Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants drooping

Posted by jarrydleestewart none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 4:01

Hey guys plants are starting to get a bit bigger now but they are starting to droop a bit just wondering if this is normal? Some also are get some white stuff on the top of the leaves? Any help and comments are appreciated this forum is so handy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants drooping

This is the white stuff

o

Is that soil as wet as it looks?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 14:23

Looks like leaf miner damage on the leaves.

Usually, if wilting persists more than a day or 2 after transplanting and you know the soil isn't going completely dry, it's an over-watering problem.

Al

o

As Al said could be a over watering sign. I had the same issue a few weeks ago. I now water once a week once my soil looks dry and my plants are much happier and grown way bigger since.

And the leaves do look like leaf miner tracks. They dont hit my peppers but they hit my other veggies alot here.
Rey....

o

No it's actually dry the soil on top there i probably water once every 3 days but the temperatures here have been like 35 degrees Celsius so they dry out pretty quick. What are leaf miners? Are they a problem if so what should I do to get rid of them?
Thanks Jarryd

o

Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 19:31

They're tough to be rid of because they're protected by the leaf epidermis and systemic insecticides, which are effective, aren't good choices for food crops.

Don't water until a sharpened wooden dowel pushed to the bottom of the pot comes out dry. You'll quickly figure out a rhythm that has you watering a little ahead of time to avoid the soil becoming completely dry. Plants hate wet and dry soils - preferring soils about as damp as a well wrung out sponge.

Al

o

Alright so I let them dry out stuck a wood skewer in there and it came out bone dry so I gave them a little water they perked up a bit over the last couple of days but then they drooped again is it likely to be wilting because the soil was dry?

o

Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 7:08

Yes - prolly from to little water if the stick was dry.

You don't want to water in sips. It causes ALL the unused salts from fertilizer solutions and tap water to accumulate in the soil. Flush the soil so at least 15-20% of the total volume of water applied exits the drain hole (carrying accumulating salts with it). If you can't water this way w/o risking root rot or impaired root function, you need to take a closer look at you're soil, because you're going to be fighting it for control of your plants.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here