Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenman's Peppers 2014

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 22:03

It's that time again.....and, as always, my deep thanks to those of you who have kept me supplied with the spiciest seeds available.

Here we are 10 days with 15/18 cells showing signs of germination. I'm most excited by the fact that I actually have Douglah this year! Two cells of seed from two sources - Jaime, your seeds sprouted yesterday (9 days) and the GeoSodja sprouted today (10 days).

How 'bout some germination times. Seeds sown 2/17/2014:
Day 4 - The Thai Chiles, Hungarian Wax, and Hatch.
Day 5 - Carolina Reaper from Ed Currie, all three seeds I sowed germinated.
Day 7 - Yellow Brain Strain and the first of the Black Pearl
Day 8 - Peach Bhut Jolokia and more Black Pearl.
Day 9 - Red Bhut Jolokia and the first Douglah.
Day 10 - Douglah, second seed source.

So, which seeds have resisted? One cell of Red Bhut Jolokia, one cell of Black Pearl, and one cell of Yellow 7-pot. At this point, however, I don't think I need any more plants. I've promised a few spares to my fellow pepper compatriots.

Better pics as the peppers grow. For now, an overview of the hatchlings....

Josh

The Thai, Hatch, and Hungarian....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenman's Peppers 2014

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 22:18

super healthy looking josh. Is there anything but bark and perlite in there? I will be looking for updates as things progress.
Bruce

o

Hey, Bruce, thanks!
There's some Turface, red lava rock, and even a small amount of quartz grit in the mix. Oh, and guess what? My Black Pearl have green cotyledons this go around....let's hope they turn purple in a hurry :-) More pics as things progress, for sure.

Josh

o

Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 22:44

My BP's came up green mostly black but some green as well. They turned all black pretty quickly though. I think the light source has a lot to do with it. Possibly the soil and nutrients as well. That early test BP that I grew stayed green forever and as soon as I put it under the floro lights, it blackened up almost over night. The main planting of BP's that I did came up partly green but quickly changed to all black within a couple days. They were under floros the whole time. This picture is from a week ago after they were about two weeks from planting. You can tell which are the BP's.

o

O' yeah ! congrats Josh. And I see you sow generously. Are you going to separate them?

BTW: The other day I went to O'Reiley Auto Parts. Bought a 25LBS os floor dry (100% DE, for $9). I took a sample, weighed it and soaked it for couple hours, strained it, weighed it again. It doubled in weight, almost exactly. So remembering that Josh uses it in his starter mix, I also "Copy Cated" it and mixed some with my starting mix. How bout that !
I am going to use some to kill slugs with and other them creatures.

o

Be sure to take pics, Seysonn....we love pics 'round here ;-)
I haven't used actual Floor Dry, but I use Turface - and I have friends who use pure Floor Dry to start seeds. I think you'll do well.

Bruce, your Black Pearls are lookin' sweet. And those Aji Limons are one hell of a pepper! Delicious fresh and incredible as a powder....citrusy, bright, yellow, and hot. Probably the best fish and poultry powder. If you haven't tried them before, you will be impressed! But beware the heat....it might be more than you want.

Josh

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 10:02

Yah, I am sure the heat will test my bounds, but that is OK. How good of producers are the Aji Limon's?

BTW: Do you use any of that Turface/floor dry in your summer 5-1-1?
Bruce

o

Aji Limon are prolific producers! Tons of those small awesome pods.

In past seasons I have used Turface occasionally in place of the peat component. For example, one season I used half a part of potting mix and half a part of turface. It seemed to work well. I might use it this season, since I have about 40 pounds of turface in my garage :-)

Josh

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 10:55

OK, I was kind of thinking it might hold on to a bit of moisture for those hot dry sunny july and August days when it seems you have to water twice a day to keep the 5-1-1 from drying out.
Bruce

o

Well Josh, you're certainly packin some heat this year!

Plants are off to a good start.

Keep up with the pics.

Rick

o

Hey Josh,

What Rick said!

I guess I should get my act together and get a grow log started for 2014 ;-)

Bill

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 16:56

Yah, if you don't log it, it didn't happen.
Bruce

o

Nice start Josh! I do a pretty porous starter mix like that too but after I set the seed I screen fine mix over it to keep them more in contact with moisture to reduce casings from staying on.

The BP's you sent me didn't fare too well the first try, so I have another batch in paper towel. I did get a couple of the bhuts to sprout, though. 2 chocolate and one red. Hope they make it, because it looked like the seeds got crushed a tad in shipping and not sure about the other seeds I didn't sow. No biggy though -- as long as I can get these up and going, I'll be ecstatic. Got PLENTY of Naga, bhut? and 7 pot powders.

This years grow for Bhuts is more for pure seed saving than anything else. That and sauce. Got plenty of that too LOL

Looking forward to more great pics.

Thanks again! By the way, finally getting some significant rain down here.

Kevin

o

Howdy, all!

Well, at Day 11, I have good news. I see activity from my second Red Bhut Jolokia cell, which means that 17/18 cells have germinated.....and that brings me to a 94% germination rate. That's the best I've had. The only seeds not to sprout were the Yellow 7-Pot from a buddy in Texas.

Kevin, we got 3.5 inches of rain out of the recent storms....very nice the past couple days. I collected some rain water to use for my seedlings. As for the Black Pearl (and the crushed seeds), so sorry about that - I'll probably switch to the padded envelopes that folks like Jaime and Bill use from here on out. The Black Pearls have been resistant for me, too....they've all sprouted now, but took as long as the superhots to do so, and they're real slow once they do sprout.

Thank ya, Rick! And, Bill, get that grow-log goin' ;-)

Josh

o

Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 15:12

Sounds like your season is off to a great start Josh. Keep it up.
Throw up a photo next time.
Bruce

o

Definitely, Bruce! More photos to come :-)

Josh

o

Josh.. No worries. In fact, that was the most organized and packed self-made bubble envelope I've ever seen. Your penmanship is exquisite! I wouldn't switch -- maybe just tape up the bubble wrap. I think as they went through the machine, one edge of the envelope slipped and the choc bhuts got crushed a tad. But like I said, got 2 chocs and 1 red up and going. It's all good to me!

:)

Great start for you on the germ rates and yes -- much needed rain. I think we've gotten a couple inches with a tad more today and maybe tomorrow. I think L.A. fared better than us. Looks like you're going to get more soon. That may have been it for us. Usually clears out after the equinox :(

Anywho, happy peppering!

Kevin

o

Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 17:14

Glad you Cali guys are getting some good rain. Both NoCal and SoCal, I think. Too bad that once it gets to the mountains it becomes snow. Have I said that I am sick of this winter yet?

o

Bruce, the rain is nice....but what we really need is the snowpack in the mountains so that the moisture will be released slowly throughout the Spring and Summer. Wish you guys across the nation could get a break, though ;-)

The first appearance of true leaves on the Thai, Hatch, and Hungarian.

o

Excellent looking plants Josh! Looks like you're off to a good start. I can't wait till we start seeing some pods. Keep those pics coming!

Tim

o

Looking good, Josh. Just right timing for zone 8, I would think.

I started mine way too early. Mistake == Experience. haha
But I am keeping them in 3-4" pots until plant out or hardening off.
We have crazy weather up here : It is neither cold nor warm. Temps in mid 30's to low 50's range will linger on til mid April or even longer.
Got to do some cool crops, for sure.

o

Update....good color, compact growth, no issues thus far.
I did the first round of seedling thinning - snipped out the excess Thai and Hungarian seedlings, as well as a couple redundant superhots.

Overview.

I will do a second round of thinning for the Thai seedlings (on the left), then I'll separate the keepers and pot them into their own containers.

Superhots, slowly growing. I will attempt to separate the duplicates so that I can give away the extras. Four Douglah, two Reapers, two Red Bhuts, and one Peach Bhut.

More Thai, Black Pearl (that I haven't thinned yet), and a lone Yellow Brain Strain....

[for some reason, a duplicate image of the Thai/Hatch/Hungarian keeps showing up in the Preview....]

o

Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 15:31

Yah, those certainly do look like healthy seedlings. They are coming along really well. A couple of those cells are really crowded. It is hard to snip those extras, isn't it???
Bruce

o

Hey, Bruce, yeah it takes some nerve to cut them out ;-)
When I seed the Thai and the Black Pearl....I just crack the pod in half and dump the contents into the cells without counting the seed. Then, of course, almost all of them come up! I like to give the seedlings some time to develop, so that I can see which ones have the best true leaves before I snip the rest.

Josh

o

Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 16:41

Yep, that is about how I approach my culling activities. I cut them back to 2 or 3 fairly early on but I dont go down to one until after I see at least one set of true leaves. I am going to have to some culling soon on my second round of seedlings.
Bruce

o

Hi greenman those peppers look really cool but I was wondering where do u get your seeds im looking to start growing peppers and cant find any pepper seeds in stores any suggestions????

From someone who wants to starts growing peppers

o

Most of the seeds I have were sent to me by generous members at this very Forum, or from members of gardening groups on Facebook.

Josh

o

Ye gods man tell us your soil formula, its like candy!

o

Hehe, thanks, Valdo. It's a mix of fir bark, perlite, and turface (with some red lava rock, too).

Josh

o

Dang amigo, but that stuff on the market. It looks like trailmix!!!

o

That's what everyone says, haha, Trailmix or crunchy granola cereal ;-) This mix is based off the principles of the Gritty Mix and the 5-1-1 - it's basically just a 5-1-1 that uses Turface instead of peat/potting mix.

Josh

o

Really nice looking plants Josh. I'm always impressed with those who can cull. I'm a sucker, I just can't kill a healthy plant, so I end up with a ton - I can't even throw away cuttings that I take off of my coleus ;-(.

btw, dumb question, I always see written that Aji Limon and Lemon Drop are the same, but some of the photos of the Aji fruit do not look like my Lemon Drop fruit. So, guys, are they the same plant?
Pam

o

Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 10:55

Pam, I seem to remember seeing them being refered to as one in the same as well, but then others say they are different. I think it is kind of the Hot Hungarian Wax/Hot Banana Pepper issue.
Bruce

o

Yeah, Bruce is probably right....confusion of a couple peppers going by the name Aji Limon / Lemon Drop. I know for a fact that the pepper is given both names by marketers. This year at the Farm, we're growing several different Aji Limon seed sources, one of which is packaged Aji Limon / Lemon Drop. Those tasty little peppers made such an exceptional yellow powder that we're growing a bunch more :-)

Josh

o

Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 21:12

Josh: So those peppers that were so tasty, what were they actually? Aji Limon or Lemon Drop? Or neither?
Bruce

o

Well, Aji Limon is what we grew last year (from my identifying by images on the 'Net).....but over the Winter, the Farm ordered more seeds from different sources than last year.....so that means we get to find out if these new Aji Limon are the same as the others we grew. A few of the images on the packaging have caused me to think that these new seeds might be a larger podded (yellow) variety. Always fun and interesting :-)

Josh

o

Still looking good Josh, as always!

That's funny about the Black Pearl.. I started a few more after failing on 1st and one solo cup has green leaves and one has black(2 seedlings in each), but there's nothing different about the conditions whatsoever. They even sit right next to each other under the lights.

Kevin

o

I'm thinking about culling the ones that aren't purple/black.....just to be sure.... ;-)

Josh

o

We'll do an experiment. I'll let mine go and see what happens. they're slow like chinense though. I hope these ones make it. Cotyledons are tiny!

Kevin

o

I am SOOOOOO confused now! I had grown Lemon Drops from Totally Tomatoes for several years. They were really good, strong lemon flavor and hot, and extremely prolific. I didn't make powder out of them, sounds like a good idea. Well, this year I had germination problems so a friend was ordering seeds (I will have to look to see from what source) and they had Aji Limons, with "lemon Drop" in parens. The fruit really didn't look like my Lemon drops, my lemon drops are kinda sunken in on the sides, making them more triangular in shape (if you slice the top off and look down on it), these did not appear to have the sunken feature. I am wondering if they are the same. I hope you are being good with the labels so you know exactly which plant came from where. I'd be very interesting in hearing the results. I did have one of my old seeds germinate so I can compare it to the new ones, but I'm curious now. ;-)
Pam

o

What method did you use to germinate Reaper seed.I tried
bag method and lost all of my seed.

o

Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 14:05

Josh: That would be one of the first criteria I would use in choosing the ones to cull. In fact, one of my BP's was green where the others were mostly dark colored and I took out the green one. He looked the part otherwise, but it just made the choice easy.

And as far as the Aji Limon vs Lemon Drop goes, I have what i think are Aji Limon's growing. i will have to wait and see what comes out of them. I think maybe we should start a thread this summer/fall and post some pictures and compare and try to determine what each of us is really growing.

An oh, a new format for the list. When I first see these changes, they really bother me but I am sure this will be fine in a few days.
Bruce

o

Hey, guys and gals, I think I'm going to do some separating/re-potting this weekend....we'll see :-)

As for the Black Pearls, perhaps I'll keep them and just do a side-by-side for future reference. If the ones with green cotyledons don't color up properly, or if the pod shape is different, I'll know I have hybrids.

Pam, the Aji with which I'm familiar are fairly tiny with sunken sides, delicate skin, sometimes a bumpy skin (like my Yellow Ghost peppers). Will do a comparison, and I'll take lots of pictures at the Farm.

Tandrew, I just germinated all my seeds directly in the mix.....sowed the seed, covered the cells with plastic wrap, and waited. The Reapers came up in 5 days.....fastest superhot I've ever germinated.

Josh

o

Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 14:19

Tandrew: Yep, my Reapers came up in 8 days. I might have a few seeds left. If you PM me your address, I will mail you some.

Josh: I am looking forward to seeing if I have Aji Limon or Lemon Peppers growing. I will be looking forward to comparing mine to yours and others later this year. Either way, I will be happy.
I am looking forward to a picture of your potted up seedlings Josh.

Bruce

o

Nice seedlings, Josh! I'm impressed not only by your germination rate, but also with your speed to germination. I think that chinense seeds have taken me 3-6 weeks in the past, though the other species were all under 10 days like you. I think you'll be very happy with your crop this year. Douglahs in particular are really special.

The Aji Limon/Lemon Drop thing is confusing indeed. Interestingly, that plant is a baccatum, though there's also aji limo, limo, and limon, three distinct chinense varieties.

Last year I started seeds of 30 varieties in true 5:1:1 and it worked out quite well for me though they needed to be watered every other day or so. This year, I'm babysitting some conifer grafts and with less time on my hands I decided to take a break from seedlings, so I've pre-ordered my plants from Cross Country Nurseries. With their amazing selection and $3.75 each, it was just too easy. But I do miss the tiny little tykes and I'm looking forward to your updates for a taste of what I'm missing.

Alex

o

Josh, that sounds like my lemon drops, except when you say "tiny" what do you mean? My lemon drops .... This is going by memory (it's been a couple of years since I grew them) were about 1.5-2" long and about 1/2" or less around, and tapering at the end.
Pam

o

Thanks, Alex! Some of the seeds are still sprouting, over three weeks later. I just noticed a couple more Red and Peach Bhut seeds have germinated. Alas, they won't make the final cut ;-)

Pam, that's exactly the size....I guess I consider those "tiny" compared to Jalapenos, et cetera. I wish I had a good picture, but the woman with whom I work took the worst pictures last season. Here's one of the better images from the end of the Summer.

Josh

o

Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 1:11

Wow, that is lots of peppers. By the way, nice nail polish Josh.

I too had several peppers sprout 2-3 weeks after planting them. I usually have one or two but this year I have 5 or 6 at least.

Bruce

o

Dang! you beat me to it Bruce!!

Ok Josh, those look like my Lemon Drops. I hope that means they are all the same.
Pam

o

Thanks....you know I like to take care of my nails, hehehe ;-)

That was just one flat of the Aji peppers, and we had to harvest because the frost was coming (thus all the green pods). But throughout the season, we harvested many hundreds more of the bright yellow ripe pods.

I've thinned my seedlings further....so now I have two seedlings per cell, max, and I will attempt to separate these this weekend.

Josh

o

Josh your plants look great! Gald to see a 2014 season post, always enjoy reading and learning from your posts. How are your Douglah doing? I was not sure which ones they were in the pics. I have two growing and they are both the worse looking, they are runts while all others are surpassing them even the Manzano's. From the looks of all the peppers in the pics you posted they are all doing well so your Douglah are doing better than mine, are they a weaker variety?

Mark

o

Hey, thanks, Mark.
The Douglah are doing quite poorly by comparison....weak, and with some sort of leaf discoloration. I need to re-pot all the seedlings to really see what's going on in the root-zone. I will keep you updated.

Josh

o

Hey Josh, mine are displaying leaf discoloration, but I thought it was just the light source they are splotchy green and purple. Did you overwinter your manzano? Looking forward to your updates.

Mark

o

Interesting!
As for the Manzano....no, I let it go this Winter when the freeze hit. Quite a shame, too, since there were about fifteen green pods on the plant. I liked the flavor, I thought it was a unique pepper, but didn't justify the labor and, in particular, the space required to winter it. I will probably do a red Rocoto next go round.

Josh

o

Last year I had five Black Pearls come up. Two were considerably greener than the others when little but turned black soon enough.

Those yellow pods look like my "Lemon Drop" last year.

Dennis

o

Yes, Dennis, that's what they are. Aji limo/n, Lemon Drop.

Josh

o

Hello! Things are speeding right along this season. My seedlings are lush and fat compared to my plants last year. One of the Thai chiles is branching and putting out a bud already. Most of these are about a month and a half now.

Josh

o

Nice Josh! Lookin pretty.

My annuums are budding too and they're pretty young themselves. Getting them in the ground as soon as the heat wave is gone.

Kevin

o

Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 8:44

Yah, Josh, your seedlings always look great. I mean, they all look perfect...sighhhhhh!

o

Hey Josh,

Your season is off to a very great start. The top group of peppers are the two in the middle Douglah? If so they have surpassed mine in size already, they are very slow growers or we got the same seed stock? I gave a weak dose of ferts still nothing while all others are doing great.

Mark

o

So when is the big transplant day? I get such itches to throw the birds from the nest. In my region it aint much of a problem.

o

Kevin, why wouldn't a heat wave be good?

o

Hey, guys, thanks! I'm very pleased so far....

Valdo, no transplanting until May :-) Our overnight temps are still in the chilly 40F's.

Mark, the peppers in the top-middle are both Carolina Reapers. The Douglahs are on the far left, top and bottom (with a late-start Peach Bhut Jolokia between them).

Josh

o

Valdo: Not when they're young. Mid 90's is going to be a great thing to warm the soil, but transplanting in those temps is not very wise.

Side note(has nothing to do with my peppers at the moment)---

When it comes to flower and pod set, extended periods >95F is not a good thing. Even though plants like toms, peppers, squashes, etc like warm temps, they don't like TOO warm. That's why places like Texas and the deserts have difficulty sometimes-- it just never cools down for good flower production.

3 things that will help those that have weeks on end of high 90's and triple digits---

Heavy mulch
Shade cloth
Containers(so you can move them to cooler places in the middle of the day)

Kevin

o

Your plants are looking great Josh, but I'm not surprised lol.

Keep up the good work!

Rick

o

Noted, this all goes in the debate that I am having about whether or not to put them in front yard. For reasons beyond me, I am drawn to containers.

o

Don't. Containers are portable and thus provide a great temptation to jealous neighbors / passersby.

Or you could bury the containers...

o

Looking beyond good Josh. Glad I was finally able to catch up ! One thing I have noticed about the Douglah variety is they seem to demand more NPK than any other variety I have grown. Hope this will help turn them into monsters :)

o

Thanks, Rick and Jaime!
Good tip, Jaime, I'll do an extra fertilization for the Douglah, although they seem to be pulling their weight, finally. Yesterday, I took all the seedlings out to the shade on the back deck....

Josh

o

...the peppers have officially outgrown the space under the lights, and so I left them outside all together for the first time last night.

o

Very nice plants! My Moruga Scorpion looked like the one on the upper right before hardening and finally in the garden.

Keep us updated!

Dave

o

Thanks, Dave, the one in the upper right is a Thai chile...maybe you mean the upper left? That monster is supposedly a Yellow Brain strain, so it should bear pods very similar to the Moruga (which is a devil of a pepper).

Josh

o

That's the one I meant :) Upper left. Wider leaves.
I've seen the Brain Strain on YouTube..crazy!
Do you have them outside yet?

o

Yeah, I've been hardening them off outside for the past three days....but last night we snapped back down to 40F, which no doubt will slow their growth for the next few days. I need to be more vigilant.

Josh

o

Here we are nearly a month later, and I've finally transferred a few of the superhots into their final 5-gallon homes. I'll pot the rest this weekend, and plant the Thai, Hungarian, and Hatch chiles in the ground. I'm still considering what to do with the off-color Black Pearls, whether they'll go in-ground or in pots.....

In this pic are two Douglah, a Carolina Reaper, a Red Bhut Jolokia, and a Peach Bhut Jolokia.

Josh

o

Feels good to finally get em all out, huh Josh?

Looking forward to your progress throughout the season.

Kevin

o

Thanks, Kevin, it sure does. Having all those seedlings on my deck was giving me claustrophobic anxiety. I'll handle the rest this weekend after the high heat passes. Soil should be good and warm by then :-)

Josh

o

I'm always amazed at how beautiful your plans are....well amazed and jealous.

Tim

o

Cheers, Tim, thanks for the nice words :-)
I'm just lucky to be able to baby them as I do. Up close you can see the bugs holes in the leaves.

Josh

o

Josh,

Your season is looking great! Looking forward to seeing pics of pods off your peach Bhut that one sounds like an interesting plant, a review of the taste would be great too. I just got my plants out this past weekend and they are doing well. I just gave away 25 plants, I am trying to hold it together :)

Mark

o

Tue, May 13, 14 at 9:56

Yah, once again some great looking plants Josh. They look happy in their new homes.

PS: the little bug holes in the leaves give them character.
Photobucket
Bruce

o

They all look great Josh!

Tell that peach to get busy! I'm anxious to see it. lol...

JoJo

o

Mark, good grief, you gave away more plants than I'm growing! ;-) Hehehe. I have a few that are going to my brother next weekend. Feels good to lighten the load a bit. I'll certainly inundate the Forum with pics of the various pods...and I'll review the flavors for sure.

Bruce, thanks, that's what I tell myself....outdoor plants lose that pristine look...gives 'em character, like a scar across the cheek. I think they're pretty healthy, too - probably the healthiest and most developed batch of peppers I've raised to date. The secret....fertilizer. Osmocote in the seed-starting mix, Osmocote in the 4-inch pots. Truth be told, I've hardly touched the Foliage Pro. Yet.

JoJo, thanks! I know you get a double dose between GardenWeb and Facebook. The Peach Bhut is draggin' its dandy heels....

Well, today I planted the in-ground Pepper Patch. I have two Hatch chiles, two Hungarian Wax, two hybrid Black Pearls, and four Thai chiles. Here they are, as of an hour ago.....

Josh

o

Warm temps, water, and fertilizer....now the plants have no excuse not to grow ;-)

o

Hi, Josh

Got any pics or details about your lighting setup?

o

Looking very good Josh! Keep the pics coming :-)

Dave

o

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 14 at 15:59

Warm temps, water, and fertilizer....now the plants have no excuse not to grow ;-)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Well said Josh.
I am still missing real warm temps.

Speaking of fertilizing, I am seeking your advice on WHAT and HOW. I am a REAL peppernovice (not like TIM) hehe

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 8:33

Josh... Looking good, as always. Keep up the great work, and can't wait to see the pod pics!

Jay

o

Thanks, guys!

Nuwanda, I use a simple "jump start" CFL set up. Pic attached.

Dave and Jay, I can't wait to share some pod pics! I've got a few small green pods on the annuums and frutescenses, but the chinenses are many months off.

Seysonn, I fertilize once a week with Foliage Pro. There is some slow-release Osmocote in the mix, too.

Josh

o

Josh : I really like your posts with photos and details. You are a gifted teacher. I'm curious about what kind of Osmocote you use. I stopped using the Osmocote All Purpose 15-9-12 when they removed the calcium and switched to Dynamite All Purpose. My first love in summer is tomatoes, and I want to give them as much calcium as I can. If you're using the formula without calcium, do you have other sources that make up for that? Or do you think it's less important with peppers?

o

Thanks so much!
You know, I never used the Osmocote Plus....just the standard 19-6-12. I also add some Lime to my mix, and I fertilize with Foliage Pro which has all the essentials. My plants could probably use more calcium this year, as I went very light on the Lime. We'll see what happens....

Josh

o

Looking great as usual Josh. I also mix Osmocote into my medium. That's in addition to lime, blood meal, and bone meal.

Seysonn.......I am a novice! ;)

Tim

o

Hi Tim.
I just watched your video. Novice ? haha.

Josh, thanks. I should try Foliage pro.

o

The first "Hatch" chiles....first time growing these and first harvest....can't wait to give them a try! I've heard so many good things about this variety.

Josh

o

Never grown Anaheims, Josh??? Or Hatch? Which are just Anaheims if not grown in Hatch, NM. Kind of like Champagne or San Marzano maters.

Kevin

o

Yeah, that's why I put the name "Hatch" in quotes ;-)
I haven't personally grown Anaheims, either, although we have grown them at the Farm....and they're tasty.

I'm grilling a Tri-tip tonight, so I'm going to grill one of these babies, too.

Josh

o

Looking great Josh, as usual ;-) You seem to be batting a 1000 the past few seasons.

I agree with Kevin re the Hatch chiles. Funny, I was thumbing through Dave Dewitt's book; 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes a few days ago. Here's what he had to say about the Hatch chile.

Occasionally, New Mexican chiles are identified by their original grower (such as “Barker”) or by a regional appellation (“Chimayo,” “Hatch,” or “Luna County”), which further confuses the issue. I should point out that Hatch is not a chile variety, and not enough chiles are grown in the vicinity of that little town to supply all the roadside vendors that call their chiles by that name. The Hatch chile is a marketing myth, and vendors in that town regularly import them from other locations and call them “Hatch”.

Bill

o

Cool. Yes they are tasty. One of my staples. Skinning them is a pita, but worth it.

Not to worry though. New Mexicans will staunchly defend hatch Anahems. I digress though -- I've had TRUE Hatch and, to my palate, there's no difference in flavor to So Cal Anaheims.

Btw, yours look kinda small for a fully mature Anaheim. Let them stay on the plant and get bigger and you'll be rewarded with a fleshier pepper that's much easier to skin. Don't let them ripen to red though unless you're saving seed. The red ones loose to much flesh when skinning. Plus, there's much better large Annuums to DRY imo.

Yum... tri-tip! For me, it's BBQ/grilled chicken.

:)

Kevin

o

Hi, Josh

I asked about your lights above. Do you have a better pic of your setup? It seems quite small considering the number of plants. Wattage? Number of bulbs? Size of reflector? I'm growing under lights for the first time this year and wondering how many lumens I can get away with for good early growth. I just want to give them a month's head start.

o

Thanks, Bill, I do recall reading that before, re: the Myth of the "Hatch." Guess I'll refer to these as my green peppers, inspired by Hatch, hehehe ;-)

Kevin, you're right...but my impatience got the better of me! The plant is still small, too, and I'd like it to size up some more before the next flush of peppers. I'll let the next pods get larger. After roasting this one, I'm going to put it in a plastic bag to do the steam "peeling" trick. Enjoy your bbq! It's still 93°F up here (5:39pm) and it feels it!

Nuwanda, I'm sorry I don't have a better pic. My lights are stored away until next year at this point. It's a small set-up, just two 2-foot CFL's, and that's it. Very basic. I'll include a link to the product for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jump Start Grow Light System - 2 Ft.

o

Time for an update! It has been hot, miserably hot, and the plants resent it! However, they are finally setting pods. Wish me luck!

Here are four of the superhots (left to right) - Peach Bhut Jolokia, Carolina Reaper, Douglah, and Yellow Brain Strain:

Hybrid - Hungarian Wax X Yellow Monkey Face....finally ripening!

Douglah! These are the first two pods that set weeks ago....but there are many setting on the plant now! Very excited about this one. Thanks again to Jaime!

And Yellow Brain Strain....there are finally a few other pods on this plant. This is the first pod that set, and sized up quickly in just nine days.

Josh

o

Wow great looking plants, crazy season we all are having and you all out in CA could use some rain and cooler temps. Your HHW x Monkey almost looks similar to a Ristra cayenne that's cool, have you tasted a pod yet? That yellow brain pod looks wicked hot.

Mark

o

Those are some nice looking pods. A nice batch of superhots. The wax/monkeyface probably has great flavor too. It's a interesting cross. Let us know.

o

Nice Josh! Not so shady today. :)

Mark: we had a huge storm yesterday in Socal. it rained just enough(3 mins) to make it nice and steamy the rest of the evening :P

Kevin

o

Yeah, Kevin, we didn't get any rain....but we got some of the clouds and a lot of that humidity. Uncomfortable to say the least ;-) My garden does get some intense sun from about 11:00 - 1:00, then it's back to mosaic sunlight.

Thanks, Mark and Ronny! I haven't tried the cross yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Should be hotter than a Hungarian....not sure what to expect as far as flavor. I will report back, of course...probably by the weekend.

Josh

o

A few more :-)

My first Carolina Reaper pod...there are several more on the plant, and all seem to have tails.

Peach Bhut Jolokia....lots of pods on the plant. It started out as the runt but it has sure caught up with the others. I'm hoping these pods elongate for the classic Bhut phenotype.

And the Red Bhut Jolokia....not entirely happy with this particular pod, but I won't be harvesting seeds from it. Several other pods are set, and they look good (although still very small).

Josh

o

Once again you slowly creep up from behind and make my plants look like pepper newbie rejects. I guess somebody has to be the best.......wouldn't mind if I got to be that guy once. :)
Amazing progress and awesome looking plants/pods. Watch out for that Douglah. If you've never tried it, it's a beast!

Tim

o

Tim, I appreciate it ;-) ....but you guys have me whipped for sure! I'm just glad to *finally* be showing a few pods....which you fellas have been showing for what seems like months now!

I have not yet tried a Douglah...it has been a "unicorn" for me the past two years, and now that I have a couple on the plant I am getting excited. I know it's going to hurt....bad!

I harvested the Hungarian X Monkey Face today, and I'll test it soon.

Josh

o

Wow, I've really neglected this Thread!
But I haven't been neglecting my plants....up in the early morning to make sure they have water and nutrients as this heavy heat continues to bake northern California. Let me start with some reviews.

The Douglah....is a monster. Very hot, with that earthy floral note that is common to chocolates. I think it would make a supreme powder.

The Hungarian X Monkey Face cross was terrible....tough skin with a red Bell pepper flavor that I kept burping up all day. The heat was mild. I guess I'll make a Goulash or paprika powder from them.

Yellow Brain Strain tasted great, slightly citrus, but getting into a sort of Hab flavor-zone, too, which isn't my favorite.

Now, on to the pics of this morning's harvest.

Yellow Brain, perfect shape....

Glorious Douglahs....well worth the wait!

Special Douglah with a sick phenotype...

Peach Bhut Jolokia....the plant is loaded with these. Will be trying one today with friends.

And the Red Bhut Jolokia of course.

Last but not least, the Carolina Reaper, looking proper to me.

Josh

o

Great shots Josh and beautiful looking pods! You're obviously working your annual mojo :-)

I gotta tell you, your red Bhuts made my mouth water. Your Douglahs on the other hand made me wince. You're a stronger (or crazier) man than I. I chomped on a Douglah once and it did a number on me like no pepper before or since. I still grow it, have one going this year, but I relegate the harvest to drying & powdering for mixing into my powder blends. I'll never put another piece of that spawn of Satan in or near my mouth again!

Your Reapers look to be growing true. The majority of mine look more like Morugas. A few look like regular Scorpions. Par for the course with the variety I guess.

I'm 100% with you on the Yellow Brain Strains heat and flavour. Although I do like habs the Brain Strains just don't do it for me. Maybe the original Red variety is different? Nice looking pods though.

Thanks for sharing,

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 16:04

o

Been blistering down here too, Josh. Supposed to get back to normal on Monday.

As usual, great looking pics and harvest! I got some of those Bhuts ready to pick myself. Been trying to isolate seed, but every bud/flower within the bags abort. :(

Kevin

o

Well done, Josh.
That is what I call "Doing in Style"

sey

o

Thanks, Gents!

It has been a hot Summer....last week we hit 100F and spent the other days in the mid to high 90F's. At least there's a wind to keep the air moving, though. Some of my larger plants are requiring water once a day.

Bill, the Douglah are no joke, that's for sure....now that I've had samples of all these pods, I won't be eating them raw again. Just too damned hot. Powder it is!

Yesterday I sampled the Peach Bhut Jolokia and it was delicious. Everyone agreed....truly fruity up front, even 'peachy' if you're creative. But the heat was more than I expected, and it kept creeping and creeping and creeping as Bhut's do. Wow, what a flavor, though.

Now, let's contrast this with the Carolina Reaper that I ate first yesterday. I was feeling tough, so I bit into the Reaper like it was an apple....and I chewed it thoroughly....until I had to spit it out. Flavor was so-so, but the heat was unreal. It was certainly hotter than the Moruga I had last year. But the real killer was the bitterness! Oily nasty bitterness that coated the mouth and just refused to leave. Had me sweating, swearing, tearing, nose running, drooling for a solid 10 minutes. Good grief! A nauseating flavor.

The Red Bhut's are still my favorite....and I'm glad that the phenotype has stayed true over the years. Your seed originally, Bill. I semi-isolated two plants this year, so that I can keep the classic Bhut shape going. Lots and lots of pods are starting to ripen now.

Kevin, let me know what you think of those Bhut's. I look forward to pics.

Speaking of pics, my sister got this one of me in the midst of the Carolina Reaper assault....she said, "Are you crying? Or are your eyes sweating?!" hahaha

Josh

o

LMAO Josh! You look like you just ate a lit BBQ briquette. I said; your a better man or crazier than me. Now I know you're just crazy ;-)) Seems like everything related to the Reaper is nauseating... development, stabilization, marketing right through to taste ;-)

Re. the Douglahs, maybe it's my genetic make up that makes them poisonous to me. Good to here you think they're crazy too.

My Peach Bhuts haven't started to ripen yet. Based on your description I'm really looking forward to trying them. I'm with you,, the Red Bhuts are still my favorite super hot.

o

Haha! Yeah, my tongue was scorched! Felt like a glowing coal in the mouth...hard to talk, drooling on myself, hurt to move the tongue at all! But it sure was fun for everyone watching, I suppose ;-)

I think you'll be very impressed by the Peach Bhut. Flavor and heat in a sexy package :-) I like it better than the Yellow Bhut, and I am excited to make a Peach Ghost Jam with some of these pods.

Josh

o

Your plants did not disappoint as usual. I don't know how you always have such good looking plants and pods. I agree 100% on the Douglahs. They did a number on my stomach every time I tried them. This is the first year I didn't grow a traditional red bhut, and I regret it. That will definitely have a permanent spot on my grow list. The reaper is a beast as well. My first reaper pod to ripen was about the size of a dime. I cut it in half and tossed half of it in my mouth. It lit me up. I had to eat the second half with a cheese cracker. Congrats on such a successful season.

Tim

o

Thank you, Tim, I appreciate it!
One day I'll work on the production level, and try to get it up closer to yours ;-) I liked your latest video. If you need some Red Bhut seeds, let me know.

Josh

o

Josh, inspecting my plants yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find a lone ripe Peach Bhut.

Your description hits the nail on the head, a great fruity flavour. When I cut it open I was struck how much you can smell the fruit tones. I think this one's going to become a recurring must grow.

Bill

ps. I'm going to steal your description (with credit) in my upcoming post on a few more peppers. I couldn't describe it better ;-)

o

I may have to take you up on that offer. If I remember correctly, you have some very nice bhuts.

Tim

o

Bill, I'm stoked that you liked the description! And even happier that you liked the pepper! I think I'll grow the Red and Peach Bhut next year.

Tim, just let me know when you're ready. I'll start the seed harvesting next month.

Josh

o

Very impressive pods josh! That douglah special looks crazy. I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised you didn't like the reapers . The main reason I like them is because they are not bitter at all to me . My pods look a little different from yours so maybe the shape isn't all that's not stable or my taste buds are just screwed up. Oh and I'm not crazy enough to bite into one yet :)

This post was edited by scott123456 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 12:36

o

Thanks, Scott!
Bite into a Reaper, and then let me know if you detect any bitterness.....

Josh

o

Haha no thanks I'll take your word for it

o

99F here on this Saturday in the golden West.

Had a good pull this morning.....all the phenotypes are spot on and looking very clean. I put together a mixed box for a buddy of mine to take to the Clamper (ECV) "Doin's" as part of their puke hazing ritual. These'll be killer.

First up, some nice Yellow Brain Strain:

Next up, some large and wonderful Douglah:

Carolina Reaper, just a few ripe, with many green on the plant:

The classic Red Bhut Jolokia - pods are slightly smaller this year, due mostly to the small container, I believe. The larger of the two plants has longer pods, from which I'll harvest seed:

Now the glorious newcomers, the Peach Bhut Jolokia. Very hard to photograph their true color, a true peach. Oh yes, they will be grown again. I hope the seeds aren't crossed....

And a plate of the peppers all together....

Josh

o

Wow! Beautiful "pull". You gotta be happy Josh.

I'll admit, the Douglahs made me recoil from the screen. Man, I'm still not over the pain they inflicted.

Both of my Reaper plants, seed from different source, didn't grow out like yours. Really high heat but lacking in the flavor department.

Your Peaches look great.

Thanks for the update.

Bill

ps. I'm working on a new blend. I don't have what I need this season for Grim Reaper so I thought I'd try to put together a "really stupid hot" successor... Assassin's Choice.

If I live through the testing I'll send some your way ;-)

o

AMAZING! Those pods all look immaculate. I'll be asking for seeds.....go ahead and anticipate some seed begging. :)

Tim

o

Agree. Great looking pods, Josh!

Kevin

o

Thanks, Bill, Tim, and Kevin!

Bill, the Douglahs were the first to pod and the first to ripen, and the plant is loaded up again. I think I'm done eating these ones raw....I've had slices of four of these on different occasions, all with the same result...pain. Time for powder, methinks :-) And, speaking of powder, you know I'm game for whatever you mix up. Your powders are the best I've ever come across - smokiness, balance, and heat, along with the occasional garlic, onion, and salt.

Tim, full disclosure, these plants are touching each other and many pods are likely cross-pollinated, so the next generation probably won't look as immaculate. I did semi-isolate the Red Bhut Jolokia, though, since they're my favorite and I want to keep the strain as Ghostly and pure as I can. Those seeds should be kosher. I sure wish I'd separated the Peach Ghost, now that I see what an awesome pod they produce.

Kevin, this has been my best year. Luck of the weather, heavier fertilization, and frequent waterings.

Josh

o

Beautiful pods!

I think I'm down for the YBS already, but now that I see them, those Douglahs are not like the ones that I grew. Looks like they have thicker flesh and the shape is different. And the Peach Bhut is amazing!

So I hereby beg for seeds. Or at least the next place in line for seeds.

Dennis

o

Howdy, folks!
I picked 50 more Ghost peppers....28 Red and 22 Peach.
I'll go through and select the largest, longest, gnarliest pods from which to harvest seed. Really, really wish I'd isolated the Peach Bhut....so I'll have to roll the dice and hope the seeds grow true.

Josh

o

A top view....

o

From the Red side....

o

From the Peach side....

o

Beautiful Josh, just beautiful.

You're the Ghost man!

Bill.

o

Thanks, Bill!
By the way, my clamper buddy took an assortment of pods to the Doin's. Gave a slice of Douglah to a woman who handled the Ghost fine last year.....the Douglah sliver tore her up! Found her limit!

Josh

o

Josh

Your buddy sounds like a great caring person. You know, helping people find their limits and all ;-))

o

Ha! Oh, he's not a caring fellow at all! ;-)
He loves seeing folks squirm.....and I'm more than happy to contribute to the hazing rituals! A very good use of fresh peppers!

Josh

o

Nice photos Josh.
Pam

o

Thank you, Pam.
More to come....Douglahs and Reapers are ripening, along with another wave of Red Ghosts!

Josh

o

Josh -

Your peppers look wonderful !!

Sandy

o

I'm amazed at the size of your peppers. It seems they are all A+ grade pods. How in the world do you manage to do that?!

Tim

o

Nice photos, Josh. Some really nice looking peppers.

I like the overhead view of the bhut combo. Looks like the yin and yang of jolokia :0).

-Alex

o

Sandy, Tim, Alex, thanks for the great comments!

Tim, they're not all large, I assure you. On the experimental Red Bhut, the one grown in a 1-gallon container, I've found the majority of the pods to be smaller on average, which I directly correlate with the size of the container. That said, I've had a good season and have gotten quite a few "keepers," if you will.

Alex, I should have arranged the pods better! Could totally do a yin and yang!

Josh

o

Well, this will probably be the last harvest of any significance.....I have a few pods left on the Peach Ghost, Douglah, Carolina Reaper, and Yellow Brain Strain....and quite a few on my second Red Bhut Jolokia plant. Not sure if the green pods will have time to ripen, but I think I have enough pods as it is. I'm currently dehydrating a large batch of pods.

Anyhow, pulled a nice amount of Reapers, Douglah, and Bhut Jolokia. The Douglah has been an incredible performer this whole season, throwing out brutally hot, tasty, and large well-shaped pods.

Josh

Douglah

More Douglah....

Bhut Jolokia....

Carolina Reapers....

More Carolina Reapers....

And all together....

o

Very nice, Josh! I just did a harvest also... will post pics soon.

Any rain up there yet?

Kevin

o

Hey, thanks, Kevin!
Yeah, we've had rain....three decent rains, although the last only dropped 1/4 of an inch of water. Still, it's a relief. I've hardly had to water for a week.

Josh

o

Great looking late season pods. I'm convinced that you either have the largest pods ever, or the smallest hands in the world. Those pods make mine look like tic tacs.

Tim

o

Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 11:41

Josh, wayyy too much heat there. Those pods look awesome. The Reapers look great. I have tried them for two years now and keep getting a cross/mis-labeled seed. I cannot imagine what you are going to do with all those super hots.
Bruce

o

Hey, Bruce, I'm going to dry most of them.
I'm also giving out sample bags of peppers to my friends. I didn't isolate the Carolina Reaper, but if you want to roll the dice again and try some of these seeds, I'm down. I probably won't grow the Reaper next season....didn't like the taste and too hot to be fun :-)

Tim, I guess I have medium hands.....but this particular pick of peppers happened to be very good sized, especially those Douglahs.....big, weighty bastards.

My final haul of Bhuts should be fairly large, too.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here