Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evowrex

how to grow reapers in a can? help please!

Evowrex
10 years ago

I saw an ad on Amazon (pictured), how would I grow a reaper in the same way from seeds?
Would I just cut the top off a soda can and fill it with soil?
Thanks guys, you're always a big help.

Comments (23)

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I really think that picture is photo shopped. I would just get some seed and start that way. Something fishy about the can. Hippy seed does not have them yet but will in the near future if you can wait being winter there. I think only a few US companys sell the seed so I would see I they ship over seas and buy from them.Im sure people in this forum would share some , but Im not sure about sending them there without some kind of inspection. [could be wrong] . Personally I would avoid the can thing. If you are not in a big hurry though contact Hippy Seed and find out when there getting some, They say they are

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi pepperdave,
    I don't want to actually buy this product, I just want to know from you experienced hot pepper growers. Is it possible to grow a reaper in a can? I'm doing a couple tests at the moment but I will see the results soon hopefully!
    Also, I am now a proud owner of some reaper seeds, they're pretty expensive over here in AUS, $15 for 20 seeds. I maybe would have asked some cool members if they had any spare seeds but I didn't want to be rude. Also, because most of the members on this forum at American i m not sure about the shipping and how much it would be, and if its even legal to ship seeds in.

I am now starting my collection of peppers but have run out of seeds. (And money, hahaha)

thanks guys! ðÂÂÂðÂÂÂ

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Very difficult to grow a productive plant in such a small space....but it *can* be done (get it? ha). You would need drainage holes in the bottom, and you'd probably have to water and fertilize every day in light amounts. Keeping the plant well-lit without overheating the roots in the can would be another challenge, as well.

Josh

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Actually $15 for 20 seeds is cheaper then here

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, it is going to be tough to get a pepper plant to survive and thrive long enough in a can to actually produce ripe fruit. But I suppose it can be done. I have seen stranger things. If you just want to do it for the novelty of doing it, then give it a shot, but if you are truly looking to grow a plant and get some fruit off of it, I suggest a more typical approach.

And it doesn't hurt to ask on the list. Most of the time, people will respond as long as they don't feel like you are just coming in to troll for seeds.
    Good luck,
    Bruce

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

As Bruce stated,
    It will be tough. But, if you want the novelty of a can - I suggest a coffee tin. Poke a few holes in the bottom and make sure it gets plenty of light. You're surely not gonna get a bumper crop out of such a set up, but you should be able to bag at least a couple peppers off of it. Just be sure that you have a good light source.

Jay

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the replys.
    I want to grow it In the can until it is big enough for me to transplant into my garden.
    also would right now be an ok time to plant the reapers? You can check some info, I'm from Melbourne, Australia.
    Thanks for the help!

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

Not a can but it's still 12oz.....;-)

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woah, that's cool as dude. (Scgreenthumb)
    Are you going to transplant it?
    I have been looking for fertaliser for my ghost chilli and nice member suggested a 24:8:16 blend, its so hard to find it over here and so far i have been unsuccessful in finding it. Does anyone know where to buy specific NPK fertiliser here in aus?
    Thanks

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

Nope. Just gonna see what I can accomplish in a beer bottle lol.

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome dude. Keep us updated!

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> "I have been looking for fertaliser for my ghost chilli and nice member suggested a 24:8:16 blend, its so hard to find it over here and so far i have been unsuccessful in finding it."

Doesn't have to be that ratio. Any multiple of 3:1:2 will do as well. And if you can't find that (I'd be surprised) then anything close.

> "Does anyone know where to buy specific NPK fertiliser here in aus?"

www.google.au?

Dennis

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

there's no miracle gro in AUS? if you guys do have it available, MG all purpose is the correct ratio, and fairly cheap. that's what I'm using now.

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would a 4:1:2 ratio be any good?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, that would be fine.

Josh

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK sounds good, I will purchase some tomorrow and update when possible!

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bought some of this yesterday and applyed it to my peppers

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

What is the NPK number?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

NPK rating (or N-P-K) is used to label fertilizer based on the relative content of the chemical elements nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K) that are commonly used in fertilizers. The N value is the percentage of elemental nitrogen by weight in the fertilizer. The values for P and K represent the amount of oxide in the form of P2O5 and K2O that would be present in the fertilizer if all the elemental phosphorus and potassium were oxidized into these forms.

Bruce

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Thanks, but not what I was asking. >:-)

• chilemilio
    10 years ago

I tried to grow a bunch of peppers in tiny containers, not much smaller than a can a while back. I thought it would be cool to have the top of the kitchen cabinets lined with little pepper plants.

I managed to have them up there for over a year. The problem though was that they never really grew past seedlings. But the second i transferred to bigger containers, they took off.

I think your best chances of a producing plant in a can would be to grow one the normal way for a full season, then make a bonchi out of it, and place in your small container of choice

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The ratio of the fertaliser I bought is a 24:6:12 ratio.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In connection with growing pepper in soda can, I have been studying container size for pepper since last fall. I actually started a thread then. I think it was called "container size for pepps"
    Anyway, the consensus, in general, was that a lot of peppers can be grown normally in pot sizes as small a 2 gallons and a few even in smaller pots. Now I have lined up bunch of pots from 2 gallons up to 7 gallons for my peppers.

So what happens if the pot is small ? Plants are intelligent. They adapt to their environment quickly. When they face themselves with a tough growing condition, they start to getting on with their genetic mission, which is to produce seeds to guarantee the survival of their gene. This is the grand plan in the animals and plants kingdoms.

If you have a short growing season, try planting your peppers in smaller containers. They will start fruiting sooner than if they were planted in a nice fertile garden or a huge pot.

I MIGHT BE WRONG>

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms