scgreenthumb1987

Hey DMForcier

scgreenthumb1987
10 years ago

Hey ya go. St Peter as you've been asking

Comments (45)

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

I have 2 going too, maybe a little bit bigger than those since I started seeds in Dec, potted next to Peter peppers for comparion. So far so good. Will take pictures as they get bigger.

Ron

• peppers_galore
    10 years ago

I have one here also. Mine is still pretty small but putting on its second set of leaves. They were difficult to start. I started maybe 10 seeds. 3 germinated and two of those had terminal helmet head.

I read the original post on these and I am very happy to have one. Looks like a pretty nice pepper. I am wondering what kind of heat we are looking at with these.

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Here is my picture of a Saint Peter. Id say it is a around 6" so far. The smaller one is behind it since it popped up later. Both are doing well so far.

The Red Peter on the left (not pictured here) is a little bit bigger. Leaves look the same. Seeds popped at the same time.
    St Peters are harder to germinate.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 21:21

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am growing Bishop's Crown, :)

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

St. Peter is pretty warm - I'd say in the habanero range.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Anyone get one of these to grow to production size?

Dennis

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've got at least 3. My garden was flooded thus losing all Id tags. I'll be in contact for Id reasons

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Yes Sir. Lots of flowers. Waiting on the pods any day now.

My other one is still small. I do not know what happened to that one. Its flowering and bushy. Hopefully it will still grow up with all this heat were having in CA.

Ron.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 21:51

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

I have one as well. Ill try to get a pic posted tomorrow. Don't think I have any pods yet but I should be pretty close.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Ron, St. Peter was much bigger than the normal peters. (I mean the plant, o dirty-minded reader!) Perhaps your second one is reverting to its parent's form. It will be very interesting to see what pods the little one produces.

Thanks, all, for the update. Mama died when Alabama froze over so I do hope some of these come true. (I do still have a stock of seeds, though.)

Dennis

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

DM, as soon as the pods form, I will post a picture. If there is seeds, I can resend you some so you can continue your experiment with Year 3 version.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 13:06

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

St Peter. No pods yet but should be soon. I do have some Peters that have pods though. Mine is looking quite a bit different than the other one posted here. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

1st pod of Saint Peter on the small bush. The larger bush has yet to produce.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Is that a pod to the lower right? Looks about right but let's not judge based on the first pod.

Thanks,
    Dennis

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Yes, lower right. Left side are closed flowers.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

look right?

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Looks right to me, though the long one is a little longer than I remember. The small one is a dead ringer for the smaller late-season pods.

The real test will be the odor when you open them up. Should smell of a certain flower petal...

Thanks!
    Dennis

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As soon as one turns I'll open one up. What kind of heat level should I expect?

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Not too hot. Somewhere around serrano IIRC.

Dennis

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Those do not look like my small plant pod. Mine has more folds, not as smooth.

Lets see how it gets as it gets bigger.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 22:29

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Has anyone had any turn color yet? I've been harvest a bunch of every species in my garden except for the st. Peter. No color at all yet.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

No color yet, but my bigger bush as a few good size pods.

The small pod looks stunted and has not grown any bigger then the last picture shown.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

The larger St. Peter changing color. It seems to be a Orange color? Not sure if it will eventually change to red.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

The smaller bush has 1 pod starting to turn red.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

No, they're not red but a deep orange.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Um... mine are red as well

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Well then. Looks like 1 bush grew true and the other reverted to red. The smaller bush is a dark red.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Have you opened one yet?

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Not yet. I will wait for it to get totally ripe then I can pull seeds and try it out.

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Here is a shot of a couple that I picked today. Quite different from the rest of them that I see here.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Wow! Very strange indeed. Like they were trying to revert to peter and got confused - the one confused about gender as well.

Let us know what's inside.

Dennis

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Here is mine after it finishing ripening. It went from orange to red, but looks nothing like peppersgalore chili. Hoping to cut them open later tonight or tomorrow.

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Here is a shot of the bigger one. The smell is quite different. It does not have the harsh intense heat smell. Tried a little bit. For the first half second there was no heat and then there was a pretty good sting on the side o the tongue and cheeks.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

So here is mine cut. I had to cut it in a few spots to get it to open since it was curled. Only a few seeds but I will save them if you want or for anyone else that wants some. I have a few more pods that are ripening.

So it has intense smell of capsicum, taste wise- a little bit of a fruity taste but very very mild. Good heat hits quickly in the back of the throat, tongue and lips (no cheeks) and lasts for a good 10 minutes.

Overall, not a bad chili.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 0:56

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Peppers,

I like the twisted look on yours. How was the taste? Fruity or just heat.

Ron

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

I just tried another piece. There is a hint of sweetness similar to a red bell pepper. I think the smaller one was more ripe and did have more sweetness so I'll have to leave them to ripen to a darker red. The heat seems to be somewhere slightly below a hab. It does have a pretty good lip burn as well.

Here is a shot of the plant from last week. Sorry its a cell phone photo. You can see several pods on it with a similar shape.

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

I did and will continue to save seeds in case anyone wants any. I have three that I am trying to germinate now to test for viability.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

No flower smell on first opening? That's too bad. It was the trait that I hoped would propagate. The heat was never very high - somewhat consistent with peter: ballpark around 60k SHU.

Yes, please save the seeds. Even if you don't want to grow them I would like them back to continue the experiment in future years.

RonnyB's pods are very similar to the original, but they stayed more orange than red.

p_galore, that's a really good looking pod (my taste buds speaking).

Dennis

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Sure DM. Saving seeds for ya. Shoot me an email with your address and I will send them to you when I get enough. I don't plan to grow those again next year. Only have so much room to go around.

PG... I wouldn't mind getting seeds. Those are an interesting cross. You could call it a "Twisted Peter" or something to that affect. I will shoot you an email.

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

A shot of a few more St Peters.

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

You can really see it trying to revert to Peter in this one. I waiting on an email if you guys want seeds. No germination yet, but I'm not worried yet. The original was pretty difficult to germinate.

DMF- I should be able to send you a few fresh ones if you would like. That way you can compare them to the originals and let us know how it compares. If you like it I could clone a few and over-winter them, or at least attempt it.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

PG.... email sent.

DM... here is a pic of 2 more turning.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 20:31

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

The seeds are viable. 1/3 so far in 5 days.

Ronny - I never did get an email. I'll shoot you one in a few minutes.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

PG.. I got your email. I sent one back.

Ron.

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Got it. Thanks

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists