Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Pepper Bonsai!

Posted by TColl CA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 20:38

Hey all, it's been a while since i posted but I figure Id share. Here is a photo of 2 Bonsai peppers are started in december. The older one (on the left) is a chinese 5 color. It already wants to bloom but I have been continually trimming it back to get bushier growth. The other is a serrano that I just started. Just thought Id share.

Also, for those interested, there is a really cool boardgame being kickstarted called Scoville. Its a game where the players are hybridizing and breeding peppers to get the hottest peppers they can! Worth a looksy as the game looks quit nice. Anyway, happy new year to you all and I look forward to more pepper growing with my new set up. The link for that kickstarter is as follows:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kickstarter for the boardgame Scoville

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Pepper Bonsai!

This is totally fun! I know of bonsai plants, but not all that much... Will the produce tiny sized peppers too eventually?

o

yes they will, I have been clipping the flowers however. Once the canopy is sufficiently bushy ill let it flower and fruit. (another month perhaps)

o

That's cool. I'd try it with Tepins, but then I'd have to have tweezers and a magnifying glass to pick... ;-)

o

They look nice.
The pods should still be about the same size.
The fruit doesn't reduce well.

Josh

o

Thanks guys, yeah the fruit will be (from what I understand) similarly sized, which is why i used 2 small fruiting plants... The chinese 5 color gets pods that are an inch max and the serrano variety I am growing gets pods that are about 1/3rd the size of what is commonly grown. That being said this is my first attempt. This year I am gowing to grow some of these varieties in a topsy turvy upside-down in order to get some extreme curvature in the trunk and make a lot more interest in the bonsai itself. Ill post pics when im further down the road.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here