Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuda911

Carolina Reaper

Cuda911
11 years ago

Hey, new to this site, but far from new to growing.

Habajalokia or whatever his name is killed the last Carolina Reaper thread, so resurrecting it.

I started germinating the seeds on March 16. Will keep you posted. The last thread was full of rather ridiculous comments and speculations. 99.387% of the posts were useless.

How about a factual thread... featuring comments by people who are growing them (or at least have first-hand knowledge)? That's the intent here.

10 bucks for 10 seeds (actually, there were 14 in the packet)... so if they don't pan out per the hype, big deal. Sheeesh... a lot were acting like they were going to have to take out a second mortgage to buy them.

We need a new "world's hottest pepper"... Scorpions already have me bored. I hope these live up to the hype in the press... by the end of 2013 we will all know.

Comments (247)

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    8 years ago

Ok I'm super pumped! First ripe reapers and the plant is still loaded! I started these babies in February and have coddled them for so long they feel like real offspring. Joking. So far about 50% have the tails. I highly recommend trade winds for seeds they have great hot pepper varieties and I always get great germ.

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

@charleygreko I have nothing but great things to say about www.chileplants.com tremendous success with all of the plants I've gotten from there.

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

Looks good hobbyartisan. I just made hotsauce with a bunch of my peppers, from serranoes up to super hots. If you have that many pods, making hot sauce will certainly take up a lot of the 'extras'.

8 years ago

Thanks Jim, yes we are a hot sauce on everything kind of family! I have been freezing my peppers in Mason jars until I amass enough. I've got all the super hots still producing and ripening. I even bought a mini charred oak barrel to try a fermented aged batch Tabasco style!

• tomjones5087
    8 years ago

Okay so if hobby artisan picture is reapers then my seeds grew those as well. I thought my plant might have reverted back I thought they look more like habs and vipers. I only had one plant that put off true looking boiled skin with tail reapers you see on the net. Am I wrong or not. I think mine like hobbyartisan have reverted.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

I would question hobbyartisan's reapers as closer to some kind of scorpion. My reapers, from two different plants and each a different seed source are much more bumpy as shown in the pic above. They continue to grow pods the same. They are a more round shape with the bumpy skin and long skinny stinger.

• Bill Vogel
    8 years ago

These are some more of my reapers . I have harvested a bunch already and many more fruit on the plant .

8 years ago

Bill those do look more reaper-y than mine, very nice. Esox based on the fact that I do have about half the pods with tails and half without I had already considered that I probably have a variation on my hands, I was reading you guys' old thread on this from 2013. The purists out there can relax, I don't plan on saving seed or trading so I won't be muddying the lines. I'm more interested in making sauce and celebrating the triumph over my climate in getting these to ripen- yay me!

I am also growing trini morugas and they look nothing like my reapers, they are way more rounded with way less of a tail, more of just a point. I bought some reaper seeds from pepper joe last year and none germinated and I never have problems germinating normally so I tried this other supplier.

• terrykb11
    8 years ago

These peppers look like my Trinidad Moruga Scorpions. My Carolina Reapers are more elongated and have a longer more defined nipple.

• Bill Vogel
    8 years ago

These are from plants purchased at http://www.chileplants.com/. I have also ordered other peppers seeds from http://www.pepperjoe.com/ . I plan on growing my own from seed next year . These Reapers are incredibly hot . I was cutting about a dozen open to remove the seeds and my sinuses and eyes started to run and the fragrance was throughout the first floor of my house . Good luck to all in your growing of the chile !

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey, grab a dehydrator, fill that sucker up with cut open reapers, put it on the kitchen counter and turn it on when you leave for work. When you get home, you will have a nice fragrant aroma wafting throughout the house.

Seriously though, don't do this. You will have to go in with a mask turn off and remove the dehydrator and then air out the house for six hours. But at least you won't need to call the Orkin man any time soon.

I did it in my garage with some super hots and was barely able to go into the garage and the garage isn't even insulated and sealed.

• Bill Vogel
    8 years ago

I need a good hot sauce recipe for these reapers . Anyone have a recipe that they have used with the reaper ?

• Bill Haas
    8 years ago

Good Morning All, Bill Vogel, Bill_Missy, Junkyard. I'm adding several names in hopes that one of you are still around.

I'm pretty sure after reading over this thread that I am going to sound like the stupidest person here. But I got to ask a few questions anyway. As you can see in the pictures from 8-27-2015 to 9-27-2015 my plants were planted way late due to I never knew these things ever existed. I had to try my hand at growing them. I ordered 10 reapers and 10 scorpions. These are the biggest 3 I have. The 2 in the same pot are reapers and the other is the scorpion. I have babied them like you can't imagine. My cat decided to try to eat one of them and it still survive.

Anyway I live in Southeastern Idaho and it is starting to get a little cold here at times. I bring them in every night to keep them warm and back out on the good days. Will I be able to keep them alive long enough to get a pepper off them? Better yet, will they live thru the winter here if I keep them in the house and warm? Also if I can make them live thru the winter will they produce next summer like early in the season cause they will be so big? I think I have some buds starting on the one scorpion. They are pretty weird looking buds. Anyway, any answers you can give me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bill H.

8-27-2015

9-2-2015

9-15-2015

9-27-2015

Or should I just cut my loss and say I did good for never doing anything like this before in my life. LOL!!!! Buy all new seeds and start all over again around March or April. These plants were planted on May 17th, 2015.

Thanks for your Time!!!

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

Bill, you can grow them in Antarctica if you build the correct internal grow room, that is not the issue. Whether your home is the right inate for them is what you need to look at. The super hots are fickle. Temps need to be 60s in the evening and 89s during the day with 6-10 hours of sunlight depending on you level of lattitude. You could create all this in your home for sure. If you are wondering if the plant will take care of itself and develop pods, that's not likely. I overwinter some pepper plants and they produce no fruit at all, nor buds. It gives me a head start in the spring. This hear I am putting in a grow room in the basement to have pods year round. I'm also growing pineapple here. Long Island is not exactly a hotbed for pineapple, so I need to recreate the climate.

I think your worse case scenario is you have large full plants in the spring. Just slow down watering and make sure it is room temp and not too cold. I killed a plant in 48 hours after I watered directly from the tap. I water once every 10 days or soand a very limited fertilizing halfway through the winter.

Good luck with them, you may end up with some pretty big plants by the end of next season. Make sure your pots are big enough prior to the real cold setting in if you're not doing the grow room/light setup. The pods of those plants will take about 90 days or so to ripen after they are pollinated. They are considered very long season.

• Bill Vogel
    8 years ago

The plants look very healthy since the earlier posts ! I say try to keep them over winter in the house . You can get a few 4ft fluorescent light fixtures with Aquarium / Plant bulbs in them and they will grow fine . just keep the temps correct and water properly . these plants get very big , mine are about 5 feet tall and 3 /4 feet wide . I'm sure you can get them to pollinate with a small gentle fan blowing or even with a very small artist paint brush . If you decide to give up and get new seeds i can send you some that i harvested from my plants .

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Yep, just give them light, heat and water and they will do fine. However, it sounds like you are in a growing zone similar to mine (Wisconsin) and if you try to simply overwinter those guys, they will be quite big come April of next year. You are probably going to want to prune them back several times during the winter or you will have to have a pretty good sized place to keep them with lots of lights.

Also, keep in mind that you will likely wind up bringing in Aphids with them. If you do, you can get rid of them with some "Insecticidal Soap". It is basically soapy water and is totally natural so no worries about poison. You can even make it yourself or buy it in most garden centers such as walmart or Home Depot.

• Murray Lees
    8 years ago

Having trouble identify these chillies they were supposed to be Carolina reapers but apparently not don't no wat they are any help plz

murray_lees's ideas · More Info

• terrykb11
    8 years ago

that's definitely not a reaper, maybe arbol?

• terrykb11
    8 years ago

Here's ready picked arbol's

• terrykb11
    8 years ago

Having a hard time uploading pic! :(

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Maybe a simple Cayenne. Let me guess, you bought the seeds off Ebay or Amazon.com???

• Murray Lees
    8 years ago

Are they still a super hot, I have ghost peppers forming properly but really wanted some reapers plz try pic again I'm interested to see what I've been sold instead

• pmjonesjr45
    8 years ago

New to the thread but not to growing. I am in the high desert, nuclear sun, 4.300', no water paradise.

Lot's of information here.

Thanks

• terrykb11
    8 years ago

Murray Lees, Arbol Chile's are semi hot. I use them dried when I make my chili powder, along with ancho's and cascabel peppers.

• Murray Lees
    8 years ago

Esox07 yes from eBay but try to find a reputable seller hard to get the seeds in Queensland Australia. My ghost peppers are genuine though immature

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

EBay is a no-no for seeds. By the time people realize they got bell pepper seeds, the seller has sold 5000 packets and closed shop only to set up under a new account to sell more bogus seeds the next year.

The Hippy Seed Company is a pretty well respected outfit located where (AUSTRAILIA). They are a well known outfit and I wouldn't think you would have any trouble finding most of the seeds you want from them. I have never ordered from them but I don't ever recall a bad reference for them on this forum.

http://thehippyseedcompany.com/

• Murray Lees
    8 years ago

Thanks Esox07 most seed shops in Australia seem to not carry the reaper the hippy seed company states they are out of stock "sadface". Found a company in WA but they won't send interstate. Looks like I'm stuck with bhut Jolokia and orange hab's for now. My ghost's are still young though, I have a shitload of cayenne's ripening

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Murray: You could give hippy seed some time, they will get more. Are you still planting for this season or are you looking to next season already. If it is Reapers you want, I will send you some if you send me a self addressed stamped envelope. I have a dish of seeds drying right now from my last harvest of the season. PM me if you want to do the SASE.

• terrykb11
    8 years ago

I have found that the easiest way to replant is just to cut the pod in half or fourths and plant whole thing. I grow the Reapers all year long. If outside they will continue to produce well thru November if warm enough and no frost. I live in FL and my plants are still producing. Harvested 37 peppers yesterday :)

• wahoo1971
    8 years ago

How soon to seperate sprouts

Sprouts i have now only 2 leaves

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

I would wait until they start to get first TRUE leaves before culling any seedlings.

• terrykb11
    8 years ago

I've always waiting until they get 4-6" tall.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

That would be OK too except that by that time, they would be competing with each other for room IMO.

• wahoo1971
    8 years ago

Im just afraid of damaging them when i go to plant them

• Demi Elward
    7 years ago

Hello everyone,

first time growing chillis and I bought (or so I thought) bhut jolokia seeds online. After growing them I was speaking to people in another forum and they don't believe these are bhuts. Can anyone point me in the right direction? They are still in the early development stage but does anyone think they could be reapers?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

NO, that is not a reaper or bhut. I am not real sure what it is, and it may be hot, but I would be surprised if it is a SUPER hot at all. Are there any other pods on the plant?

• Bluevano-Zone 10
    7 years ago
    They're still growimg Bruce. lol
  • esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

I envy you that you have such a long growing season. We had two nights in a row in the mid 30's last week, but I am surprised and most of the plants around here are still doing OK. Even the peppers. I have harvested everything, but the plants are still going. I just don't have the heart to kill them before Mother Nature does.

That is a beautiful looking Reaper and I just want to see the video of when you eat it.

Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    7 years ago

I'm sorry, Demi, but as Bruce said, it's not a Reaper, either.

Do you have any other pods on the plant?

Josh

• Bluevano-Zone 10
    7 years ago
    Give about another 2 weeks so they can be ready and I will have that video for you. lol
  • Bluevano-Zone 10
    7 years ago
    And this Reaper is still growing upwards, a character of its own.
  • Bluevano-Zone 10
    7 years ago

I would be more than happy to send you some seeds from this batch Demi, if you are still willing to grow a Reaper next year. LMK...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Bryan,

Are all the pods growing upwards or just the one?

• Bluevano-Zone 10
    7 years ago

That is the only one, its kind of cute though. Little rebel pod... lol

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Its going to take forever to ripen with the blood rushing to it's feet.

• Bluevano-Zone 10
    7 years ago

My window is closing for future nice warm weather, maybe the cool weather could speed up the process, you think?

• Bluevano-Zone 10
    7 years ago

I think I just conjured the cool weather here in Los Angeles, its 67 degrees and Its freezing. lol

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago

I think it might have even hit 70 here today but a high of 55 tomorrow which is still pretty warm for this time of year.

Yes, I do believe that peppers tend to start ripening their existing peppers when the weather starts to cool down. Sometimes, the pods are just too immature to ripen though.

• Bluevano-Zone 10
    7 years ago
    I believe that's whats going to happen to mine, after my incident with them. Late bloomers...
  • Demi Elward
    7 years ago

Ah darn! No, this was a learning exercise. I'm in Scotland so the plant was growing in doors and I never even thought to pollinate the flowers until the lady minute so this is the only fruit I managed to get! Now it's stuck half green half orange!

Pretty disappointed that it's an unrecognisable pepper!! Oh well

thanks for the help though.

Sponsored