Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncage

Looking for two types of pepper seeds?

ncage
18 years ago

Does anyone know where i can get either Trinidad Scorpion or indian p-c1 seeds at? I am having trouble the seeds. I don't have much seeds since this is my 2nd year of pepper gardening but what i have i would be definitly willing to trade a few. All my pepper seeds come from TGS.

thanks,

ncage

Comments (43)

• cmpman1974
    18 years ago

Trinidad Scorpion pepper seeds are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to find as the only nursery that sells the plants (not seeds) is Valley View Farms in Cockeyville, MD. They don't ship live plants either.

Indian PC-1 seeds are sold by Ecoseeds and several other web retailers. They are pretty common, but there is confusion between Indian PC-1, Naga Jolokia, etc. I am not familiar with details, but I believe it has multiple names. Maybe someone else can chime in and offer more sound advice on this variety.

Chris

• groovy1
    18 years ago

NCage, I have a small seed sample for the Trinidad Scorpion. I am growing out the plants to save seed and will have seeds to distribute at the end of the season. Get in touch with me, NJChilehead@aol.com, and I will put you on my list to send seed to. If I forget remind me.

• byron
    18 years ago

I thought PC-1 was a Remiers exclusve

• ncage
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks groovy1 i really apprecaite it. I will defnitly email you soon.

ncage

• keeblerelf
    17 years ago

groovy1-- you mentioned you are growing Scorpion Peppers this year. Have you ever grown them in the past?

I saw a quick video clip on our local noon news the other day airing live from Valley View Farms. The woman in charge of that department only showed the plant but no fruit. I've tried to locate a photo on line of the fruit but haven't been successful. I was wondering if you or anyone might have a color photo of the fruit from this plant to post on this forum.

The woman in charge of the department said Valley View harvests the seeds every year to grow new plants the following year. She mentioned that the plant is very toxic in that the employees who harvest the seeds have to wear a respirator mask, safety glasses and heavy duty gloves.

Look forward to your post.

• wayright
    17 years ago

I got pc 1 from redwood and a few others and the pc1 is doing the best of all!This is my first year growing them but they are coming up great and look alot like a cayenne plant
    ___Kevin

• organic_nut
    17 years ago

what can anyone say about Scorpion. I dont find any information on the pepper on the web. I will guess it is very hot.

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

I hear Trinidad Scorpion is absolutely incredibly hot. I would toss more adjectives if I could think of them. :)

I am growing three plants of this variety this season. Two of my plants look pretty good. The other is questionable. We've been getting hit hard by winds and thunderstorms this month. It's not helping! Myself, like Groovy1, will do my best to save some seed. Hopefully, they grow true, and I don't keel over extracting seeds.

Valley View Farms is the only nursery in the U.S. I believe that sells this plant, but I can't confirm.

Interesting story about their seed collecting method. I can see myself doing this too at the end of the season.

Keeblerelf, did you pick yourself up any plants? I assume you live neayby. I contacted Valley View Farms earlier this year just to get info (and see if they will ship plants, which they would not). It sounds like they sell some nice, unusual varieties. I imagine with the increased publicity and interest, they are selling these pepper plants faster than ever.

Groovy1 has a few pics of the pepper. He sent them to me a while ago. E-mail me privately and I'll get them to you if interested.

Chris

• potawie
    17 years ago

Pc-1 from Reimers reported to be over 10 times stronger than Ecoseeds Pc-1
    http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/heatlevels2001.html

I've heard of Pc-1 chinenses, annuums and frutescens. Never seen a chinense pic though.

See Naga Jolokia
    http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?submit=Search&chile=1&find=naga&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any

I'm growing Reimer's Pc-1 this year and wish to grow Scorpions and Naga Morich next year

• john47_johnf
    17 years ago

Indian PC-1-seed from a trader. It was thin fleshed and very hot, though not one of the hottest I've grown

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

Mark,

Thanks for the picture, but I should not be given credit for the pic! It is Butch T's picture from his harvest. Wouldn't want to upset anyone. He made the original post on another forum.

Chris

• groovy1
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'm sorry to share the news but I had a crop failure this year of the Trinidad Scorpion. I have no seed to distribute. I have very few seeds left for myself and am going to try this project again next year. Sorry to bring the bad news as I have had MANY requests over e-mail for seeds. I will keep you in mind for next year.

Mark

• shelbyguy
    17 years ago

my experience growing pc-1 was in line with john47_johnf's. a nice novelty, but not in the top 5 of hotness that ive grown.

• drram
    17 years ago

Hello All:
    I am originally from Trinidad (Caribbean Island)and never heard of Trinidad Scorpion pepper. Can anyone post a pic of what it looks like. Does the name have anything to do with the Island of Trinidad?

• willardb3
    17 years ago

Trinidad scorpion from Chileman's site:

{{gwi:1149919}}

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

drram,

Are you familiar with 7-pod or 7-pot? That is very interesting you never heard of Trinidad Scorpion. However, I recall peppers like Tasmanian Habanero where natives say it's not from there. lol. Guess you never know where, or how, a pepper gets its name.

Chris

• fromtobago
    17 years ago

Hello all:
    I'm from and live in Trinidad & Tobago and thought I should provide some info.
    First, the scorpion and 7 pod or 7 pot are from Trinidad.
    I have seen live specimens of both varieties and they are much hotter than any of the other habaneros, including scotch bonnet. The scorpion is genetically unstable and as such is highly variable in shape but not heat. The colour is usually red and can look like the image from the chileman (but not usually). It usually has a more oval shape. The 7 pod is unique in that the shape is like a regular habanero but, it has 'pimples' all over the fruit giving it a wrinkly apperarance.
    please note these plants are rare even in Trinidad and seed is almost impossible to get here.

• tombstone
    17 years ago

Wow,
    That Trinidad Scorpion sure sounds like a hot one! Have you eaten one 'cmpman?' Just curious?
    tombstone

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

FromTobago,

Thank you very much for your insight. Much appreciated. Tombstone, YES, I have eaten (should say barely nibbled a piece) of Trinidad Scorpion. Incredibly hot pepper. Truly almost too hot to be edible. But the novelty is fun enough to grow.

FromTobago, what makes these varieties so rare? Are they just not grown by many farmers or little known? Do you know what their primary uses are (sauces, powder, etc.)? Always interesting to hear from a native of this area. :)

Chris

• fromtobago
    17 years ago

These varieties have fallen out of production I suspect, because of some low
    demand locally (because of the nuclear heat),the variability of the strain and the focus on Scotch Bonnet
    and Jamaica Hot habanero by the breeding authorities locally.

Regarding heat, both of these varieties are nuclear! I consider myself a
    peppersauce lover and can eat bird peppers straight off the tree but, anyone
    using the scorpion or 7 pot would have to be sadistic. Do you know why they
    they call the 7 pot by that name? Because one fruit can flavour 7 stewpots of
    food or, season 12 whole chickens!.

The primary use is for flavouring stews using a piece of the fresh pepper. Many oyster
    vendors prepare a toxic concoction to eat with the oysters. Pepper flakes
    and powder are hardly used in the islands as almost everyone has some sort
    of live pepper tree in their yard. Because we are nearly on the equator all pepper
    trees grow and produce year round and sometimes over 5 years.

This weekend my family decided to make peppersauce with 3 pods we got.Along with other ingredients It
    ended up making 15oz of sauce. This sauce makes tabasco taste like water.
    Added to that we had to vacate the kitchen for 4 hours to let the vapours
    dssipate; everyone was running about coughing and in tears. This stuff is
    toxic.
    beware these peppers

• philipperv
    17 years ago

I guess the question alot of us are thinking now is:

Why doesn't someone from your island send a sample of either one (or both) of these chilis for testing to get a SHU rating? They could be hotter than the Naga Morich or Dorset Naga.

• fromtobago
    17 years ago

I was wondering when someone would ask the question. Please refer to this url- http://www.cardi.org/publications/proceedings/hotpepper/4.5.html
    for reference. Some people say Dorset naga is about 950,000 so, using the chart on the above website, the scorpion is king for now.
    The thing to note is the environment. In T&T we harvest the peppers in the dry season when it is hot. It is known that here that high temperatues (95F)+ can cause peppers to increase pungency. About 6 years ago we had a mini drought and really high temps here and even the trinidad flavouring peppers started tasting madium hot!

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

I have tasted both Trinidad Scorpion and Dorset Naga. Both ultra-hot and not tolerable much beyond a bite, unless you just enjoy extreme suffering. This is just my person opinion, though confimed by several others, but Trinidad Scorpion seems even hotter to me than Dorset Naga.

Not by a large amount, but I had no taste receptors left. lol. Couple notables: fresh Trinidad Scorpion vs. dried Dorset Naga. It's not easy to make the comparison in two different states.

That all being said, my tongue is not a SHU rater so.....it's all subjective. As FromTobago mentions, I'm sure heat levels vary substantially based on environmental conditions. I imagine a Trinidad Scorpion grown in Trinidad in 100 degree dry heat would be MUCH hotter than what I tasted. I kind of shudder thinking about how hot that would be. lol.

Bottom line, they are all very, very, very hot.

Chris

• philipperv
    17 years ago

Personally, I want a pepper that I can add to a burger or a bowl of chili and it will kick my a**!!! I'm a newbie and have only tried the Red Savina and it doesn't do this for me, however, I wouldn't go around popping them in my mouth like candy!

If anyone wants to trade or sell me some Trinidad Scorpion seeds i'll grow them in my tropical climate here in the Philippines and send a sample for testing to determine SHU.

• philipperv
    17 years ago

fromtobago,

I don't see anywhere in that article which testing facility CARDI used in determining pungency of the Scorpion and under what conditions it was tested. To say: > 1,000,000 SHU sounds like only an estimate to me.

• fromtobago
    17 years ago

I agree with you philipperv, it seems to be an estimate.It is possible CARDI may have done their own testing? However, these peppers are indeed very hot. Take it from me. We in T&T know about hot pepper. There are some preparations made for dishes, especially indian, that would knock anybody out.
    We in the islands don't cater much for Scovilles and I bet you most people here dont'even know what a Scoville unit is. We just know heat and we love it!
    As for conditions, I have seen test plots. The plants are grown in full sun, drip irrigated and in a clay type and or sandy type soil. The more water the plants get, the cooler they are.

For me to consider the scoville test, a particular variety would have to be tested in every possible climate capable of growing hot peppers, in several soil types, greenhouse and open, also altitude. The resulting Scoville tests would then be collected, and the resulting average Scoville rating from all the results would be the Official Scoville rating for the variety. We could then talk about World Records.Keep in mind to qualify- the process should be completely organic.

• philipperv
    17 years ago

I couldn't agree more. There are so many factors involved in producing a pungent pepper. Your proposal would produce a true World Record winner and should be implemented. I read what CARDI had on their site and they never mentioned that they do their own testing. Would be nice if they did. If you find something else out please let me know.

• spavinsmailorder
    17 years ago

Hi

Can you guys get your hands on these seeds all the time?

If so could you send me some to try and grow in england?

If you want money to cover postage I would be happy to do that.

Thanks

• spicyliving
    17 years ago

I have grown the Trinidad Scorpion plants from Valley View for 3 years now and they are VERY hot. They are a must have for me. They are also very prolific so two plants give me about 3-4 lbs of fruit a year. It is hard to keep up with them. Maximum sun, heavy fertilization and loose, sandy soil have worked best for me. I have not had much luck with seeds though as they seem to produce stunted plants. Not sure if I am doing everything right. If someone wants to give me the proper tips to maintaint he seeds, I would be willing to mail some out at the end of the season this year (Saving me from a 3 hour round trip each year) Keeping it HOT!!

• reyna1
    17 years ago

dont know if this will help you or not, but ive always kept my chiltepin seeds in the cabinet, next to the dishes.

if you wouldnt mind sending a couple of seeds, i would love to trade you for some chiltepin seeds that i have ..

if you are interested, you can email me at dannyreyna1 at yahoo dot com

Danny

• rainforest2
    17 years ago

Chris,

I just travel to Valley View Farms to check out if they have the type Trinidad Scorpion or not. I do confirm they do have Trinidad Scorpion, Trinidad purple coffee, Trinidad coffee, Trinidad Chocolate(not sure they said this pepper on the hanging poster as 7 pot???), Trinidad orange yyyyy(yyyyy ==> I can remember the last word they call), Trinidad red, Trinidad yellow(smokey flavor). As I talk to Valley View Farms that they bought the seed from seller who travels to Trinidad to buy and bring the seeds back and sell the seeds to them. They grow these Scorpion pepper in green house and deseeds the pod. I got 6 Trinidad Scorpion plants, 2 Trinidad orange yyyyy, 1 trinidad chocolate(7 pot), 1 trinidad red, 1 trinidad yellow, 2 trinidad purple coffe, 1 trinidad coffe, 1 tabasco yellow. I will pot the plants tonite. As I talk to them that they grow the same trinidad pepper every year. They said Scorpion going super fast. They do not sell the seeds of these peppers and do not ship live plants either.

Long Tran

• danial
    17 years ago

as for the 7pot they are red not chocolate .i have a friend in trinidad that sent some and she said they are either red or orange i do not recall her saying anything about chocolate please let me know if the pod have bumps on them when they grow.
    dan
    let it burn

• fromtobago
    17 years ago

Hi folks,
    Hi Danial, I hope the 7 pod seed i sent are growing well. Yes the 7 pod is red fully mature and orange when just maturing. I have never heard of a chocolate 7pod. rainforest2 may be thnking of the chocolate habanero or brown congo pepper.
    If anyone has a pic of the Trinidad purple coffee I would love to see it. I do not know of it.

• rainforest2
    17 years ago

fromtobago,

As I talk to Valley View Farms, they do not know why it has the name like Trinidad purple coffee and Trinidad coffee either. I believe the seller sell them the seed with that name like that so they call the same name. What I see on the picture, it changes 5 color on Purple coffee when mature and I believe that one of the picture just like coffee. At that time, I am in the hurry to drive back to work and I forget to use my digital camera to take the picture of these chile. The size of purple coffee and coffee are looking the same about 1" X .5" . About the chocolate, I am not sure either, I see it hangs poster next to Scorpion pepper and mention as 7 pot. On the label, it said it is 2nd hottest pepper they carry.
    fromtobago, it is very curious for me about 7 pod they have. One of day, I will try to go back there to get all the picture of it. Email me so when I have the picture I can send to you to verify it. I will definitely grow 1 Scorpion isolate to deseed later on.

LT

• rainforest2
    17 years ago

fromtobago,

I just talk to Valley View Farms that it is a Trinidad Chocolate Congo but it is as hot as 7 pot. Anyway, it is their second hottest pepper after Scorpion. They said the Scorpion pod comes out just like the one on the picture posting at the shelf or at thechileman.org.

LT

Long Tran

• fromtobago
    17 years ago

I thought it might of been. I suspect the 7pod may be marginally hotter but I have not tasted a Chocolate congo in a while. They are both terribly hot though. The scorpion truly comes out like the pic at the chileman. I presently have a fruiting plant.
    I know the Trinidad coffee pepper,I just haven't seen a purple variation yet. I will ask a friend in Trinidad if they know/ can find it.

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

Interesting about Valley View Farms. LT, glad you found some plants. I look forward to seeing your pictures. Weather is just too cold here.

FromTobago, nice to see you posting. I hope you're doing well.

Chris

• fromtobago
    17 years ago

I'm doing good Chris,thanks. I am harvesting peppers now and the scorpion you sent me is doing great and hot as heck. Hopefully I will send some pics to you next week. 7 pods are doing well and the Big Jims' are flowering.
    It is scorching hot in Tobago now and we are experiencing the worst drought in 4 years. It's gonna be a good test to see if hot, harsh conditions affect pepper heat.

• phloyd
    16 years ago

I purchased a Trinidad Scorpion from Valley View recently as I only live about 10 minutes away. It seems to be doing fine.

• nothanks715
    16 years ago

purple coffee peppers from valley view farms

• naturalstuff
    16 years ago

Whoa, purple coffee peppers, that is awesome!! Are you trading / sharing seeds?

• koreyk
    16 years ago

WOW is right. Those purple coffee peppers are Beautiful. wow.

I just have to grow some of those next year and show off to some of my friends. Those are a crowd stopper.

NoThanks 715 I sure hope you are going to be offering some of those seeds this fall winter. awesome pretty.

Korey

• rainforest2
    16 years ago

nothanks715,

Yes, it is the Trinidad Purple Coffee from Valley View Farms. It has the taste of Habanero. It is very hot. One of the Trinidad Scorpion from Valley View Farms do not look like Trinidad Scorpion Pepper on www.thechileman.org at all, but it is much hotter than Trinidad Purple Coffee.

LT

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living