few I don't have maybe another trade on its way huh?

Eric

• AZ-J
    11 years ago

At least the toasted tray was an extra and you have more already going. I have newly transplanted seeds which were started the first week of February and I'm also waiting on another dozen or so to sprout... and then there are even more trades in the mail. I need to buy another bag of starter mix and some more transplant pots. It seems like I'll never stop planting. These peppers are as addictive to grow as potato chips are to eat!