Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott123456_gw

Santa Fe

scott123456
10 years ago

Santa Fe Pepper

I am wondering if anyone has the scoville rating of the Santa fe pepper or if anyone has had the same experience with them as I did? From what I have read it is listed around 2000-5000 units. This can not be correct. I grew them last year (free seeds) and they are much hotter than a jalape�o probably a tad hotter than a Serrano. I would say more like 20,000-50,000. I was so impressed with their heat and flavor that I am not growing any jalape�os, pepperoncini, banana peppers ect this year so I can grow more of the santa fe. The Santa fe will be my only milder hot pepper variety. It is seriously that good and great for pickling. I have read on another forum that people have witnessed them being hotter than advertised but I was wondering if any of you have had the same experience. Also, if you haven�t tried it, it�s worth a spot on your grow list IMO.

Thanks,
Scott

Comments (10)

• kentishman
    10 years ago

I 'm not familiar with them, but they sound interesting. They seem to be at a heat level I can tolerate. I'll be on the lookout for any seed offers for them. What's the pod shape?

Tom

• scott123456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They look kinda like an extra-large jalapeno. They start pale green and then yellow, then orange , and finally red. A beautiful multi colored plant. I found they are good at any stage of maturation yellow-orange was my favorite. I will look to see if I have any seeds left and would be happy to send you some if I do. I found another site that has them listed at 500-700 shuâÂÂs. That it laughable! My jalapeno and banana pepper heat didnâÂÂt even register with me last year and where bland in comparison, thatâÂÂs why I gave them up for more of these. Mine look like the pictures on the net, but IâÂÂm wondering if I have a similar looking pepper that is much hotter or if these just vary that much in heat. If it wasnâÂÂt for them being bonus seeds from a vender, I would have never even given them a shot with a listed shu of 500-700, but IâÂÂm glad I did. They are one of my new favorite peppers.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

This it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Fe Grande

• kentishman
    10 years ago

Scott,

Your description of them makes them even more appealing. If you do have extra seeds, I'd like to get a few. I've sent you an email.

Many thanks,
    Tom

• kentishman
    10 years ago

I did a little research and found this comment from one grower:

" It seems the less water they received, the hotter they got."

Tom

• User
    10 years ago

The last time I grew Santa Fe Grande (seed from NMSU CPI) was 2009. My notes indicate that maybe 4,000 SHU's.

20k to 50k SHU? Where did your seed come from?

Bill

• scott123456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not the best and estimating SHUâÂÂs and I have no official way of measuring them. I came up with those numbers just by comparing them to other peppers in my garden and then guessing. I am assuming my jalapenos where around 5,000 with no perceived heat and that my golden cayennes where around 50,000. I had Santa fes that where about half as hot as my golden cayennes and Santa feâÂÂs that where on par with my goldens. It is possible that my goldens and jalapenos where all lower than advertised making the Santa Fe seem hotter than they actually where. That is why I am on here to see what you all have witnessed. But I now have three different listed SHUâÂÂs thanks to DMForcer
    500-700, 2,000-5,000 and 5,000-8,000. So it looks to me like no one knows for sure. I got the seeds from an infamous vender you all probably know who I am referring to.

• scott123456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

peppergal.com dicribes them as:

"Santa Fe Grande Hot Pepper - 3 1/2"x 1 3/4" peppers, medium thick wall, yellow to orange to red, very hot. 90 days from transplant. C. annuum "

No, this is not where I got my seeds, but atleast some one else thinks they are hot

• scott123456
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tom I checked and I have a few seeds left. I never received your email send me your add and I'll send them out.
    Thanks,
    Scott

• kentishman
    10 years ago

Thanks Scott. I sent the email through the email service given on "My Page" that's accessed next to your user name.

I've just sent another email directly to the email address listed there. The email address that appears next to my user name is valid and an email sent there should find me.

Thanks again for offering to send seeds!

Tom

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!