Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carolina Reaper

Posted by Cuda911 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 5:21

Hey, new to this site, but far from new to growing.

Habajalokia or whatever his name is killed the last Carolina Reaper thread, so resurrecting it.

I started germinating the seeds on March 16. Will keep you posted. The last thread was full of rather ridiculous comments and speculations. 99.387% of the posts were useless.

How about a factual thread... featuring comments by people who are growing them (or at least have first-hand knowledge)? That's the intent here.

10 bucks for 10 seeds (actually, there were 14 in the packet)... so if they don't pan out per the hype, big deal. Sheeesh... a lot were acting like they were going to have to take out a second mortgage to buy them.

We need a new "world's hottest pepper"... Scorpions already have me bored. I hope these live up to the hype in the press... by the end of 2013 we will all know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carolina Reaper

Hi Cuda911, yeah the other thread I killed, things were said that should not have been so I killed it. I agree keep it factual and this will be a good thread. We won't know if its the hottest pepper unless its tested officially in 2013. But grow on and let us know what you think on heat and flavor. I grow the Ghost and will for years to come because I like the flavor. Trinidad Scorps to me have more of a habanero flavor and I am not growing again this season maybe in later seasons. Have a good growing season and post pics, I would be interested to see how they grow, taste, and how the pods look.

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 11:30

o

Her is a picture of one of mine that was stowed on feb 25 ish. Good luck with yours.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 11:57

beinnerpepper: Nice reaper. Mine is 9 days older than yours but not nearly as nice looking. But I am having an issue this year and will be repotting all my plants today. I hope mine picks up and I will try to update it's progress as the season wears on.
Bruce

o

Hay Bruce, your looking great! I made a mistake this plant was started January 25 th not February 25. Add another month to yours and you'll see.

Barry

o

Ah, January 25, not February! :) Thought ya had some sort of magic wand. Should be a great thread if we stick to the facts, rather than comments about our perceptions of various people's personalities, motives, etc.

o

I agree, lets keep this post on track. I bought 2 packs of seed from Puckerbutt. Recieved them very fast.(3 days). Of the 2 packs i got 23 seeds and 19 of them came up and are growing growing good. Time will tell how hot they are, but i am happy with puckerbutt and will buy from them again. John

o

Here are my 5. I planted 8 seeds (Bought 10 but kept 2 out just incase) 3 never sprouted.

4 of the 5 where sowed on 10 Feb and sprouted on 19 Feb. The one in the back middle was sowed 26 Jan and sprouted 4 Feb. 9 days to germination.

Bill

o

Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 20:26

Yes, I would suggest we keep supplier names out of this as much as possible to avoid the problems we had with the last thread. If someone wants to know possible suppliers, then it is pretty unavoidable but try to keep opinions on individuals to a minimum.

Bill: Those are absolutely perfect looking plants.

Bruce

o

Thanks Bruce. They are doing very good. I plan to put two in the ground and the other three in containers and isolate by netting two of them.

Bill

o

I didn't bother ordering reaper seeds this year, but I wish I did.

Here is a youtube taste of a guy in South Africa who is growing a lot of varieties of peppers, and has taste tested many - and this is his Reaper vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PrbEKPQIwQ

Curious as to what you guys that are growing them this year think about them. Seems to be worth a grow. I personally don't really care if it is the hottest on Earth, but really curious as to the relative heat levels as compared to the other super hots, the productivity of the plants as compared to the others, and most importantly, the TASTE! I am sure you gurus here will be making powders and sauce from them, and I would love to hear the results.

o

March 26 2013: One of the 6 seeds I started germinating on March 16 just popped his head out of the soil today. Hopefully the rest will soon follow.

Yep, Azorean, I have all sorts of plans for sauces, powders, etc. So far, I have never had the "perfect" sauce (just like I have never had the "perfect" pizza or nachos). All three are my holy grail(s). I guess I just have to develop them all myself. I'll be working on a Carolina Reaper/Wasabi sauce if these peppers pan out, for the ultimate one-two punch.

I watched a few YouTube videos of people eating the Reapers. Everyone ended up throwing up. Yuck. But, they all seemed to enjoy the flavor before the capsaicin got 'em.

o

Paul Tonkin has a go at one of the Reapers - HP22b, A-strain. No vomiting, I think. Paul Tonkin Carolina Reaper pod review

In a Facebook chile growing and tasting Group, we had various growers such as Ed Currie, Jim Duffy, John Ford, and others discussing this particular pepper and the strange conditions of its release. There were some heated comments, of course, and some real tooth-pulling to find information. Finally, Bart Meijer did the legwork, made the phone-calls, and put together an interesting blog with Ed's info on the Carolina Reaper. For those interested in the documentation of the heat, as well as some of the issues with the public release, check out Bart's blog. He's Dutch, so be easy on his English.

Growing, tasting, and using chillies: HP22B "Carolina Reaper"

Josh

o

Josh,

Very good article. The end is no surprise. Thank you for posting.

Bill

o

Thanks, Greenman, a fantastic addition to this thread! That's what I'm talkin' about here... some good data that has cited sources.

Seed number 2 of 6 popped up today in my grow.

o

does anyone have a single reaper seed to spare?

o

Only one seed? Sure. Where do I send it?

Update on grow: Minor mishap involving a cat, a piano, and a lava lamp knocked out two of the plants, but the remaining four are fine. 100% germination rate.

o

OK, it's all set to go out in tomorrow's mail. You're only about 100 miles from here, so should be there Tues. or Wed.

This post was edited by Cuda911 on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 13:49

o
Seed Exchange

Hey there I have some Naga Viper seeds would you want to exchange some because those plants look awsome! My Viper seeds produced great this year althought theyre still small plants. Got them from PepperJoe if you wanted to know. Let me know what youre thinking.

o

Here is my lone reaper

photo IMG_4563_zps364633a3.jpg

o

Romy6,

Very nice looking plant. How old is it?

Bill

o

These are 62 days from seed, the tall one was never topped, I topped them again after this pic, these babies are gonna be huge

o

Bill. I started the plant in October. She has been outside from the beginning. She is just starting to spread her wings. Was stunted all winter. Not to my suprise.

o

Beauties there, kypepperman!

o

reapers 37 days from cuttings. my wife is starting to COMPLAIN about the electric bill. lol

o

Started these at the end of February. 100% germination and pretty hardy plants. I live in northern ohio and the weather can change fast and dramatically, so these things have been moved inside and outside a lot and only have some minor sunburn to show for it. I got the seeds from the infamous pepper joe

o

More cr

o

Another cr

o

Another cr

o

FYI they are inside now because it rained for like two days straight and then it went from around 80 degrees to below 40 degrees in less than 48 hours. I woke up this morning freezing and my first thought was oh no my plants. I rushed them inside and they seem to be ok.

o

Scott,

I too live in Northern Ohio, whereabouts are you? Im in Bowling Green and youre 100% right, weather at 80* then low 40's and frost warning next day...cant beat it lol

o

If you got them from that vendor, good luck, hope you got what you think you did.....

o

I know I didn't know any better at the time but keeping my fingers crossed. This is my first year trying to grow peppers and i wanted a super hot I had never heard of. I didn't know about the controversy or the hype until later. Pepperguy I'm in the Akron area. What is topping??? I am guessing I should have done that lol. Any pointers for a new grower would be greatly appreciated. I have 16 different varieties going 50 plants.

o

Scott123456,

I say that has I have gotten "burned" more than once and the Reapers I received from that vendor look nothing like yours. I will now shortly if that is what I got as mine are flowering like crazy right now.

Bill

o

Let us know what you get Bill and I will do the same. Good luck

o

Some pics of the first pods on my Carolina Reaper. It didn't set pods for me until temps were in the upper 80's.

o

Nice pod, Junkyard.
Caelian

o

Thanks. Here's a different pod.

o

That's makin my mouth water

o

Mine are not as nice as Junkyard but here are a few.

photo IMG_4623_zps912d74e0.jpg

photo IMG_4670_zps67cc416d.jpg

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 14:59

Nice pics guys. My single reaper plant is still only a few inches tall. I just hope I can nurse it along to get some good pods off it before the season ends up here. Weather has really hurt me here which has compounded my struggle with starting the plants earlier this last winter.
Bruce

o

gonna be loaded by next week

o

Beautiful plant kypepperman. How in the hell did you get a superhot so big, in the ground, in zone 6, so early in the season???

Kevin

o

a big electric bill

o

Some fine looking plants there growers!!!!
I am new to growing..and I mean NEW....
I have 1 reaper plant 35 trini scorpions and 35 bhut Jolokias as well...
I will be here looking for tips I am sure, got started late this year, but I will be ok. ( i hope)

o

It is real pleasure to read this thread. I was so far from Carolina Reaper due to a very long hot thread, hotter than any hottest chili of GW I have read here :-).

All these nice pictures draw my attention to grow CR. I'd like to try next season. How is the flavor, is it better than ghost? I like the flavor of ghost.

Caelian

o

Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 19:41

Caelian,
I have a CR growing. Pretty small right now but actually putting out several buds already. If I can get some good ripe pods off it, I will be sure to send you some seeds if I can also send a pod and you will agree to eat it and let us all know how it tastes.
Bruce

o

LMAO..

PAIN to others-- the only true reason why Bruce grows superhots.

:)

o

Bruce, thank you for the nice words. Somewhat I am good at eating hot chilies :-)

Caelian

o

Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 10:32

Yes, if you can actually tell someone what a Ghost Pepper tastes like, you must have a high tolerance. Most people say they can taste the super hots just before the burn starts and wipes it out. However, all I get is burn.
Bruce

o

Hello all,

Here is a couple pics of one of my five Reaper plants. This one started setting pods about 5 days ago. This plant is going crazy. The pics is right after a short rain shower.

Bill

o

This plant has a lot of blooms

o

One more with a mean tail.

o

that's the one I want to taste , awesome pic of an awesome looking pod. future pic of the day on garden web

o

So I have good sized peppers on most of my sweet, mild and medium variety plants, but I do not have any blooms or flowers on any of my hots and superhots (specifically my carolina reapers and multiple variety of habs) whats the deal? Of course the ones I want the most. Is there anything I should do? Should I be worried?

o

Could anyone hook it up with a pepper? I want to taste these pepper sooooo sooo bad.

o

Could anyone hook it up with a pepper? I want to taste these pepper sooooo sooo bad.

o

Ill trade fresh pepper for carolina fresh

o

Scott: "Is there anything I should do? Should I be worried?"

Yes -- be patient. No.

Chinense varieties take considerably longer than annuums. If you look closely at your chinenses, you'll probably see a bunch of flower "buds." It's just a matter of time -- a long time for the impatient.

:)

Kevin

o

This thread is the business....lots of great
Pics of some beautiful plants.

o

Thanks Kevin. Seeing all these beautiful reapers makes me anxious for mine.

o

update. major disappointment. the plant above is either a unstable plant, a crossbred plant, or someone put the wrong seed in the pack. I am going with the wrong seed. this plant is absolutely loaded with pods and I mean loaded. problem is they are sure not reapers. I posted pics of the pods in a group I am in and was contacted by ed as to where I got my seeds. ed is a good fellow and I hope he can get to the bottom of this. the good news is I still have one plant that is producing reaper pods in my garden and two at another location that appears to be producing correct pods. I sure hope no one else has this happen to them. and we are not here to bash any vendors, because I know someone will want to.

o

Kypepperman do you know what kind of pepper it is? Mystery peppers can be fun and since you do have plants with reaper pods its not a total loss.

Mark

o

Here is the one that is growing real pods. Its not to shabby either. No i dont know what the other one is but i tried one of the pods from it and it is gonna be hot

o

Maybe you can post a pic on a separate thread and we can help identify :) your plant above looks great

Mark

o

My first ripe reaper. She is a beauty. Gonna sample it tonight. Wish me luck:)

photo IMG_4722_zps633abb53.jpg

o

And the insides of the pepper.

photo IMG_4759_zpsd6feb6ca.jpg

A very hot pepper. Hard to say hottest I have ever had but plenty of heat for me:)

o

Romy,

Did you eat the entire pepper or portions? I am a few days away from my first ripe Reaper and I plan to eat it whole. (A deal I had to make with my wife so I could buy what I needed to grow peppers :) Stupid me....)

Bill

o

I am worry about my super hot chilies. Last year I had habanero none of them were HOT they looked like habanero and taste like bell pepper :-) I thought due to the lack of light they were not very hot, I am not sure. Now I have lights and probably I'll know this time.

I hope most of you have grown in the natural light/sunlight so you may not have problems of HOT. I do not know grow lights can give the HOT it supposed to be.

Well, very nice pictures, and thank you to keep this forum very active and useful.

Caelian

o

Bill missy. I only ate about a 1/5 of a pod. My stomach cannot handle fresh uncooked supers:)

o

so how did it tase romy

o

Cuda 911, "Carolina Reaper/Wasabi sauce" it sounds great, could you please explain to me how to prepare it? I have grown some wasabi again after 2 times failed this time probably it would be fine. Instead of wasabi I can use horseradish too, fresh roots are available here.

Caelian

o

Kypepperman, it was actually a very tatsty pepper for the first minute till the heat kicked in. Has a very floral odor with a slight sweet / citrusy taste.Flavor similiar to that of a cayenne with heat of a typical 7 pot. No earthy hab flavor. You can taste the chinense flavor but it is not overpowering. Would make a great sauce or powder.

o

its on now

o

is this ugly or what

o

U..G ..L.. Y ....You ain't got no alibi......you UGLY!!! That's some very intimidating pods you have there. Are you planning on eating one, or a piece of one when they turn red? I'm interested to hear as many reviews as possible, If they pan out, I'll be begging for seeds. Please keep us posted.

Tim

o

Anybody willing to spare some reaper seeds or sell a pod?

o

Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 9:39

I have one growing an it is blooming now. Not sure if any pods have set yet but I will be harvesting several for seed. I sure as heck ain't gonna eat them.
Bruce

o

Geez Bruce....live a little. Maybe you can try a sliver on a cheese cracker. I need reviews so I know whether to grow them next year or not. I think after seeing kypepperman's pics, I'd grow them just for looks. Those things are beautiful/scary!

Tim

o

Very nice. CR is teasing me.
Caelian

o

Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 19:36

Peppernovice: I will try to remember to send you one and you can let me know how it tastes. Otherwise, I am not likely to every find out.
Right now, it looks as though my CR is dropping blooms but that is to be expected. Too cool and wet here now. It looks like the rain will let up here after today but still highs in the 70's and lows in the lower 50's for several more days. Things look to be improving towards the later part of next week and I am hoping that the conditions are favorable for some pods to set soon.
Bruce

o

Here is one of my Reaper plants with ripe pods. I am going to pick the 2 ripe ones here after dinner. I have to eat one because of a stupid bet I made with my wife (I can spend money on pepper stuff if I eat one of each of what I grow, DUMB me....)

Bill

o

And the pods..... This has be thinking twice....

o

Bruce, your like me. Growing them, but sure ain't
going to eat them. lol. I will dehydrate some, and give
others away at the other hot forum..So far, out of 3
reapers, only one has the right look with the tail.

o

The 2 pods off the plant

o

Here is one of the two pods after I cut it open. This pic is right after a ate the one on the left. (Dang wife forgot it hit play on her Iphone to record video)

I scraped out the seeds to save and left the placenta in tack. I ate it hole minus the seeds.

Cutting it open, first thing you got was the smell of flowers to me, kinda like a Lilly. Very strong aroma must nice smell. Once I popped it in my mouth you could taste a floral sensation almost fruity. I would say it took about 15 seconds or so before the heat came. Plenty of time to savor. Once the heat built up, it surrounded the tongue. No real throat burn. The heat kept building for a few minutes and went all they way to the back of the tongue but still not to the throat. After about 7 minutes the heat in the mouth/tongue started to subside then it attacked the lips pretty hard. That for me was the most intense part of the pain once it got to the lips.

All in all, nice tasty pepper and hot. Would I say the hottest I ever had, no chance of that. I have had Bhuts much worse.

Bill

o

Bill/Missy......... Never let anyone say that you don't suffer for the love of this hobby. I wonder if the first pod or two will be a little low on the heat level. I know several times I've picked the first pod of the year and was disappointed at the heat level, only to pick one later and get significantly higher levels of heat. So far you and Jamie have tried one and both said it wasn't as hot as you thought it would be. I will be interested in hearing what the second or third pod is like. Then we will know if it's really hot or not.
Bill......I'll take you up on that offer, but it will be more like a piece, maybe half. I doubt I'll eat the whole pod.

Tim

o

Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 10:46

You guys talk like it wasn't any big deal. What I am getting is that it wasn't nearly as hot as advertised, yet it had some good heat. Sounds like the flavor was interesting if not desireable also. I guess I won't know since a Habanero would light me up. Worst I had was a tiny piece of Naga a couple years ago. That was enough to curb my curiosity severely. My adventurous teen years a long gone.
Bruce

o

Nice review Bill. Just like what I thought. Great pepper just not the hottest.

photo IMG_4790_zpsa28a0291.jpg

o

Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 12:52

I just checked my reaper. It has a few new pods and is still producing a lot of blooms. They are too small to get a feel for how they are going to look when mature but as they get bigger, I will post a photo. I think I will go out and bag a branch so I can get some isolated pods/seeds to harvest this fall.

I am looking forward to some feedback on the heat. I am sure they will be quite hot, but for me, anything over a Habanero is too hot to quantify. I am hoping some of the fire eaters out there who can actually discern the heat level over a million will be able to chime in towards the end of the summer.
Bruce

o

Okay, maybe not the hottest, but surely the UGLIEST. Whew!

FWIW, I had good luck having someone send me some pods in the mail last year. Used First Class standard envelope and the pods got beaten up very little - a lot less than one might suspect. I'd do it again. So when sending a couple ounces of pods, save some money.

I'm with Mark, btw. I grow Ghost for taste as well as for its fearsome reputation. CR sounds interesting.

Dennis

o

It's been 100+ this week..dropping flowers like crazy..few pods hoping when weather cools down to get a few more..also growing some jays ghost scorpions ..should be hot also;)

o

"I have had Bhuts much worse"

You didn't get the same pepper that I did. you sure that isn't a cross? Your pods don't look like a reaper.

Here's some of my pods. I grow bhuts too and these are much hotter. I dehydrated one and ate a little piece, maybe 1/4 of the pepper dehydrated, and it made me feel nauseous.

o

another one

o

I think yours is crossed with a bhut. It kind of looks like reaper + bhut.

o

Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 20:43

Wow, that is a wicked looking pepper. And that tail...holy crap!
Bruce

o

Tony469 wow that's a huge pepper bush great job on the size of it. Once it cools down it will be loaded down with pods can't wait to see an update when it's full of pods.

Junkyard your pods look mean, and looks like a true reaper pod. Thanks for the review and pics. I may just have to grow it next year.

Mark

o

Junkyard,

That is an awesome looking pod. In regards to mine possibly being a cross, I do not know. From my understanding this is the first year for this pepper but I am not completely sure. I bought these Reaper seeds from a online supplier that is/was in the heat of the "The newest hottest pepper in the world" campaign.

I have 5 reaper plants growing and this pod came off of the only one that is setting pods. I have a few pods that look a lot like yours, may I picked it to early or... Who know, I sure don't. I am a first year grower and still learning.

Bill

o

Thanks. It's my only plant, but I took cuttings to pot. When I ate a piece, right before the heat kicks in, there is an awesome flavor burst but the heat comes on too quick to tell what it is though. I'll keep this plant around for sure.

o

We've been comparing Ghost and Butch T's with the Reapers in salsas and buffalo chicken. We've used less Reaper in the mixes and so far everyone who has tried them say that the Reapers are far hotter and with a more intense burn than the Butch T's.

The salsas with Ghost powder is like a Fourth of July sparkler in your mouth and throat. And the Butch T's are just plain dangerous. But these Reapers just seem to attack with a more aggressive burn.

I'm sure there are lots of variability with the plants in flavor, heat, and shape. I kept two of the 11 Reapers I planted from seed received from PuckerButt. The pods from one plant all look like gnarly, leprous scorpions... the way they should look and these just look like they want to hurt you. The second plant has a mix of these shapes as well as pods looking more like a ghost...all of these pods have a more glossy look to them as well.

So we've all been pleased with the results and reactions from the Reapers. We have people at work freaked out. No one will grab anything edible in our aisle without first asking "is it hot?"!

o

Reaper coming in at 48 inches and still going strong. this plant is putting out some wicked pods

o

Wow!

The difference one zone makes. My plants (no Reapers, but several other super hots) are in containers and are only half that size right now. If they were in the ground they would be even smaller.

If you have any seeds you would care to share come fall I would most definitely be interested.

o

Wow, what a plant!

Josh

o

You guys have any new updates? I'm very curious because I plan on planting these next year.

Tim

o

Just curious if anyone has a pod or two that I could borrow?

o

Thanks

This post was edited by robshaylia on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 20:51

o

Again

This post was edited by robshaylia on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 20:52

o

They might let you borrow one if you promise to give it back when you're done. :)

Tim

o

Lol once I eat the pod, grow the seeds and produce my own fruit, I'll be sure to give some back!

o

Rob seems like that could take a very long time just to get the right seed ....from the reviews i have read and seen it looks like everyone that bought reaper seeds this year are growing true non reaper plants ......outside of a couple that did get 1 or 2 plants to grow somewhat true out of the 10+ seeds they bought . not good odds that's for sure

BTW 1 of my Reaper plants is for sure not a Reaper its loading up with tons of non reaper pods like most of the others are claiming just not sure if it's from a cross a mix up in seeds they sent or just not as stable as the creators are claiming . will be checking on my other reapers i have growing over the next few days .

This post was edited by Armageddon on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 22:14

o

Carolina reaper. hundreds of pods on this plant and still blooming like crazy

o

id love to get some Carolina Reaper seeds from someone? I have many seeds to trade... Aji Brazilian Pumpkin for your Carolina Reaper? Let me know! Im already planning the grow for next year!

My ABP is around 6 foot tall!

-LPB

o

Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 17:12

Here is what my reaper pods are looking like. I definitely dont have that classic stinger like tail so I am guessing I didn't get a true reaper. Can anyone classify this plant or is it likely just a cross.

o

They look like my Trinidad Scorpion I had last year.

o

Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 19:25

Here is a picture of my Scorpion Butch-T:

o

Here is my largest Reaper plant. It is 54" tall and planted in the ground. It has a 100 plus flowers on it but only one pod. Hope these flowers will turn into pods soon. This thing grows about 2" a week. That is a Butch T to the left of the Reaper and a NuMex Twilight to the right of it.

Bill

This post was edited by Bill_Missy on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 19:03

o

And the one pod that is on it...... Does anyone have any advice on how I can get the other 100+ flowers to turn into pods?? I give fert about every 2-3 weeks and rotate between Alaska 5-1-1 Fish Fert and MG 24-8-16. It is facing the East and gets morning sun and some afternoon sun. Total sun hours about 7-8 hours then full shade. No bugs/insects. It does at times have a leaf drop and a flower drop here and there. Gets a good amount of wind and grows like crazy. It just will not set pods.

Thanks for any advice.

Bill

This post was edited by Bill_Missy on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 20:36

o

That's a scary pod. Maybe the other flowers are too intimidated to turn into pods.

Tim

o

Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 22:54

Yep, I clearly don't have a true reaper. Bill, your plants are awesome this year.
Bruce

o

The news :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Reaper- CBSnews

o

...now if they'd just put as much work into the pepper as they have their multi-year, multi-outlet PR campaign...

o

Hi Bill, ease off the high dose of nitrogen, this is why it's growing so fast and big, nitrogen encourages the leafy growth, stick with just the Alaska fish since that's a lower dose of nitrogen, 5-1-1. After you cut back the nitrogen you will see more pods set.

Mark

o

I got similar advice before about fertilizer. Since my plants are getting flowers I changed the fertilizer to less nitrogen (NPK 3-1-4).

Caelian

o

Thanks guys and gals. I am thinking the weather may have something to do with this also, maybe? It has been in the mid 90's to high 90's with the humidity at 100% during the day and night highs around high 70's. Could this be a factor?

Thanks Mark for the advice on the fert. Is Alaska Fish fert 5.1.1 or should I find something with a higher P - K? I only give fert every 2-3 weeks and alternate. It is just so frustrating to have 100's of flowers and only one pod.

I have read that Blossom set spray may help. Thoughts....

Again, Thank you all for the kind words and advice.

Bill

o

Bill: definitely. Continued highs in the 90's will definitely slow down flower and pod formation. Or continued nighttime highs >75F.

I don't see any mulch. That would cool down the roots tremendously. Also, might try some shade cloth.

Kevin

o

Just updating you guys on the finished product

o

Another pod

o

Prp

o

Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 12:12

Here is my latest harvest. Seems the Reapers are ripening up faster than my other super hots.
Bruce

o

Hello everyone.

I have caught the pepper bug :)

started small with some jelopenos and grew my red savina habanero. so great to eat the red pepper after your cared for it until harvest. Needless to say it was dam hot and i am hooked.

Is there anybody in South Africa that has Ghost pepper seeds and Carolina Reaper seeds as i am now going to redo my whole garden to peppers only (which my wife is not happy about lol).

Looking forward to commenting more on this forum from now on.

o

I live in Alaska and started growing my first set of Carolina Reaper and Scorpion Peppers from seeds on 2 Jan 14. My husband set me up an indoor greenhouse using a 4' table and grow lights, heat mats and silver pipe insulation to keep in the heat. My plants are now huge and already producing peppers. Does anyone have an idea of a good fertilizer to use not that I'm getting peppers? I've been using Chili Focus and Open Sesami (early flowering) Beastie Bloomz (mid flowering) and Cha Ching (late flowering)

This post was edited by Terrykb11 on Fri, May 23, 14 at 22:12

o

I like Butch T. It is better looking than reaper, to me. A bit similar to Habanero. too. I am sure it has more than enough heat for my taste. haha
Maybe I'll grow it next year.

o

I want to grow this pepper but I doubt my abilities on getting the seeds to take off... There is some listings for the plants on amazon.. Do ya'll think it'd be safe to buy them? I have bought plants before on amazon but I worry it may not be the actual plant..

o

Y'all have some very nice plants
FAR TO MANY seem to not understand the fact of the Reaper strain.
Its unstable even into 2014,junk suppliers have unloaded the trash can and many people suffer with the results now.
Please dont pass off your "likeness of" Reaper pods or seeds.
Reapers are deep red,not orange
The true burn effects the throat intensely,yes even the seasoned chili heads will attest to this.
Do your part to clean up this Reaper madness mess,grow them true with integrity,unlike the founding fathers.

o

JKKCC, don't buy off Amazon or eBay (unless it's me). Buy from a reputable dealer. There are a couple of threads here where people list their favorite dealers. See what you can turn up.

Dennis

o

Thank you for the reply and advice ❤❤

💘
JKK

o

Not red yet.

o

• Posted by TNKS none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 18:15

hopefully still attached to the plant? likely not
Leave'em on the plant if you want good quality pods
I have never picked one with a green tail

o

Im a beginner with Reaper and Bhut peppers so have a question regarding extreme temperature. I live on central Vancouver Island in Canada and I started growing my peppers from seed around mid april (10 Bhut, 10 Reaper) and my success was about 98%. I transplanted them into 4 inch square plastic pots and they took right off and were about 4 inches tall with fantastic leaf growth until today when my wife moved an entire flat of mixed ghost and reapers (8 plants) into full sun and placed a clear plastic dome over them about an hour before i noticed them ( its about 80 f today) Needless to say, when I noticed this i immediately removed the dome and picked up the flat to move them into shade ( it was hot to the touch) and the plants were wilted to where they looked dead so i added some cold water to each pot and Im now waiting to see if they will bounce back... so my question is , What are the chances my peppers will survive this hour long heat trauma? Are they hardy enough to withstand extreme temperatures for short periods of time? Im worried i might lose all but 1

o

I would not worry yet. I have done a similar thing here in Manitoba growing indoors this spring in a greenhouse. I had my small plants all wilt due to the sun, which heated the inside of my greenhouse. And the zipper was also closed which aided in the heat. I realized this after coming home from work, so I opened the door that evening and by morning they were all looking at me saying it was alright after I apologized to them all for making a mistake. You should see them now....

I am not sure on condition, but I would have refrained from the water unless the soil was completely dry. Just my .02

o

Hi guys! Could somebody do me a favour please? Could somebody send me a fresh carolina reaper pepper? I really want to try one and I can't find any shop where I could buy it and I'm a terrible gardener :) In exchange I will send you some money ;) or if its there somebody from Manchester we can meet..

This post was edited by Mark2123 on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 20:38

o

This is my little reaper. Doing much better than earlier in the season. Posted my trauma earlier. Bought from Chili Peppers.com. I'm being patient and thinking of overwintering.

o

Hi, as a 1st time chilli grower from north Scotland, here is my first pod from my reaper. My plants were grown from seeds planted in January and have sat on a sunny west facing window sill which gets great afternoon summer sun. Of my 2 reaper plants, none of my pods are showing the tails shown in others pictures. They were quick to germinate and they are in close proximity to scotch bonnets which flowered around the same time. Do any of you reckon I have SB/reaper crosses? Many thanks.
Dave.

o

No. Crosses don't work that way. They show up in the *next* generation.

Carolina Reaper isn't stable so a given plant grown from "Reaper" seed may produce pods that one wouldn't recognize as Reaper. Enjoy them as you may, but don't use the seeds. Use seeds only from plants that produce true Reaper pods.

Dennis

P.S. If PJ won't stabilize his strain, then we have to help him.

o

Can anyone send me a few pods id love to try some and ill pay if nessacery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here