Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thegtea

Chillie plant not growing new leaves

TheGTea
10 years ago

Hi there,
I hope someone could help me. I have a chilli plant and it was doing very well up to a point.
A couple of weeks ago my plant has stopped growing new leaves and everything seems to be wilting and leaves are falling off. Its in my office and there is plenty of light and the room is always warm.
There was 2 chillies on it and I've taken them off, because someone mentioned previously to do that so the plant some more time growing instead of trying to ripen the fruit.

Hope someone can help I have attached a pic.

Comments (13)

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

More information could help. What kind of chili is it? What direction does your window face? How often do you water? Have fertilized much?

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

I can't tell from the picture but it looks like you have 3-4 plants in one pot. If that's the case then your plants probably battled it out to the death. Pepper plants need they're own space and room to consume nutrients and grow. If they grow together they will steal from one another and then become weak in time

• TheGTea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the pot, its the one plant it just stems out different directions from the centre.
    The window faces West. I water once to twice a week. A few weeks ago I changed my plant food (that could be it).

• TheGTea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another Picture, not sure what type of chilli plant it is

• TheGTea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

these are the type of chillis that it has been growing

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Don't know why. But that container is way too shallow. I'd be hard pressed to even try lettuce in it. Also sounds like overwatering for an indoor plant.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:30

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Yep. My reaction too.

Please detail with what and how you are fertilizing.

Dennis

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

My suggestion is total repotting in a new container. New soil, and stay away from the ferts for a while. Also, ensure you are not over watering. Container should be about as high as it is wide at the top..
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I agree with these guys. The mix looks too wet.
    Re-pot, give it light, fertilizer in a week or two, and hope it recovers.

Josh

• TheGTea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I will repot. Also a friend mentioned introducing worms into the soil. One or two (even though they would probably reproduce). Thoughts?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

No worms in the soil. Save that for outdoors. Worms will actually compromise the integrity of soil in a container, whereas they aerate soils in-ground.

Secondly, I'd elevate that pot out of the drip-tray - you want the mix drying out in a timely fashion.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, just repot the poor thing. Don't try to get too fancy. Keep it simple while the guy is ailing. I agree also about the drip tray. If there is standing water in there, it is going to wick right back up into the soil and it will take forever to dry out. If you need to used a drip tray, make sure there is no standing water in it after you get done watering...maybe check it an hour after watering to make sure none drained in later. Or, as Josh says, elevate it some from the drip tray.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Let me drop another bomb:
    TOO MUCH water.
    I water my 4" seedling once a week AND they don't have a saucer to drink water back from it. With that size of pot watering TWICE a week (even once a week) sound too much water , to me.

Another thing: Is that an overwintered plant ? If so, often they shed their leaves when they cannot get enough light and/or temperatures are cooler.

As mentioned, although the pot has enough volume but is is shallow in depth.