Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growth on Underside of Leaves

Posted by TechnoChimp none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 0:00

I've noticed this strange growth on the bottom of the leaves on my ghost chili plant. At first I was wondering if it was some sort of salt buildup from the fertilizer, but I'm not seeing any burning on the ends of the leaves. The tips of the leaves are actually much shinier on the top side directly above the growth. When I pick at it, it crushes and liquid comes out. I was reading about edema, but all the pictures I found show it spread out across the leaf rather than all bunched together. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growth on Underside of Leaves

Definitely leaf oedema as you thought. Have the same thing happening to a few of mine right now as well. Just leave it be and it'll be fine. I wouldn't crush anymore of the pockets though, as that's destroying the plant cells.

Jay

o

Alright, I'll leave it be. I've opened the door of my greenhouse to let the humidity down in case the excess humidity is contributing. I've noticed that in stone spots the oedema has Eben broke holes through the leaves. Hopefully this won't harm the plant to much. Either way, baking off the watering for a while and sitting by.

o

That's unlike any edema pic I've seen. I'd post the pic in the Garden Clinic forum.

Kevin

o

Agreed with woohooman, I have had this issue but that looks intense. Do all of your leafs have that.

o

Agreed with woohooman, I have had this issue but that looks intense. Do all of your leafs have that.

o

Moruga,

Most of the leaves on this plant have this going on. Some of the leaves on other plants have a very minor version of this which looks more like the typical pictures of leaf edema. Most of the other plants look fine. I've been trying to follow recommendations to water the plants heavily until water drains from the drain holes, but I think I'm going to start doing light watering after this one has dried back out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here