Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goofy_507

Greenhouse vs. garden

goofy_507
10 years ago

I was looking for some insight on pepper cultivation. Has anybody noticed a great difference in growth/yield with their peppers growing in a greenhouse opposed to the garden? Basically, my question is: Is one of these methods been continuously proven to be more affective than the other? Somebody I know claimed that peppers don't do as well in the greenhouse as say cucumbers and tomatoes. I was wondering if these results were adequate, or if these were present among other growers. Thanks for the help, and I wish you all great growing!

Comments (12)

• tomt226
    10 years ago

IMHO, it'd depend on your climate. I know people in Montana that grow many pepper varieties successfully using "hoop houses" year round. The covering material is rolled up during the day for ventilation and more UV, then rolled down during cold nights at their altitude. You'd really have to have a good cooling system here in Texas coupled with a very high structure. As I understand it, in Mexico, many habanero growers use greenhouses to keep temps high for extremely quick ripening that ups production. GH humidity is easier to control too. Go to Greenhouse Megastore or Growers Supply and look at all the temperature and humidity regulation devices available for more insight. Very good question and food for thought...

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

A question to add to that, would someone in Minnesota need any devices for a greenhouse 15'x 7'x 7' besides a few fans for cooling and air circulation?

• TFortune
    10 years ago

Probably depends on what you're planning to do with it, but I'd guess you'd need a heater to go along with the fans, and maybe some sort of regulator/thermostat...

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Well I plan to grow as many peppers as I can fit inside it.

• goofy_507
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you tom and tfortune! Morugaman and I will definitely take your info into consideration. We have soo many peppers right now it's hard to keep track. We will be busy, and shall post some pics this summer of the project and the progress.
    --goofy

• goofy_507
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you tom and tfortune! Morugaman and I will definitely take your info into consideration. We have soo many peppers right now it's hard to keep track. We will be busy, and shall post some pics this summer of the project and the progress.
    --goofy

• goofy_507
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darnit. Second time I've double posted!! Oh well

• tomt226
    10 years ago

goofy507,
    I forgot to mention that a hoop house can be placed directly over a planting bed, then removed when the weather is better. Helps to get the soil warm and will extend your growing season. A raised bed inside of a hoop house would be the perfect solution to a short growing season, IMHO. Just open the ends for ventilation.

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

I have around 60 seedlings right now. I'm just trying to figure out what would work best without spending a lot of money. Would you say a hoop or a greenhouse would work best in Minnesota and would I need a heater?

• tomt226
    10 years ago

OK, a GH and a hoop house are basically the same, but sometimes the GH has a floor that isn't the ground, like mine. The natural ground absorbs and stores heat to radiate at night, plus maintaining a higher humidity than the outside. A recording thermometer, available at Home Depot for about $10 should give you an idea of what temps are like in a 24 hour period, plus the humidity. A hoop house can be a low tunnel, or a little higher, up to 6 or 7 feet, but remember, the more room, the more air you have to heat.
    I'm not familiar with Minnesota, but I would think a simple hoop house with a tilled soil floor covered with a dark material and a bunch of pallets or a structure to elevate the seedlings above ground would work well. 6' high, and 6' wide should do it. Maybe 20' long if you have the room. You can buy 5 mil plastic at Home Depot for $100 for a 100' roll and it lasts a whole season down here.
    Remember, if your soil is acceptable you can plant directly into the ground in the house. Check www.growerssupply.com for HH frames and clips for the plastic. They're up in your neck of the woods and I've had good luck with'em. Check at HD too for a "milk barn" heater. About $25 and lasts forever.

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Thank you so much tom that helped a lot. I'll do some more searching

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Home made hoop house. 10' EMT bent into 4' hoops. 10' long. Cheap too. Bag'o'clamps from HD too. Stapled sides.

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz