Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewlz2121

Please help, wilted peppers!

jewlz2121
11 years ago

Hi all. This is my first post, so thanks to anyone that can help with a response. This is my first time starting pepper from seed. There are different types of pepper seeds in the same tray, and I used Burpee pellets. I haven't used any fertilizer on them. I may have been guilty of overwatering. They were all healthy until a few days ago when I transplanted the tomato seedlings that were in the same tray. They have been on a heat mat until this morning (I thought I may have cooked them?) and they are getting about 14 hrs of fluorescent light per day. For some reason, I thought they were still too little to transplant, but by reading through posts, I think that was wrong. It started with just a few wilting, but now it's half the tray. Why? What should I do? Is there any way to save the wilted seedlings? Should I transplant them all to solo cups, even the limp ones? Should I use seed starting mix when I transplant or something else? Thanks again.

Comments (10)

• jewlz2121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another view

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

First, take them off the heat mat. That's for starting seeds, once they are up, a bit cooler for the roots is better. Second, since I'm not there to pick them up and look at them, I might be wrong, but it looks like they dried out too much. Or, did you jostle them a lot while potting up the tomatoes and damage their roots? Either way, a bit of water will help what can be helped, though some might not make it from the looks of it. Third, get them into some bigger pots, they need much more space for their roots. That small amount of space may be why they have dried out so fast. Cheers!

• jewlz2121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! Should I re-pot them using a seed starting mix? Or a potting soil? Should I fertilize? They don't seem dry, the leaves are not dry just damp and wilted.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Re-pot immediately! Hopefully you can salvage the remainder.
    You'll want a potting mix, not a potting soil. If you use potting mix, adding coarse Perlite will greatly improve the texture and level of moisture-retention.

Josh

• jewlz2121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm headed to the store to get potting mix then! Do I need to fertilize with something as well?

• clee22
    11 years ago

Have you tried some epsom salt?

• jewlz2121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't fertilized with anything, salt or otherwise. Not sure what to do at this point, other than to transplant.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

I wouldn't fertilize at all until they perk up. Physically moving them will cause stress, and you don't want to add more by a change in the chemical balance.

If it was the heat mat (I believe it was), you may have cooked the roots.

Good luck.

This post was edited by DMForcier on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 14:52

• jewlz2121
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Is there a chance they will perk up? The stem is nice and strong looking, just the leaves that are wilted. I'm thinking I cooked them. Grrr.

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Transplanting them, and getting them a little water may help. Were you keeping an eye on the temperature of the soil? But the only times mine have wilted is because I've let it get dry (which isn't bad.) I wouldn't throw chemicals to them as others have said.

All I've used is just some miracle gro potting soil with slow release nutrients and have had no problems at all and plants have seemed to love it. Doesn't take a lot! Hope they pull through for ya.

Sponsored