Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bberkmor

Seed still attached to top of sprout??

bberkmor
11 years ago

Just had my first bhut sprout today but the seed grew out of the soil where the leaves should be. Is this a goner? I checked and it is rooted into the soil

Comments (8)

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Just leave it be, it should be fine. Any attempt to remove the seed case will most likely damage the leaves and kill the seedling.

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

congrats. leave it ALONE...

• locoguy
    11 years ago

yeah... just leave it alone... I just had one that came off by itself. All i did was put a little bit of saliva to help lubricate so it could squeeze out easier.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yah, best off to leave it alone. I usually wind up trying to pull them off. I just can't help my self but I have destroyed a seedling or two before also. Of course, I have have one or two die from not being able to shed the casing also but the prudent course of action is to let nature deal with it. She usually doesn't need a lot of help.
    Bruce

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok guys thanks. I hope the Leaves can break free. I planted a backup just in case. Up to 3 Christmas bells, 2 Butch t, 1 Bhut, 1 red savina habanero sprout in 8 days :)

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry double post. Is there a delete in the edit function?

This post was edited by bberkmor on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 1:33

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

I had the same problem before. It was caused by the seed starting soil. Most of the seedlings were died.

I would observe the way seed case holding the cotyledon and accordingly I will take necessary steps such as cut the seed case a bit. Some of the seedcase holding the cotyledon so tightly and killing the seedling slowly.

The seed case like this one better to cut a little bit, the seedlings may have chance to survive. I was able to see the
    cotyledon inside the seed case when I used lights I used a small scissor and cut the seed case. Some thick skin seeds may not see the cotyledon.

This seedling is survived because of cutting the seed case.

{{gwi:1149807}}

I observe the seed case carefully and I decide which one I have to leave and which one I have to cut.

{{gwi:1149809}}

Now I use pine bark mulch on the seed starting soil it helps to the seedlings and avoiding seed case problem.

{{gwi:1149811}}

New container gardener,

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 9:09

• tsheets
    11 years ago

As Bruce said, mother nature usually takes care of things like that herself. Not always, but, usually. I've had a few with stuck seed caps over the years, but, haven't lost one due to that yet.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor