Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Greenman's Peppers 2014

It's that time again.....and, as always, my deep thanks to those of you who have kept me supplied with the spiciest seeds available.

Here we are 10 days with 15/18 cells showing signs of germination. I'm most excited by the fact that I actually have Douglah this year! Two cells of seed from two sources - Jaime, your seeds sprouted yesterday (9 days) and the GeoSodja sprouted today (10 days).

How 'bout some germination times. Seeds sown 2/17/2014:
Day 4 - The Thai Chiles, Hungarian Wax, and Hatch.
Day 5 - Carolina Reaper from Ed Currie, all three seeds I sowed germinated.
Day 7 - Yellow Brain Strain and the first of the Black Pearl
Day 8 - Peach Bhut Jolokia and more Black Pearl.
Day 9 - Red Bhut Jolokia and the first Douglah.
Day 10 - Douglah, second seed source.

So, which seeds have resisted? One cell of Red Bhut Jolokia, one cell of Black Pearl, and one cell of Yellow 7-pot. At this point, however, I don't think I need any more plants. I've promised a few spares to my fellow pepper compatriots.

Better pics as the peppers grow. For now, an overview of the hatchlings....

Josh

The Thai, Hatch, and Hungarian....

Comments (150)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Wow great looking plants, crazy season we all are having and you all out in CA could use some rain and cooler temps. Your HHW x Monkey almost looks similar to a Ristra cayenne that's cool, have you tasted a pod yet? That yellow brain pod looks wicked hot.

Mark

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Those are some nice looking pods. A nice batch of superhots. The wax/monkeyface probably has great flavor too. It's a interesting cross. Let us know.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Nice Josh! Not so shady today. :)

Mark: we had a huge storm yesterday in Socal. it rained just enough(3 mins) to make it nice and steamy the rest of the evening :P

Kevin

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, Kevin, we didn't get any rain....but we got some of the clouds and a lot of that humidity. Uncomfortable to say the least ;-) My garden does get some intense sun from about 11:00 - 1:00, then it's back to mosaic sunlight.

Thanks, Mark and Ronny! I haven't tried the cross yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Should be hotter than a Hungarian....not sure what to expect as far as flavor. I will report back, of course...probably by the weekend.

Josh

Original Author
    9 years ago

A few more :-)

My first Carolina Reaper pod...there are several more on the plant, and all seem to have tails.

Peach Bhut Jolokia....lots of pods on the plant. It started out as the runt but it has sure caught up with the others. I'm hoping these pods elongate for the classic Bhut phenotype.

And the Red Bhut Jolokia....not entirely happy with this particular pod, but I won't be harvesting seeds from it. Several other pods are set, and they look good (although still very small).

Josh

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Once again you slowly creep up from behind and make my plants look like pepper newbie rejects. I guess somebody has to be the best.......wouldn't mind if I got to be that guy once. :)
    Amazing progress and awesome looking plants/pods. Watch out for that Douglah. If you've never tried it, it's a beast!

Tim

Original Author
    9 years ago

Tim, I appreciate it ;-) ....but you guys have me whipped for sure! I'm just glad to *finally* be showing a few pods....which you fellas have been showing for what seems like months now!

I have not yet tried a Douglah...it has been a "unicorn" for me the past two years, and now that I have a couple on the plant I am getting excited. I know it's going to hurt....bad!

I harvested the Hungarian X Monkey Face today, and I'll test it soon.

Josh

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I've really neglected this Thread!
    But I haven't been neglecting my plants....up in the early morning to make sure they have water and nutrients as this heavy heat continues to bake northern California. Let me start with some reviews.

The Douglah....is a monster. Very hot, with that earthy floral note that is common to chocolates. I think it would make a supreme powder.

The Hungarian X Monkey Face cross was terrible....tough skin with a red Bell pepper flavor that I kept burping up all day. The heat was mild. I guess I'll make a Goulash or paprika powder from them.

Yellow Brain Strain tasted great, slightly citrus, but getting into a sort of Hab flavor-zone, too, which isn't my favorite.

Now, on to the pics of this morning's harvest.

{{gwi:48153}}

Yellow Brain, perfect shape....

Glorious Douglahs....well worth the wait!

Special Douglah with a sick phenotype...

Peach Bhut Jolokia....the plant is loaded with these. Will be trying one today with friends.

And the Red Bhut Jolokia of course.

Last but not least, the Carolina Reaper, looking proper to me.

Josh

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Great shots Josh and beautiful looking pods! You're obviously working your annual mojo :-)

I gotta tell you, your red Bhuts made my mouth water. Your Douglahs on the other hand made me wince. You're a stronger (or crazier) man than I. I chomped on a Douglah once and it did a number on me like no pepper before or since. I still grow it, have one going this year, but I relegate the harvest to drying & powdering for mixing into my powder blends. I'll never put another piece of that spawn of Satan in or near my mouth again!

Your Reapers look to be growing true. The majority of mine look more like Morugas. A few look like regular Scorpions. Par for the course with the variety I guess.

I'm 100% with you on the Yellow Brain Strains heat and flavour. Although I do like habs the Brain Strains just don't do it for me. Maybe the original Red variety is different? Nice looking pods though.

Thanks for sharing,

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 16:04

9 years ago

Been blistering down here too, Josh. Supposed to get back to normal on Monday.

As usual, great looking pics and harvest! I got some of those Bhuts ready to pick myself. Been trying to isolate seed, but every bud/flower within the bags abort. :(

Kevin

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Well done, Josh.
    That is what I call "Doing in Style"

sey

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Gents!

It has been a hot Summer....last week we hit 100F and spent the other days in the mid to high 90F's. At least there's a wind to keep the air moving, though. Some of my larger plants are requiring water once a day.

Bill, the Douglah are no joke, that's for sure....now that I've had samples of all these pods, I won't be eating them raw again. Just too damned hot. Powder it is!

Yesterday I sampled the Peach Bhut Jolokia and it was delicious. Everyone agreed....truly fruity up front, even 'peachy' if you're creative. But the heat was more than I expected, and it kept creeping and creeping and creeping as Bhut's do. Wow, what a flavor, though.

Now, let's contrast this with the Carolina Reaper that I ate first yesterday. I was feeling tough, so I bit into the Reaper like it was an apple....and I chewed it thoroughly....until I had to spit it out. Flavor was so-so, but the heat was unreal. It was certainly hotter than the Moruga I had last year. But the real killer was the bitterness! Oily nasty bitterness that coated the mouth and just refused to leave. Had me sweating, swearing, tearing, nose running, drooling for a solid 10 minutes. Good grief! A nauseating flavor.

The Red Bhut's are still my favorite....and I'm glad that the phenotype has stayed true over the years. Your seed originally, Bill. I semi-isolated two plants this year, so that I can keep the classic Bhut shape going. Lots and lots of pods are starting to ripen now.

Kevin, let me know what you think of those Bhut's. I look forward to pics.

Speaking of pics, my sister got this one of me in the midst of the Carolina Reaper assault....she said, "Are you crying? Or are your eyes sweating?!" hahaha

Josh

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

LMAO Josh! You look like you just ate a lit BBQ briquette. I said; your a better man or crazier than me. Now I know you're just crazy ;-)) Seems like everything related to the Reaper is nauseating... development, stabilization, marketing right through to taste ;-)

Re. the Douglahs, maybe it's my genetic make up that makes them poisonous to me. Good to here you think they're crazy too.

My Peach Bhuts haven't started to ripen yet. Based on your description I'm really looking forward to trying them. I'm with you,, the Red Bhuts are still my favorite super hot.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha! Yeah, my tongue was scorched! Felt like a glowing coal in the mouth...hard to talk, drooling on myself, hurt to move the tongue at all! But it sure was fun for everyone watching, I suppose ;-)

I think you'll be very impressed by the Peach Bhut. Flavor and heat in a sexy package :-) I like it better than the Yellow Bhut, and I am excited to make a Peach Ghost Jam with some of these pods.

Josh

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Your plants did not disappoint as usual. I don't know how you always have such good looking plants and pods. I agree 100% on the Douglahs. They did a number on my stomach every time I tried them. This is the first year I didn't grow a traditional red bhut, and I regret it. That will definitely have a permanent spot on my grow list. The reaper is a beast as well. My first reaper pod to ripen was about the size of a dime. I cut it in half and tossed half of it in my mouth. It lit me up. I had to eat the second half with a cheese cracker. Congrats on such a successful season.

Tim

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Tim, I appreciate it!
    One day I'll work on the production level, and try to get it up closer to yours ;-) I liked your latest video. If you need some Red Bhut seeds, let me know.

Josh

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Josh, inspecting my plants yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find a lone ripe Peach Bhut.

Your description hits the nail on the head, a great fruity flavour. When I cut it open I was struck how much you can smell the fruit tones. I think this one's going to become a recurring must grow.

Bill

ps. I'm going to steal your description (with credit) in my upcoming post on a few more peppers. I couldn't describe it better ;-)

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

I may have to take you up on that offer. If I remember correctly, you have some very nice bhuts.

Tim

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bill, I'm stoked that you liked the description! And even happier that you liked the pepper! I think I'll grow the Red and Peach Bhut next year.

Tim, just let me know when you're ready. I'll start the seed harvesting next month.

Josh

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Very impressive pods josh! That douglah special looks crazy. I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised you didn't like the reapers . The main reason I like them is because they are not bitter at all to me . My pods look a little different from yours so maybe the shape isn't all that's not stable or my taste buds are just screwed up. Oh and I'm not crazy enough to bite into one yet :)

This post was edited by scott123456 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 12:36

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Scott!
    Bite into a Reaper, and then let me know if you detect any bitterness.....

Josh

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Haha no thanks I'll take your word for it

Original Author
    9 years ago

99F here on this Saturday in the golden West.

Had a good pull this morning.....all the phenotypes are spot on and looking very clean. I put together a mixed box for a buddy of mine to take to the Clamper (ECV) "Doin's" as part of their puke hazing ritual. These'll be killer.

First up, some nice Yellow Brain Strain:

Next up, some large and wonderful Douglah:

Carolina Reaper, just a few ripe, with many green on the plant:

The classic Red Bhut Jolokia - pods are slightly smaller this year, due mostly to the small container, I believe. The larger of the two plants has longer pods, from which I'll harvest seed:

Now the glorious newcomers, the Peach Bhut Jolokia. Very hard to photograph their true color, a true peach. Oh yes, they will be grown again. I hope the seeds aren't crossed....

And a plate of the peppers all together....

Josh

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Wow! Beautiful "pull". You gotta be happy Josh.

I'll admit, the Douglahs made me recoil from the screen. Man, I'm still not over the pain they inflicted.

Both of my Reaper plants, seed from different source, didn't grow out like yours. Really high heat but lacking in the flavor department.

Your Peaches look great.

Thanks for the update.

Bill

ps. I'm working on a new blend. I don't have what I need this season for Grim Reaper so I thought I'd try to put together a "really stupid hot" successor... Assassin's Choice.

If I live through the testing I'll send some your way ;-)

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

AMAZING! Those pods all look immaculate. I'll be asking for seeds.....go ahead and anticipate some seed begging. :)

Tim

9 years ago

Agree. Great looking pods, Josh!

Kevin

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Bill, Tim, and Kevin!

Bill, the Douglahs were the first to pod and the first to ripen, and the plant is loaded up again. I think I'm done eating these ones raw....I've had slices of four of these on different occasions, all with the same result...pain. Time for powder, methinks :-) And, speaking of powder, you know I'm game for whatever you mix up. Your powders are the best I've ever come across - smokiness, balance, and heat, along with the occasional garlic, onion, and salt.

Tim, full disclosure, these plants are touching each other and many pods are likely cross-pollinated, so the next generation probably won't look as immaculate. I did semi-isolate the Red Bhut Jolokia, though, since they're my favorite and I want to keep the strain as Ghostly and pure as I can. Those seeds should be kosher. I sure wish I'd separated the Peach Ghost, now that I see what an awesome pod they produce.

Kevin, this has been my best year. Luck of the weather, heavier fertilization, and frequent waterings.

Josh

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Beautiful pods!

I think I'm down for the YBS already, but now that I see them, those Douglahs are not like the ones that I grew. Looks like they have thicker flesh and the shape is different. And the Peach Bhut is amazing!

So I hereby beg for seeds. Or at least the next place in line for seeds.

Dennis

Original Author
    9 years ago

Howdy, folks!
    I picked 50 more Ghost peppers....28 Red and 22 Peach.
    I'll go through and select the largest, longest, gnarliest pods from which to harvest seed. Really, really wish I'd isolated the Peach Bhut....so I'll have to roll the dice and hope the seeds grow true.

Josh

Original Author
    9 years ago

A top view....

Original Author
    9 years ago

From the Red side....

Original Author
    9 years ago

From the Peach side....

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Beautiful Josh, just beautiful.

You're the Ghost man!

Bill.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Bill!
    By the way, my clamper buddy took an assortment of pods to the Doin's. Gave a slice of Douglah to a woman who handled the Ghost fine last year.....the Douglah sliver tore her up! Found her limit!

Josh

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Josh

Your buddy sounds like a great caring person. You know, helping people find their limits and all ;-))

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! Oh, he's not a caring fellow at all! ;-)
    He loves seeing folks squirm.....and I'm more than happy to contribute to the hazing rituals! A very good use of fresh peppers!

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Nice photos Josh.
    Pam

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Pam.
    More to come....Douglahs and Reapers are ripening, along with another wave of Red Ghosts!

Josh

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Josh -

Your peppers look wonderful !!

Sandy

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

I'm amazed at the size of your peppers. It seems they are all A+ grade pods. How in the world do you manage to do that?!

Tim

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

Nice photos, Josh. Some really nice looking peppers.

I like the overhead view of the bhut combo. Looks like the yin and yang of jolokia :0).

-Alex

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sandy, Tim, Alex, thanks for the great comments!

Tim, they're not all large, I assure you. On the experimental Red Bhut, the one grown in a 1-gallon container, I've found the majority of the pods to be smaller on average, which I directly correlate with the size of the container. That said, I've had a good season and have gotten quite a few "keepers," if you will.

Alex, I should have arranged the pods better! Could totally do a yin and yang!

Josh

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, this will probably be the last harvest of any significance.....I have a few pods left on the Peach Ghost, Douglah, Carolina Reaper, and Yellow Brain Strain....and quite a few on my second Red Bhut Jolokia plant. Not sure if the green pods will have time to ripen, but I think I have enough pods as it is. I'm currently dehydrating a large batch of pods.

Anyhow, pulled a nice amount of Reapers, Douglah, and Bhut Jolokia. The Douglah has been an incredible performer this whole season, throwing out brutally hot, tasty, and large well-shaped pods.

Josh

Douglah

More Douglah....

Bhut Jolokia....

Carolina Reapers....

More Carolina Reapers....

And all together....

9 years ago

Very nice, Josh! I just did a harvest also... will post pics soon.

Any rain up there yet?

Kevin

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, thanks, Kevin!
    Yeah, we've had rain....three decent rains, although the last only dropped 1/4 of an inch of water. Still, it's a relief. I've hardly had to water for a week.

Josh

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Great looking late season pods. I'm convinced that you either have the largest pods ever, or the smallest hands in the world. Those pods make mine look like tic tacs.

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Josh, wayyy too much heat there. Those pods look awesome. The Reapers look great. I have tried them for two years now and keep getting a cross/mis-labeled seed. I cannot imagine what you are going to do with all those super hots.
    Bruce

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, Bruce, I'm going to dry most of them.
    I'm also giving out sample bags of peppers to my friends. I didn't isolate the Carolina Reaper, but if you want to roll the dice again and try some of these seeds, I'm down. I probably won't grow the Reaper next season....didn't like the taste and too hot to be fun :-)

Tim, I guess I have medium hands.....but this particular pick of peppers happened to be very good sized, especially those Douglahs.....big, weighty bastards.

My final haul of Bhuts should be fairly large, too.

Josh

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, folks, that's all she wrote....the last of the peppers came down today. A few Hatch, a few Hungarian X Monkey Face, a Hungarian, a Yellow Brain Strain, a clutch of half-ripe Carolina Reapers, and a whole lot of hybrid Black Pearl X Thai chiles.

Josh

Original Author
    9 years ago

All in the pot!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms