Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beephoto

mild jalapenos

beephoto
10 years ago

I would love to know if anyone has done a side by side comparison with a few of the jalapeno varieties that are supposedly milder. Growing them near each other, in identical conditions as I read that conditions can affect the hotness. I've seen Tam Jalapeno, Sweet Jalapeno, and Pizza Pepper and am wondering how they compare. I'm not really able to handle too much heat in my peppers. I do want some heat though, to balance all the sweet peppers I'll be growing.

Comments (7)

• tomt226
    10 years ago

In my experience, TAMI peps have no heat, but good flavor. However occasionally you'll run into one with heat from the same bush.
    Serranos are more dependable for a heat level, and IMHO, have a superior flavor. Remove seeds and veins for milder stuff.
    Just grow a Bhut, and use the pepper puree sparingly in whatever you are cooking, or in salsas flavored with jalapenos to kick up the spiciness.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

That's an understatement about the Tams. My husband no longer trusts me. I ate one in the garden and it had very very little heat but really good flavor, so I picked a second one to take to get my husband's thoughts. He wouldn't eat it at first, figuring I was being mean, then he finally did, and immediately started screaming about how hot it was... I was never able to convince him that the one I ate from the same plant had no heat. I call most of the annuum's psychotic, cos they all seem to be like that. Heck, I once sliced a Beaver Dam in 1/2 to stuff, one side was really hot, the other side had no heat at all... now explain to me how it did that! ;-)
    Pam

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Pam
    DW doesn't trust me AT ALL about peppers, 'cause she's really sensitive to capsaicin.
    I used to grow a lot of TAMI's when they first came out and I'd pull tricks on people by munching one and then givin'em a regular jal.
    Really sick...but fun... ;-)

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Tam Mild is mild but not heatless like False Alarm, Fooled You, or Felicity.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In my experience, the heat in Jalapenos is mostly concentrated in the seeds membrane. Once you remove that part it has no heat.

• beephoto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As I should have known, I'm coming out of this conversation with ideas for MORE peppers that I want to try, instead of narrowing down the choices!!! I'm actually way more of a tomato gal, and narrowed those down to 6 varieties for 2014 (up from 2 in 2013 lol). I'm now at 8 pepper varieties on my list, both sweets and hots. I don't have enough room for these guys!!! I need a gardening buddy who thinks like I do, and will share seed packets with me lol

Barb

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Hey Barb, you want something with little heat and great flavor, try Pimento de Padron. Well, every once in awhile you will get a hot one, but most are mild, especially when picked green. But you grab some, toss them in a pan of olive oil fry them up, then sprinkle with salt... wonderful! They are a staple in my garden.
    Pam