Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillseeker

Seed Exchange Etiquette

hillseeker
11 years ago

I'm brand new to seed saving and exchanging but thought it worked on the honor system. I sent someone several seeds and haven't heard from him/her since, despite trying to contact. I understand packages are lost in transit, however a reply would have been appreciated. Truthfully do most people work on the honor system and send you what you agree to exchange? It's unfortunate as now I have few seeds to share to open up my collection. Unsure if I should continue swapping and how not to get scammed again.
Thanks to the few of you that trusted me and traded back. I appreciated it!

Comments (11)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

HillSeeker: I suppose there are some bad apples anywhere but I have found great people on the Hot Pepper list here at Garden Web. I am sending you an email to your registered email on garden web. Please respond back to me at the email address provided in that email along with your mailing address and I will send you a pack each of: Numex Twilight, Black Cuban, Sweet Banana, Orange Tree Habanero, Hot Hungarian Wax, Naga and Pepperoncini. That should get you started.
    Bruce

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you that is extremely generous Bruce! I can't wait to try!

• cheeze2002
    11 years ago

I have traded a ton on here , I have a box bigger than a shoebox that is stuffed full of envelopes from all the trades off this forum. Out of all of those I noticed about 3 that didn't send me anything back, there may have been a few more I didn't even notice truth be told but overall I have had nothing but good luck and good trades from this forum.

I also had one guy write me back months later after I sent him seeds and tell me his seed collection got wet and ruined then he had to move right after that. So if thats true or not isnt important but my point is stuff does come up in peoples life that cant be helped.

Send small amounts when you trade if your supply is low , I feel sure you can get the seeds you want from this forum. I have aquired lots of peppers you could never find in my part of the country and they all came from people here.

Good luck.

• cheeze2002
    11 years ago

I have traded a ton on here , I have a box bigger than a shoebox that is stuffed full of envelopes from all the trades off this forum. Out of all of those I noticed about 3 that didn't send me anything back, there may have been a few more I didn't even notice truth be told but overall I have had nothing but good luck and good trades from this forum.

I also had one guy write me back months later after I sent him seeds and tell me his seed collection got wet and ruined then he had to move right after that. So if thats true or not isnt important but my point is stuff does come up in peoples life that cant be helped.

Send small amounts when you trade if your supply is low , I feel sure you can get the seeds you want from this forum. I have aquired lots of peppers you could never find in my part of the country and they all came from people here.

Good luck.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Hillseeker,

Yeah that's happened to me before, even though I would get responses still the seeds never came so I called it a loss and moved on. But I have received so many seeds in trade/SASBE/free offers that it balances out. There are great people here even with a few bad apples every now and then.

If you are interested in hot/super hot Bhut, Trinidad Scorpion, Fatalii, Chocolate Habanero respond to my email with your address.

We will get you back on track

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 7:31

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Hillseeker,

I don't know how many trades you have arranged but I do know of at least one that worked out very well in your favor.

It's your choice whether to continue trading seeds with members here. Personally, I wouldn't let one bad experience (whatever the cause) keep me from participating and sharing.

Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Hillseeker, I still have not received an email from you. Email me at this address with your mailing address and I will get the seeds out asap.
    Email me at:

Bruce

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bruce, I tried again. Thank you for your generous offer.

Bill, Thank you every so much for your generosity as well. I have 25 nice healthy little seedlings growing and I'm very excited to see how things turn out.

Overall I was just wondering what people's experience was on the website. I won't let a few bad apples ruin it and it's no biggy. I know things come up as well. I didn't think it was a reoccurring problem but wanted to ask. I have been taught so much from this forum and it opened me up to a whole new hobby. I hope I didn't offend anyone by this post.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Nope, no offense taken. All is good and you have a reply email from me as I just got your resend. Take care and good luck growing way up north.
    Bruce

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Ditto Bruce, no offense taken.

"I have 25 nice healthy little seedlings growing"

Are you growing one of each? If so, impressive for a new grower!

Bill

• hillseeker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill, I researched the varieties I didn't know and I started with 5 seeds each of the superhots. Previously I did not have successful germination with purchased superhot seeds. To my surprise, I only had a few that didn't germinate. I've just planted another 6 or 7 varieties last week, this time only two seeds each. In a few weeks I'll start a few other varieties. I have a few habs & bhuts growing from my germination tests a few months ago and I am overwintering 4 plants. I already have too many seedlings growing for my greenhouse but any extras will be shared to other friends and family. Lesson learned :)

Thanks again. The pepper community has been very welcoming!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz