Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot size for Rocoto/Manzano's

Posted by brien_nz New Zealand (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 20:23

It is mid/late summer here in New Zealand and I have had the following results from my Manzano Amarillo's. The seeds were sown in early September.
1. The plant potted into a 25 litre container outside in a sheltered spot is about 80 cm high and 60 cm wide, bushy with many flowers.
2. The plant in a 12 litre pot in a windy situation is smaller, 60 cm high by 30cm with quite a few flowers AND several fruitlets up to 3 cm long!
3. The plant in a 24 litre bag in my greenhouse is similar to the outside one in the large pot, but not as bushy.
4. The plant in a 9 litre bucket in my greenhouse is 90 cm x 50 cm is gangly and pale green (N deficient)? BUT it has two fruitlets about 1 cm.
Should we be growing this variety in small pots (at least for the first year)? Does this apply to other varieties?
I would be interested to hear what others have experienced.
Brien

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot size for Rocoto/Manzano's

Manzanos like root space though they fruit for me in 3gal. pots and bigger.

#15 pots is what I use mostly and a couple 20 gal. pots.

o

Just to follow up my posting, you are quite right smokemaster. The plant in the large container (about 35 litres on re-measuring) is thriving with many fruit, some already starting to colour. The plants in the smaller containers have only a few fruit, although the fruit are somewhat larger.
Brien

o

I grew mine in 1/2 of a 55 gal drum

Photobucket

o

Request for reliable sellers' information for Rocoto Manzano Orange seeds.

o

E mail me,I have TONS of Yellow-yellow/orange Mamzano seeds.

I just cleaned 35lbs+ of fresh Manzanos.
ALL pods were 3 1/2 in. or bigger - BIG Pods.

o

Your trade list is awesome, smokemaster_2007.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here