Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fastcityrocket77

Ghost Pepper/ Scorpion Moruga growing

fastcityrocket77
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to planting anything, I am currently growing Ghost Pepper and Scorpion Moruga, the plants seem to be growing but one of them has died and a 2nd has just fallen, please share any advice. I currently have these growing indoor with a heating mat. I usually water them when the dirt turns light brown. Should I already remove the small net and transfer them into a bigger pot or is it still too early ? Should I still keep them under a heat mat ? I am currently living in Southern California which the weather is not too cold and not too hot. Here are some pics, as you can see the ones circled red is one dead and the other just fell

Comments (38)

• fastcityrocket77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more pictures

• fastcityrocket77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

all the plants are green the yellow is caused by the flash on my phone

This post was edited by fastcityrocket77 on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 1:46

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I would get them quickly repotted into another growing medium, peat pellets are not forgiving either they stay too wet or they dry too fast and cause more problems than they are worth. Looks like damping off fungus, overwatering causes this. Also what type of light source are you using?

Mark

• fastcityrocket77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I leave the plants by the window direct light from the sun sometimes the leaves shake a little sometimes, I will transfer them to a medium pot, do you recommend any specific soil ?

• fastcityrocket77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the help, do you leave the lights running all the time or some hours ? how often do you water your plants and how much water do you use ?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I leave the lights on between 12 - 14 hours. I don't water on a set schedule, I water when the leaves start to droop a little. At the stage your seedlings are at they don't have any true leaves so maybe every 3-4 days give some water but make sure the soil is not still wet you can poke a toothpick or wooden skewer into the soil and let it sit for a few minutes and pull it up, if its dry water if its has moisture then check in a day or two.

Mark

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

Mark, just because I can not resist.

Do the stoplights make them grow faster when it turns green, yellow or red:?
    Sorry, just had to.... :)

• fastcityrocket77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey mark when transferring the plants to a cup should I fill the whole cup with the mix or 1/4 ? since they are small

This post was edited by fastcityrocket77 on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 19:48

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Bill red and in some states they have blue lights as well so get the two together and that speeds up growth. :)

Fastcityrocket77, fill it up the roots shoot through it and are happy with more room. I planted in a clear cup once to see root growth and was amazed in a few days roots made it to the bottom of the cup. You will see how fast growth takes place once you repot.

This post was edited by habjolokia on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 23:27

• clee22
    11 years ago

does anyone here have spare seeds?

• ab2008
    11 years ago

clee22,

shoot me an email @ abeasley2008@yahoo.com and lemme know what you're looking for. I have some extra seeds left over.

• fastcityrocket77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

some of my plants have died and some are turning a bit yellow, does yellow usually mean lack of water ?

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Could be too much water perhaps?

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Yellow means incipient death. The ones in the top picture are yellow. Are you asking about those, or have transplanted ones turned yellow?

I can't tell you the cause. Have you done any fertilizing at all?

• fastcityrocket77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have transplanted them into a cup with potting soil I have never fertilized, these are my first plants

This post was edited by fastcityrocket77 on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 0:59

• sierrahiker
    11 years ago

in southern ca ! put in ground or pot now in the sun !

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

sierrahiker: it's still a bit too cool at night in SoCal for freshly germinated plants to get much growth outside, imho. I'm going to plant some myself in the garden tomorrow but mine are 10 weeks old. When the plants are as young as fastcity's, I'd let them enjoy 18 hours of light inside with constant 70-80 F temps....JMO.

Kevin

• fastcityrocket77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes it is a bit too cold still , woohooman are you only using potting soil ?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

For my seedlings, I 'm using 2 parts MG orchid mix, 2 parts MG organic choice potting soil, 1 part coarse perlite and 1 part vermiculite. After my original dumba** move this year ( 26 degrees off with my germination temps), my youngins are looking pretty good -- though I wish my superhots would get a move-on a tad more.

IMO, (which isn't professional by any means), for you, at this point--- well draining soil, shopligthts to within an inch above top leaves for 16 hours a day, and use the good peoples' advice here regarding watering. From what I've found out, underwatering is actually better than overwatering.

Regarding what I planted today, those don't count regarding YOUR situation. Those have been hardened off for t-3 weeks, were potted up to a more coarse medium, and are 10 weeks old. They'll probably sit there for the next month and not do too much until it warms up more, but they're ready.

Just keep coming back here for more advice -- the good folks here at GW will probably get and keep you going.

Good luck

Kevin

• fastcityrocket77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the advice, a couple of the scorpion have died :( , ghost peppers still looking good. Anyone recommend watering from bottom to top better than top to bottom ?

This post was edited by fastcityrocket77 on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 11:32

• ab2008
    11 years ago

I almost want to say it depends on your soil for how you water, but I'm not sure.

With mine, I water from the bottom. I just use standard miracle gro potting mix, and sometimes mix in a little compost cow manure. I'm not sure if there are any benefits however.. but the plants seem to like what I'm doing at the moment, so no reason to change it hah.

• pepper_rancher
    11 years ago

Good looking plants habjolokia! Nice and dark green leaves...
    How long can the plants do well under that type of light before they need direct sunlight?
    I planned starting some pepper clones at the end of this season and growing them until spring under shoplights... but im not sure if they can last that long with that type of light...

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Thanks pepper rancher. They can last quite awhile, I would not use it to produce fruit as that more than likely wont happen. I should really have 4 tubes instead of just the two. But it works even my Habanero is starting to bud. They been under the lights since Jan and as the weather is in MD does not seem to be anywhere near going outside its been below 50 every night and we may hit 60 during the day this weekend.

Mark

• ghostboy808
    10 years ago

I am a new grower as well and I am in love with ghost...I have a ghost planted in the ground with some dirt chicken manure compost and black cinder...it seems to be doing well...my fisrt set of pepper were small but this second set looks so much better...I have pics if any one can give me some tips and feedback

• ghostboy808
    10 years ago

I am a new grower as well and I am in love with ghost...I have a ghost planted in the ground with some dirt chicken manure compost and black cinder...it seems to be doing well...my fisrt set of pepper were small but this second set looks so much better...I have pics if any one can give me some tips and feedback

• farzad1979
    10 years ago

Hi,

I am growing scorpion pepper, but it leaves becomes yellow and flowers start to fall, what should I do? I am beginner and it is my first time. Please help

This post was edited by farzad1979 on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 12:19

• farzad1979
    10 years ago

Hi,

I am growing scorpion pepper, but it leaves becomes yellow and flowers start to fall, what should I do? I am beginner and it is my first time. Please help

This post was edited by farzad1979 on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 12:17

• Dragon66
    10 years ago

Hey everyone it's been awhile. I've been trying to grow the Scorpion Moruga peppers and i've had no luck, i get roots and some tiny leaves but then they die off and i'm starting to run low on seeds...so i'm pass some seeds off to someone who is better at this. All i will want is one plant. I don't have a heating mat so i put in a damp napkin and in a ziplock bag and place it on top of the refrigerator. So i have 12 seeds left for the taking.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

farzad, those look like older plants. Many do this in the winter - apparently the leaves just get old and will eventually drop off. You will get a flush of new leaves in the spring.

Do you fertilize?

• farzad1979
    10 years ago

Which fertilizer should I use?
    By the way thanks for your attention

• McHaleBrent
    10 years ago

Dragon66,

I saw that you wanted to get rid of some Scorpio moruga pepper seeds, btw sorry about the circumstances. We'll I would be willing to take them, but I it might be a little bit before I can. If you could please email me at bmchale@roadrunner.com,and we can talk. Thank you.

McHaleBrent

This post was edited by McHaleBrent on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 18:33

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I use a window and 16 hrs. of supplemental light . These plants are 6 weeks from planting the seed. Ive used a greenhouse in lots of past years but this works better. Temp. between 75 and 80 and no aphids . Sun through a window on its own is not enough bot with supplemental light it works like a charm. Heating a greenhouse can be your biggest expense. Had one 36 by 96 and it cost $130 a week and the aphids were a constant battle.
    I have more seed then I know what to do with check my list and send me an email. A window sill with supplemental light is the way to go unless your doing hundreds of plants. I also use a Bloom fertilizer half strength once a week to promote roots opposed to leaves. I think it makes for a stronger plant

• Dragon66
    10 years ago

Wow those look really good. Started some seeds again hopefully better luck this time. McHaleBrent email me when you'er ready to see if I still have available.

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I use ProMix for all my seed starting if you mix in 1/3 perlite its the perfect medium to grow on outdoors. At this stage I fertilize every 10 days with grow fertilizer full strength.Might want to switch back to Bloom but did not do this last year. 95% of my plants went into the ground using all organic fertilizer and lime .Lime is very important and should not by underrated even when growing in pots 1cup/cubic ft. it might seem like a lot but believe me its not.In soil I use 1 coffee can / 16 sq. ft. as Recommended by Mel in his book Square Foot Gardening A must read book for any gardener

• Dragon66
    10 years ago

Thanks pepperdave, I used some organic choice mix the last time I tired.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I just use plain old Miracle Grow All-Purpose, and sometimes epsom salts. I have no idea what is available in Iran. Common wisdom is that you want a NPK ratio of 3:1:2 or some multiple. Yellowing leaves may indicate a need for Nitrogen, but there are other conditions that can cause similar symptoms. I am no expert in fertilizer or soil chemistry.

Dennis

• gailsgarden1
    9 years ago

Is it normal for my ghost pepper seedling to have a browns tint to them, although they appear to be health.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living