Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

Chili cook off HAHAHA!!!

habjolokia z 6b/7
12 years ago

They decided to have a chili cook off at work, dont care if I win or not just want great taste with the Burn!!! I am known to make Hot chili when we have pot lucks at work. Since its a cook off this changes things, Nuclear chili here we come!

I added 45 Ghost chili's a dozen or so Kung Pao peppers, grilled the peppers then blitzed in a food processor, then added to my ground turkey chili.

A bit much? not enough? Just thought I would share. It's tomorrow!

Comments (24)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

45 full ghost pepper pods????
    Yes, you overdid it. Even if you made a 20 lb batch, it will be hotter than hell.
    Just don't let your boss taste it or you may have a lot more time to play with your peppers this year.
    Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes whole pods. My Boss fears my chili, he has not tried it yet. My last pot of chili had about 5 ghost pods and a few Habs. I give warning and only recommend a spoon full. Few folks can handle the heat so bumped it up a few notches.

• simsedward
    12 years ago

That is going to be nuclear all right!! Be careful no one gets hurt!!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Believe me it's not me going in crazy and blindly with my atomic chili, and I take it seriously and def don't want anyone to get hurt.. Its taken time introducing co-workers to my home made Hab hot sauce, ghost hot sauce, and Kung Pao flakes. We even have pepper plants now growing with the office plants.

• scotty66
    12 years ago

I like hot food... and I'll even eat a whole superhot pepper, just to say I tried it.

but I don't like food so hot I can't taste anything. I love chilli but food has to have flavor as well as heat.
    The 7 pot Trinidad peppers got its name because 1 pepper was enough for 7 pots

How many pounds of meat is in your batch of chilli?

Oh, and I think ground turkey will get you kicked out of a Texas Chilli cook-off :)

Here is a link that might be useful: speaking of chili - here's a funny chili cook-off article/joke

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL Franks comments are awesome! Would not dare to use Turkey chili in a chili cook off in TX. In a average Crock pot 1lb of turkey :-) Full of flavor, I tried it to make sure it was on target with flavor. I only fear peppers eaten raw by themselves, with food bring it on, the more the better as long as you can balance it with flavor.

Thanks for the link and the laugh!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

"Few folks can handle the heat so bumped it up a few notches."

Spoken like a true chili head. hahahaha.
    Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hahaha! Thanks Bruce. Today is the day wahoo!

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

haha well keep us posted... pictures might be neccesary *lol*

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Already had one person that asked to sample it before official time to start. She got a small bit on a plate dipped the spoon and just licked it. "WOOOOOO that's hot!!!! my tongue is burnt" (her comment)

Another sampled he said Oh yeah it's HOT, but I can eat it.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Results; lots of red flushed faces, runny noses, few made a mad dash to the kitchen for liquids, very few handled it really well. Atomic warning label of course on the pot and verbal warning. Over all I think it went great and unlike last time, no one ask me to make it hotter :-)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Back in the Army, I had a buddy who had a secret recipe for Chicken Wings. He would bring in a huge batch every once in a while. They were hot as heck. Very few could eat them although the taste behind the heat was awesome. He called them Kervorkian Wings. Now, I figure he got in early on the Ghost Peppers for his secret ingredient.
    Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Woah sounds cool too bad I did not run into the same buddy, Army, me too, FT Hood, Camp Casey Korea, Germany, and Afganistan.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

haholokia, I went off list with you. Starting to get off topic. Sent email.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Many are called....few are chosen ;-)

I made a salsa that was too hot last year....so I just added a few tablespoons to mild salsa.
    This made for a very enjoyable flavor and heat combination.

My brother's fiancé was having a "girl's night" with her sisters, and they were playing cards.
    Those who were not drinking had to take a chip of salsa instead of taking a drink as punishment...
    I can't tell you how much that warmed my mean little chile heart ;-)

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

That is a great story Josh. Makes me laugh. Wish I could have been there to see it.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Buzz from alcohol....buzz from endorphins... close enough! ;-)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Thanks, guys ;-)

Today I had the pleasure of talking with a student that bravely ate one of my Bhut Jolokias
    last semester - and by "ate" I mean chewed thoroughly, swallowed, and vomited up five minutes later.

Anyhow, he had been talking about this local Hot Wing challenge for a while, and I had been
    assuring him that he would smoke the competition after training with the superhots. Well, sure
    enough he polished off a plate of wings....and then ordered a second plate for good measure.
    He got his picture on the wall no problem.

Josh

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Josh-
    You are my hero!! I have several students who want to try a superhot but I am too afraid of the repercussions. They have eaten my venison jerky, hot sauce, salsa, ect...but a whole Bhut is where I am scared...you are a brave man!!
    Hab-
    I always make salsa for our block party and I have had several call my hot salsa "franks red hot" for heat comparison. So last summer I made a nuclear batch. ONly a few ate it and no one asked for it hotter. Check mate!

• Oystereater
    12 years ago

Habjolokia, I was stationed in Korea a couple times just across doo doo creek from ya, at Nimble. I was wondering if you happened to ever notice the drying red peppers spread out all over the place there, and what the name of those were. Great in Kimchi!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh, great stories funny and brave!

Oystereater, I was not a chili head yet while I was in Korea so did not even cross my mind about the peppers, loved the Kimchi though.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found out the name of the Korean pepper it's the kochu pepper. Now I got to find seeds.

• User
    12 years ago

Geez, I go away for a few days and you guys get all crazy trying to kill people with chili ;-))

habjolokia, gotta be careful... 45 Ghost peppers!!!

Check out the story in the link below. Seems like a cretain restaurant in Scotland has a recipe you want to replicate.

Killer curry competition hospitalises two

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bill,

this was only sampling and fair warning 1/2 a teaspoon or less to sample for the chili cook off; I did not win too Hot! lol but to eat more they may very well have ended up in a hospital. Woah insane story, Thanks for the link

Mark

Sponsored