Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evowrex

best way to grow reapers?

Evowrex
10 years ago

Hey there guys.
I just purchased some reaper seeds and I should have them tomorrow.
I'm just wondering what the best ways to grow them from seed. I have seen some people's light setup but I don't have that sort of money.
Is there any cheap and easy ways to germinate and grow the reapers.
I have bought these (pictured) and I also have some suitable fertiliser. I have heard that peppers love sand so I might have to include some in these pots.
Also, how many seeds should I sew into each little pot.
thanks for all your help!

Comments (7)

• kentishman
    10 years ago

There are lots of ways people go about this. I'll tell you my technique and other folks can share their methods.

I like to start seeds on a damp piece of paper towel in a small plastic container that restaurants put sauce, etc., in when you order food to go. The advantage is you can see the seeds and know exactly when they pop (germinate). For reapers it'll take about two weeks. Keep the seeds in a really warm place at around 85F.

When you see the tip of a white root emerge, it's time to put them in some good potting soil. Wet down the soil and poke a hole about 1/4 inch deep with a toothpick. Lift the seed on the tip of a paring knife, put it in the hole with the root pointing down, cover with soil, and mist it to settle the soil around the seed. Again, keep the pot in a warm place. It'll take around four days for the seedling to emerge from the soil.

You'll need to check on progress about daily (don't let the paper towel dry out), but most of us chiliheads don't mind fussing over our babies.

This should get you started. Come back and ask for more help once you've got the seedlings started.

Good luck,
    Tom

• Drosera84
    10 years ago

Hello
    Pepper seeds donâÂÂt need light to germinate but they do need heat. What you can do is put your seed in a damp paper towel spay it with some fungicide. But if you don't have any fungicide you can sprinkle it with cinnamon. It doesnâÂÂt work as well but it will keep the fungus at bay. After that you can put the paper towel in a plastic bad then laid the bag near the refrigerator. The most heat is behind the refrigerator but on top will be okay too. (Try to lay it on top but further to the back). Check it every other day. They should germinate in a week or so

• willardb3
    10 years ago

Get a zip lock bag and a piece of paper towel

Spread the seeds on the paper towel and fold it over

Wet the paper towel (wet, not soppy), insert it in the ziplock bag and seal the bag. Put it in a place that stays 85F (measure it, don't guess) and wait

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have heard from my experiencd gardener friends that I should wait until around october to do it because otherwise they'll be weak in the climate. Should I wait? Or should I do half of my seeds now and half then. (I only have 10 seeds)
    Let me know. Cheers

• kentishman
    10 years ago

Where are you?

• Evowrex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

• kentishman
    10 years ago

OK, so you're approaching winter. Yes, I think you should wait. I started my Reaper seeds here in South Carolina at the end of December, and the plants are now 9 inches tall and look healthy. The last frost date is in 2 weeks and they can go outside after that. If your seasons are 6 months apart from mine, you'd plant seeds at the end of June and grow them inside until warm weather starts. Maybe someone else who is in Australia can give you better advice.

Good luck!

Sponsored