Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackheads under pepper skin layer?

Posted by 0x0is0 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 0:08

Hi there,

I over-wintered this Thai pepper by putting it at a corner section of the yard where the side of the the house was shielding it.

Today I noticed that there are some sort of "blackheads" barely underneath the pepper skin layer. I am guessing that some insects might have deposited their eggs(?) under the skin.

Anyone know what these black bumps are? There are a lot all over the branches of this plant. What should I do? Chuck it? What would you do? Luckily, this is the only plant that was affected as others next to it are fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackheads under pepper skin layer?

I have that on my overwintered thai too, also on my orange hab. I'm giving the plants away so I wasn't too worried about it but I'd like to know what it is.

o

Please to give any infected plants away. It can spread other plants and eventually infect there whole garden there neighbors garden etc.etc.

o

Looks like some sort o scale. Bad stuff they use dormant oil to control it on shrubs it seems to always come back. Scale can effect a lot of woody shrubs also so I would also check any shrubs around your house for the same, Its very hard to control. I would also ether burn your pepper plants and start over,or at least put them in trash bags and depose of them. Scale is not good and if you bring a sample to your local nursery they will not be happy with you.

o

Well, I sprayed the branches with PAM cooking oil, put it in a trash bag (soil too), tied it up, and threw it in the garbage.

Scales or dormant eggs, they were all over just that one plant.

No pepper-loving, juice-sucking insect is going to get the best of me! lol.

Hopefully I wiped out a family or generation or two.

This post was edited by 0x0is0 on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 6:39

o

in that case I won't be giving them away. into the trash they go. what a shame.

o

Dont feel bad. You did the right thing . It is greatly appreciated by every shrub in the neighborhood. Will bring good karma to your garden this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here