Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Ghost Pepper

Posted by esox07 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 1:15

I have a ghost pepper right now in a 2.5 to 3" round container (12 ounce). It is getting pretty nice sized. The leaves are extending well beyond the edges of the container. I dont think it will work to keep it in that pot until I can get it outside in it's permanent spot but I am wondering how long I can let it go before I will have to transplant it so that I don't harm it by stunting it or anything else. How much longer can I let this guy go in the pot it is currently in?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Ghost Pepper

It's definitely getting close...
I'd repot when roots start appearing at the bottom drainage holes.
For the least trauma, slip the entire root-ball out, set it in the new pot,
and gently fill around the sides of the root-ball with fresh medium.

Nice seedling!

Josh

o

Thanks, Greenman.
Hmmmm, I was hoping I could go a couple more weeks. I will check for roots at the drain holes on the bottom however. I guess it doesn't matter since I will have to repot this one and all the rest prior to getting them outside for good. We dont start our growing season until mid May up here in Wisconsin.

o

You can probably squeeze a couple more weeks out of it.

I don't plant in-ground until May...and I'm actually considering planting closer to June,
due to the rains and the cool Spring weather.

Josh

o

Wow this looks great! We started our plants around the same time but yours appear to have taken off quite well. My largest plant has 4 sets of true leaves and they aren't a rich green like yours. Whats your secret? I keep them in the sunlight as long as possible and light them closely with a standard cool white bulb (Not as effective as grow lights but way cheaper). Also, have you used any seedling fertilizer? Keep up the great work, hopefully your plants continue to thrive!

o

Wow this looks great! We started our plants around the same time but yours appear to have taken off quite well. My largest plant has 4 sets of true leaves and they aren't a rich green like yours. Whats your secret? I keep them in the sunlight as long as possible and light them closely with a standard cool white bulb (Not as effective as grow lights but way cheaper). Also, have you used any seedling fertilizer? Keep up the great work, hopefully your plants continue to thrive!

o

JamesonF:
Check my blog. It chronicles my pepper growing efforts pretty well. I will be updating it tonight or tomorrow.
I used a guide I found on the internet for growing my peppers. I am new to growing them from seed so I figured I could use the help. The web address of the guide is: http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html

My blog web address is: http://pepperpikker.tumblr.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Hot Peppers in Wisconsin Zone 4

o

Nice stuff, Esox (or should I call you pike man?)
I'm in zone 5 (central CT) and we don't get soil and air temps warm enough to set out peppers until about Memorial day. Some folks set them out "after danger of frost", but I can tell you that peppers and tomatoes do not like cold (or wet) feet, and will have problems if nighttime temps drop below 50 for more than 1-2 nights in a row. My point is that you've got at least 8 weeks before you should set them out, so you'd better pot them up. I start my seeds on April 1 (March 15 for the slow germinating varieties like Bhut Jolokia), and pot them up into 4 inch rounds. By Memorial Day, they are just beginning to show roots at the bottom of the pot. Your plants look like mine do about 2-3 weeks before planting in the ground. You might end up needing a 5 or 6 inch pot by the time you're ready to set out IMO.

o

Preston. Nice to see an east coast guy know what "Esox" is. ha.
Yah, I probably wont get them out permanently until later may. I had a Habenaro starter and some Cayenne seedlings in on May 18 last year and they went on to produce nicely. I think I remember having to cover them a couple nights though. Also, I am planning on growing most of my Peppers in Containers this year so that I would be able to move them in at night if necessary.

o

Sounds good, Esox. One thing that helps a lot with the early end of the season is to warm the soil with plastic mulch. The stuff called solar mulch film works real well for that purpose.

o

Preston:
I think I have heard of that stuff. So, are you advising to put that stuff on in the spring or fall? Do you just layer it on top of the soil around the plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here