Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper Joe Reaper...

Posted by kclost 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 20:54

I'm going to tell it like it is. No BS.. I have seen all the questions about all the seed vendors, and this is the place to place our info. So here it is.

I purchased 20 Carolina Reaper seeds a few months ago from Pepper Joe. Germinated them in between paper towels in small plastic sauce containers on a heat mat.
Honest results... Out of 24 seeds I received (4 extra), only 8 have germinated. And the very first one that did has me wondering what it actually is... What do you think. The one on the left looks like all my other seedlings. But the other is much darker and rounded leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper Joe Reaper...

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 21:23

I don't want to start a bashing thread here but here are three Reaper seedlings I have going right now. THey were planted on the 4th of Feb. The seeds are from a Reaper that I grew last year. The seeds for the mother plant were obtained from Pepper Joe. The Reaper seedlings are circled in yellow. The bent over one just popped out of the ground so it is still hunched over. You can see one is actually a TRI-Cotyledon. That happens some times and I don't think it signals any problems with the plant. I have had them before with other varieties and they grew out fine. The reason I am posting this is so that you can compare.
Bruce

o

I personally think that it is not possible to identify or make distinction about a pepper sprout at this stage. Same variety might have different looking sprouts, germinate early or later. This might be due to the strength of a given seed or soil condition.
JMO

o

Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 8:22

I agree with seysonn. That is why I didn't really give an opinion the OP's seedlings. I just posted what my "Reaper" seedlings looked like so he could compare. But it is hard to tell until the plants get much bigger and start exhibiting more traits. Sometimes, it takes until fruit starts to form to be real sure.
Bruce

o

I started a thread questioning him and I got my answer. Search pepper joe legit on garden web.

o

I agree with seysonn and esox07, You might be able to tell what species the plant is as it grows bigger but to identify variety is almost impossible until after fruit set.

o

Well, it's not a Reaper, not even a pepper. The next set of leaves are growing stems about 1/2" long and are not even opening up yet. I pulled it and transplanted my last Reaper seed that germinated.

By the way, out of 24 seeds, 10 germinated.

This post was edited by kclost on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 16:56

o

At least you got a 50% ratio of germination I bought 10 from J** and out of 8 that I started 3 sprouted. Im just hoping they are truly reaper seeds once its all said and done. On a side note there are many gracious people on this forum that can help out with seeds just gotta post and see who replies. After voicing the concern over my P J** purchases of reaper and butch ts I was able to get some from a member on the board. As long as I can grow them properly I will have some to offer up next season. Good Luck

o

I started 6 reapers from him in an aerogarden starting tray and they all came up. They took 2-3weeks but they are doing well now. Sorry y'all aren't having any luck with them. The reapers are the 6 in the middle 2 rows.

This post was edited by grinhead24 on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 14:13

o

Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 12:39

I started two cells of Reapers with 4 seeds in each cell this year. Within 7 days, both cells had a couple pop. over the following two weeks, several of the un-germinated Reaper seeds did pop as well. This was unique to my Reapers. All my other varieties came up at about a 90% rate within the first 8 or 9 days. The other 10% never did.
Bruce

o

I purchased a bunch of pepper seeds from that vendor and my experience is, he frequently gets other varieties mixed in. I planted three ghost peppers in the garden and one of the three plants is actually turning out to be a habanero (and I didn't order any of those). Oh well.

o

Common theme....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Joe Legit?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here