Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

White hair under the leaves

chilliwin
11 years ago

Two days about 5 hours each day I put my plants outside. One of the days was a bit cold even though we got sunshine. Some of the young plants got stress (leaves dropping). Immediately I put all the plants back inside the room. After a few hours every plants are back to normal.

This plant is Ghost Red, the soil is Al's 5:1:1, these pictures are before I exposed to the sunlight outside the room.

{{gwi:1151825}}

{{gwi:1151826}}

Today I found white hairs under the leaves. Most of the top leaves have this white hairs.

These pictures are after exposed to the sunlight outside.

{{gwi:1151827}}
{{gwi:1151828}}

The upper side of the leaves have no sign of this white hair.

{{gwi:1151830}}

I am requesting for your help to identify this white hair problem.

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

Comments (8)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Hi Caelian what you are seeing is called trichome, the pubescent have this more abundantly. With peppers it's tiny white hairs while other plants display different trichomes. You can Google trichome and read about it. Nothing to worry about.

Mark

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Werewolf Peppers.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mark,
    Thank you for the info.
    Just I applied insecticide/fungicide from Bayer :(

{{gwi:1151832}}
    {{gwi:1151834}}

Not only I exposed to the sunlight I used led lights very close from the top too.
    {{gwi:1151837}}

The Trinidad Scorpion Moruga I exposed to the sunlight together does not have this white hair but it has no led lights.
    {{gwi:1151838}}
    {{gwi:1151839}}

esox07 Werewolf Peppers would be better than the fungi pepper I hate fungus of any type. Thank you for your words and reading my post.

Now I washed the Bayer insecticide/fungicide :) I hope it won't hurt the plant.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have bought this Ghost seeds from ebay, the seller is based in Germany. I am just wondering is it real ghost or hybrid :(!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I think you already know that Ebay is a crap shoot for seed purity. But to me, the plant looks like it could be a Ghost Pepper plant but until you get some mature pods, it will be hard to tell. Maybe someone with a bit more experience can give you a little more insight.
    Bruce

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bruce,

Before I found the Gardenweb I have bought it.

Now I do not buy seeds from eBay.

You are right until I got the mature pods I cannot say it is real or not.

Today Mark's reply safe my plant. I thought it was fungus and sprayed Bayer's insecticide/fungicide. After I got advice from him I washed the plant immediately but now I found one of the leaves burned a little bit. I used very small quantity with water but still so strong. Really I hate all these insecticide/pesticide/fungicide last year I lost many plants because of it.

Caelian

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

caelian: It is all part of learning. Most of us did things just like you and when they find something that they don't expect, they reach for the Front End Loaders, Napalm and Rocket Launchers. It is a common reaction. I have found over the last few years to take a deep breath, do some research, ask question on GW HP Forum and then proceed from there. I still have my flame thrower and Chemical weapons stockpile if all else fails.

Bruce

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our Gardenweb forum gives answers our questions most of the time. I should wait for an answer but yesterday I did not do it, my stupid mistake :).

Mark answered my request quickly but before I read it I Googled a bit and thought it was white powder mild dew. I also did not expect to get answer so quickly. At first I thought to apply spray milk added water as Erik advised before for fungus. Then the white hair are very long so I thought a bit powerful should be better so I used Bayer.

For the future I will wait for answer at least one day :).

Have a nice day.

Caelian