Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Largest Jalapeno

Posted by johnny90275 z10 (jhuber_05@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 20:24

Hey all,

I tried to grow jalapenos last year, and they all came up small. I have come to the conclusion that it was the seed and not the size of my pot or anything like that, especially since I purchased the seeds from HD or Lowes or something like that. so I am asking what is a very large type of jalapeno? Ideally I want to use it for stuffing, and does anyone have any seeds to trade with me? All I have is Rocotos and Manzanos all colors (Red, Yellow, Orange).

Thanks everyone,

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Largest Jalapeno

jalapenos are never large enough for stuffing, to me. Their size is just abut an index finger long and abot 1/2" in diameter.
They are fairly meaty and make good salsa(green,. red, in between). I think poblano is a great stuffer.

o

But there isn't a giant jalapeno or anything?

o

There's quite a few X-large jalapenos out there.

There's the familiar Biker Billy, which is pretty large and very hot, and more than large enough for stuffing. There's the Mucho Nacho, which is even fatter and fleshier than the Biker Billy but less hot. There's the new-ish Gigantia, which I've never seen but which is supposedly 5+ inches long. And the Grande Hybrid, yet another XL jal. There's a few more, too - it's worth googling.

o

I am a huge fan of Grande Hybrid. Much larger than the Biker Billy, IMO.

Jay

o

Thank You megachili

I now know what im going to plant, I think I am going to try Biker Billy because I want the heat, but now that I think about it i think I will try Mucho Nacho also.

Thanks again

John

o

Good call, Johnny, you can't go wrong with either, and growing both is even better than one. I'm only growing the BB' this year but last year I grew both, side by side. Both are great for poppers and other stuffing recipes.

o

Hey John,
Biker Billy has been one of my favorite large Jalapenos for six years, however there are four or five large varieties that I have found the last couple of years.
Totally Tomato-Jalapeno Goliath, Ixtapa
Tomato Growers-Mucho Nacho, Grande Hybrid
Burpee-Biker Billy
Steve

o

Mucho Nacho Jalapeno from Jung would be a contender for largest & hottest Jalapeno, I imagine. =)

o

I am trying Triunfo this year. Suppose to get 4 - 6 inches according to the seed pack.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here