Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ghost peppers have no pollen

Posted by gkyle840 ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 1:43

have a question about my Bhut Jolokia peppers. I have acquired 2 mature plants about 2 months ago. one of them was flowering when i got it and the 2nd was flowering as well as had a couple peppers starting to form. in the two months that i have had them, they have both been flowering nonstop and the flowers just drop after they are open for a few days to a week. i have tried pollinating them numerous times and what i have noticed is there is no pollen in the flowers. i have tried rubbing them on black paper at different times of day and get absolutely no pollen the only factor that has been different from the greenhouse I got them from is the humidity level. they were in about 60% humidity and now they are in about 30%. here are my conditions... they are under a 600 watt hps light. the temp is right at 83 degrees. i fertilize them with Pure Blend Pro Bloom and occasionally use a little epsom salts. i also have started using superthrive in the water. i usually let the soil dry out pretty good before i water. let me know if any other info is needed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ghost peppers have no pollen

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention.

o

what he said

o

What romy6 said willard said.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here