Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drew51_gw

What's your favorite pepper to make paprika?

Just curious what people use? Many paprika types out there.

Comments (24)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I personally like the ripe Hungarian Wax pepper.

Josh

• chilemilio
    10 years ago

I like using powder from dried Fresnos in place of paprika in a lot of our foods (either from the dehumidifier or the oven). Started smoking them recently, and i'm further sold. They aren't that spicy, but have a nice flavor and are good for cutting super hots.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I like leutschauer, but there's a lot of paprika varieties out there, I grow regular old Hungarian Paprika and Leutschauer, I prefer the Leutschauer. I'd like to try Kalocsai. Szegedi, Boldog, Feher Ozon, and Cyklon.
    Pam

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much for the info. Awesome! All I have growing is Leutschaur. I'll definitely take note of all mentioned. Next season I expect to get some seed from some growers in Europe via a another grower in Mexico. I'll know more at the end of the season. Apparently some very good paprika types. I don't know the names at the moment.

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Ive grown Boldog and made my own paprika for several years, Once you make your own, store bought suddenly becomes trash worthy. They also smoke well. Try a variety, you'll never look at the stale stuff in the store the same. Most excellent project Good Luck .

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a smoker, so may try smoking too.

• chilemilio
    10 years ago

How different is using a paprika type compared to other dried peppers? I've never grown one

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds good to me! My seeds were purchased from Baker Creek this year.Will send email...

• boids
    10 years ago

I'm looking at growing some paprika pepper this year , how are the ones pepper joe offers for sale

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

CRAP! Am I too Late Rick? I was busy potting up plants yesterday and didn't get on line! I just checked and have tons of Leutschauer. If it's too late I understand. ;-(
    Pam

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Kuvaszlvr, probably for zone 6 it is not to late.Probably your LFD is 8 weeks away.

Anyway, I am growing Hungarian HW and Fresno. Good to know that they make Paprika -like powder. After reading some not so favorable review in Alma Paprika, I didn't want to grow it: The reason: POOR production.

• Gertrude1
    10 years ago

Does anyone want to trade my Bhut Jolaki (aka ghost) for your favorite paprika pepper?

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

haha, no seysonn, that's not what I meant (I've actually started seeds in July here ;-)). I was meaning that Drew had already responded, I wouldn't think Rick would want to do the same trade 2x.
    Pam

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have not heard from Rick? No biggy, I have too many peppers already started. I'm concentrating on starting tomatoes in about a week.

• rdback
    10 years ago

Sorry guys, I should swing in a little more frequently I guess lol.

Not too late Pam *smile*. After all, the offer was to you AND Drew. Just send your info.

Drew, your seeds went out yesterday - you should receive them Mon/Tue hopefully.

Rick

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick awesome! I guess I'll have to seed them with the tomatoes, not a problem! I just bought ten 15 gallon grow bags, one 20 gallon, and one 30 gallon (yikes!)

I never used them before. I grow in raised beds, and pots, but I running out of room, and money, so the cheaper grow bags fit the bill.
    Rick send address if you want the seeds, or I'll get it off the package.

And Gertrude, if you want 5 seeds of Leutschauer pepper, just email me your address. I don't want anything in return.
    I will be out of seeds after that though, so sorry no more trades.. i need to keep 5 for myself for backup. Leutschauer pepper seems to be a favorite for paprika.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Wow Thanks Rick, that is very generous of you.

Drew, someone once told me to buy the thick landscape fabric and make your own grow bags. You call them cheap, but I have yet to find what I consider "cheap" grow bags. I think the landscape fabric idea is pretty good.

Pam

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I paid $3.60 a piece for 15 gallon bags at Greenhouse Megastore (if you buy 10). Well 3-4 year root pouches. Another user said they are decent. (grey bags in photo-not my photo, from Jay)

Here is a link that might be useful: Root pouch

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 14:21

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have bought some smaller fabric shopping bags from Fred Myers.Walmart, I have heard, has much bigger ones like for 50 cents each. But What I bought probably can hold 4gal. of soil That is more than enough for most of my pepper plants.
    So my Fresnos, Hung.HW, Habs, ... are going to grow in pots ...4 more weeks, to plant out.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tend to give them a lot of room! I may put tomatoes in them, if too big. They seem to like more room, but I have seen them in smaller pots too.
    I have a cold frame and my peppers were outside one day already, it has to be about 40 degrees F out. It dropped below that again, so back in. Cold Frame gives me 20 degrees. When it's 60 out I need to vent it! Too hot!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 16:47

• vegpatch
    10 years ago

Seysonn

Your Walmart comment nudged me into thinking about the cloth shopping bags that available at most grocery stores...

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Vegpatch .... there are a lot of good info around. I learn everyday.

I consider them bags just one season use: No storage problem. @ 50 to 90 cents a bag, they are worth it. I do have some 3 - 4 gal. plastic pots to use as well. So this season is going to be a TEST SEASON on pots, on 5-1-1 and of course on the pepper varieties that I am growing for the first time. I am counting on HHW , Fresno and Bishop's Crown to make mild powder .

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Maybe too early yet but I would love to hear your feedback on the different paprika's that you guys are growing this year.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington