Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

coffee grounds

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

coffee grounds are supposedly a good source of nitrogen. I did a search, and did not find one thread in the hot pepper forum about using coffee grounds with pepper plants.

does anyone do it? should I do it? if not, why not?

background info: I'm using 5-1-1 mix, and I'm concerned about excess amounts of sapwood. I would like to offset that by adding supplemental nitrogen in addition to my 24-8-16 fertilizer (MG all purpose).

Comments (10)

• tomt226
    10 years ago

I use it on hibiscus, Bouganvillas, geraniums, and others and it seems to work fine. Like any other "green" compost, it takes time to break down.

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Hey, Judo.

Just curious is you ever got the water tested when you lived on the East Coast. I am wondering what the deal is with my City of Cocoa water. I never had it tested.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

I think that adding coffee grounds would be a fine way of introducing a mild, slow release form of nitrogen. Coffee grounds don't seem to compact much either, but i don't know if it'll clog up your 5-1-1 mix after it starts breaking down. I used to use it more, but found the whole collection thing to be messy and distracting so nowadays i just throw some in my containers.

Truth be told, even with modest amounts of sapwood, i think the MG 24-8-16 would be more than fine.

Steve

• Valdo
    10 years ago

A word of caution. I used to use coffee grounds like crazy. But I had a jalapeno that the coffee took it over. It actually climbed up the plant- starting to rot it. So I would say once in a while or a little bit but not the daily cup or carafe of grinds.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Don't expect to use grounds in place of fertilizer. Like any compost they take quite a while to decompose. I suppose you could put them in a coarse mix provided that there is enough perlite, but I wouldn't make them a major component.

Dennis

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Just before coming here, I did some potting(separating and re potting). To the potting mix I added some Oil Dri (DE) and some coffee ground (Not too much) . I don't think that the "N" in coffee ground is readily available, meaning it needs to be broken down . So the reason I added was not so much for the "N" effect but to provide some texture. I could be wrong ! I Normally I dump my coffee ground in the compost pile. And now I am saving some for slug control.

BTW: Coffee is naturally acidic. But after brewing it, most of the acid ends up in your cup. lol

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Coffee grounds are not a significant source of nutrients or acidity, and are really best used in the garden, raised beds, et cetera, as others have mentioned. In a container, they will most certainly clog the mix and impede drainage over time. Coffee grounds will also form a thick anaerobic matting (if applied too deep) and cause many problems.

I'd stick with the known fertilizer.

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, so even though it's a decent source of nitrogen, it's slow to break down, and will clog up the drainage in 5-1-1. ok then, I guess I'll stick to normal fert. thanks for the info guys.

and now, there's a thread about coffee grounds in the pepper forum. in case someone else wonders the same thing.

• bob_in_pc
    10 years ago

I compost coffee grinds.

• neoguy
    10 years ago

Worms love coffee grounds, put the grounds in the garden or in the compost pile, not in pots.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH