Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bhut Jolokia soil and care?

Posted by xebby 6NM (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 0:54

Ok, so I am not new to growing chili. In fact I come from a strong bloodline of farmers who have made a lifestyle out of growing and cultivating New Mexico Green and Red Chili on the floodplain of the Rio Grande for generations. However, nothing could prepare me for this crazy plant that has just entered my home.

I bought a Bhut Jolokia plant from the Chili Pepper Institute, the same people who declared it the hottest pepper in the world. It's a rather large plant in a 10-gal container and already has some young flowers.

Now, for a few of my concerns.
1) I have never grown a potted pepper plant indoors. My experience is with the traditional acres of rows of plants and traditional irrigation methods. I want to transplant this plant to a larger pot and I want to do it safely. Any advice on growing a potted pepper?
2) I like to mix my own soil so I need to know what type of mixture this plant would do well in and how I should properly fertilize it?
3) I live in Santa Fe, NM, what climate conditions and such should I be aware of?
4) I want to keep this plant living for as many years as possible, so, any other info I could get would be very helpful.

If you could give me any advice on growing Jolokia based on the info I provided then I would be so delighted.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bhut Jolokia soil and care?

Here are a couple pictures of the jolokia plant I have:

(Sorry, camera phone pics but best I could get)

o

are you sure that is a 10 gallon container?
it is small enough to sit on a plate so im guessing it is a 1 gallon container.

o

oh, yes it's a 1-gal. Sorry, don't know why I added that zero in my original post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here