Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
power bill, estimting my monthly cost with lights indoors

Posted by thismembername none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 23:10

never seen much talk about indoor lights and power bills. I'm trying to make sure i've got this figured up right. I am running a 4 bulb t5 HO, rated at 216 watts, and another small 2 bulb setup at 48 watts

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=10655#tabs-2
http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=10704

264 watts, i'm being billed at around 0.11 Cents per KWH.

720 hours in a 30 day period. (30*24)

264 watts * 720 hours = 190080 total watts

190080 / 1000 (KWH) = 190.08 KWH * 0.11 = 20.9088 USD per month

Does this look right? around 20 USD per month sound about right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: power bill, estimting my monthly cost with lights indoors

this is assuming the lights are running 24 hours a day (which they practically are).

also, im not sure if the rated wattage is the highest or expected. Maybe the actual wattage usage is lower or higher.

o

Going by the stated wattage, you would be billed about $.66 per day. This does not necessarily include loss in a ballast or other sources of waste. I would estimate at $1.00 per day just to be on the safe side. Over a month, $30 and for a year $360.00.

DarJones

o

Maybe I should move all my seedlings into the house and use lights. :-( I've got 3 heaters running at least 12 hrs a day to keep my greenhouse heated (last year there were a few times I actually had 5 heaters going). Husband is starting to complain about the electric bill. haha, ain't no way I'm going to take the time to figure out how much we are spending on those heaters, I'd probably tear down the greenhouse if I actually knew what we were spending. Next year I'm putting up bubble wrap.
Pam

o

I'm growing for the first time this year. I started out thinking how wonderful it would be to have close to a year's supply of chili "free of charge" :) I have shifted my thinking to "these CFLs have an expected life of 10 years, and with 16 hours parts of the year, that might mean 20 years, and IF SO, ..." :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here