Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evowrex

Is my Ghost Chilli plant going well?

Evowrex
10 years ago

What would you say? Some of the bottom leaves are curling inward and the fruit is taking quite a while to ripen, but I have heard that it can take up to 3 weeks to ripen.
Please comment what you think.
Everything is appreciated ðÂÂÂ

Comments (17)

• tomt226
    10 years ago

That's either a small plant or humongous pods!
    My Bhuts took about 2 weeks after the median temperature stayed in the mid-90's to 100's.

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey,
    Hahaha nah, the plant isn't that small its about 34cm or 13" tall.
    Maybe the pods are huge but they're about 7cm or 3" long.
    Do you know anything about the curling leaves? I'm kinda worried there is something wrong with it.
    Thanks

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Looks ok. Sparse on the foliage, though. Have you pruned it? Inward curl is usually something physiological -- moisture, temps, humidity, etc. Probably nothing to worry about. Check for pests though.. aphids, thrips,etc.

Yes. pod ripening will test your patience. They'll take forever to get to full size green, then forever to an orangish red, and then another forever to finally get to a final deep red.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Bhuts take about 6 weeks or so to ripen for me....

That is a small plant at 13-inches, for sure. Thankfully, the pods look mostly Bhut-like.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yes, that is very small for a Bhut. But the pods look great. How many Bhut pods does a guy really need anyway?
    Bruce

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Evowrex,
    Hell, my Bhuts didn't get any pods 'till they were 3-4' tall, about six weeks after moving to the outside. Had two waves, one about June, then the last about September/October. The early pods were the largest, about 3-4," the later ones about 2-1/2". I've overwintered four in a hoop house outside this year, so we'll see what happens. I want perennial Bhuts if possible, 'cause this starting every year is a PITA.
    esoxO7,
    At least 365...one for every day of the year. ;-)

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, all
    Thanks for replying.
    Woohooman, yes. to a certain extent. I am quite new to this hobby and don't quite know what you mean. I have cut off a few bottom leaves though because I was told it promotes growth.
    Esox07, as much as a guy can get. Looks like 2 is what I'm getting.

I have one last question. The flowers are falling off and withering is moved, even by the smallest bump, is the plant getting too much water or not enough?
    Thanks dudes!

• tomt226
    10 years ago

I'd say it's trying to support too much fruiting without enough greenery. Nip those pods off and let it get some size and a better root system before allowing it to produce. You putting bone meal around it? That's key, because peps love it.
    BTW, the green pods are hot too...

10 years ago

Bone meal takes way too long to become available to the plant. Better to add it the previous year to the garden soil - or months in advance.

Josh

10 years ago

How hot is it there? There's many reasons for flower drop, but extended daytime temps over 95F and/or nighttime temps over 75F is a common reason.

If that's the case, you may want to get it shaded during the peak of the day.

Kevin

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The temps change a lot. It could be 25c and then 1 hour later it could be raining. But usually, at this time of year it is around 25c to 35c which is 75f to 95f in the day. At night it gets to around 15c.
    Thanks

• rdback
    10 years ago

How long before your first frost? I'm not sure you have enough time to ripen pods from flowers now.

Rick

10 years ago

Borrowing willard3's post of reasons for blossom drop. Thanks willard3.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
    2. Night temp too low 85F
    3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
    4. Too much water
    5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
    6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
    7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
    8. Lack of pollinating insects.
    9. Size of pot

1. Too much mineral in feedwater.
    2. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Which one(s) do you think might be a caose?

Kevin

• tomt226
    10 years ago

greenman28,
    Gonna have to disagree with you on the bone meal. I usually put a handfull in the planting hole and mix it around before putting the plant in. Additionally, I'll scratch some in every month around the drip line and make sure the irrigation is soaking evenly.
    Water is the transmission medium for most minerals, including clay minerals, so friable soil is a must.

10 years ago

Folks do all sorts of things when planting....eggshells, banana peels, bonemeal, et cetera. But that doesn't change the fact that these various organics/amendments ought to be added well in advance so that they've reliably broken down to become available as nutrients to the plant.

Josh

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey guys. Thanks again for all the help, I am kinda new to this.
    I think I may be over watering the plant, I found that a good amount is about 3 litres a week. So I'll stick to that.
    Also, I have been told to use fertiliser, some thing like 10/10/10...
    And to be honest I have seen 0 bee's around my house lately, maybe I should invest in some flowers to attract come bee's here?
    Let me know what you think!ðÂÂÂ

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Use a 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer, like 24:8:16. Peppers don't use the nutrients in a 1:1:1 ratio.

Bees are not required to pollinate peppers. They are mostly self-pollinating.

Don't water on any schedule, either time or amount. Let the plant tell you when it wants water.

Dennis