Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peps22

Anyone go from seedling tray to ground? No potting in between?

peps22
10 years ago

Subject line says it all. Each March 1 I plant 3 seeds in each of my 32 starter cells. After 2 weeks or so, I snip out the weakest two of each cell, leaving the strongest alone.

I have never "potted up" in the meantime, before putting them outside in mid-May. I just leave them in the starter cell until its time to go outside. The peppers really take off once that happens.

Do people think this is bad not doing the potting up? I just hate having to handle the seedlings and transplant more than I need to. Call it laziness.

Comments (11)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

All depends on the size of the cells. I plant annuums in those pony packs that you get seedlings in from the nurseries without potting up, sometimes.

Personally, it appears the chinenses prefer a pot up.

Kevin

• jtight
    10 years ago

Unless your growing midget peppers you will want to move them to another pot in between so as to not stunt growth. They take off, when planted in ground, b/c they are no longer restricted.

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

is it as simple as taking the entire plant and its block of soil from the seedling tray and moving it to a solo cup? The cell is 2" x 2" (32 cells fit in the tray).

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and jtight, I completely agree with what you're saying. Since they "take off" one way or the other once outside, is it really worth the extra step of re-potting in between?

• sjetski
    10 years ago

In my experience, If they become rootbound, they seem to take an extra week or two longer to "take off" once in ground. Certain types may be more or less affected by this, but i have observed it a bunch of different Chinenses. The one nursery tray that might be an exception are the nursery trays that root prune, i've had pretty good luck with them going from tray to ground. I also seem to have luck using aspirin water upon transplanting, the plants appear to take off right away (one 325mg genuine aspirin per gallon of water, a couple of tablespoons per plant),

38 Cell Nursery Tree Tubes:
    - http://growerssolution.com/PROD/38-star-nursey-tree-tube-deep-tray-case/59-51451

32 cell Speedling trays:
    - http://www.groworganic.com/speedling-transplant-tray-32-cell.html

Speedling tray Reviewed:
    - http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/4689/seed-starting-in-speedling-trays

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Star Nursery Tree Tube Deep Tray

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 16:14

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I've gone from the tray to the ground, but I only recommend it with the fast-growing varieties - such as Thai, Hungarian Wax, Hot Cherry, Jalapeno, et cetera.

Josh

• jtight
    10 years ago

Peps - yes on re-potting. Otherwise you are ess. restricting the growth of the plant. Once the plants get solid a/ are not flimsy (~2nd set of leaves) then transplant into a larger container (i.e., peat pot or large solo cups, etc.) This will allow them to increase root structure a/ allow plant to grow a/ solidfy itself prior to introduction w/ ground.

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. I'll do the solo cup switch around April 1. Is there anything I should do to untangle the roots when they're removed from the cell? Or just leave the roots alone and don't disturb them?

• benjoe
    10 years ago

I would make the assessment of whether or not to spread the roots only on if they were circling (try to untangle circling roots without breaking rootball apart) if there not circling theres not too much of a point to spread the root structure.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

I usually plant peppers in 72 cell trays and transplant straight into the high tunnels or outside after hardening off. Last year I tried to pot up peppers out of 98's to 72's I didn't notice a difference. They are always good producers, but I am also planting them out probably smaller than most. I don't have enough space to pot up 600-700 peppers into bigger pots.

Jay

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The answer to the main question, I think, is "yes, you can".
    But then why start them indoors, under light? I do that to have a heads tart and plant out a good sizable seedling. I have even started from seed in cold frame and directly in the garden, in the past ; Things like eggplants, tomatoes. But then I was gardening where I had a long growing season ( 7 to 8 months)

Sponsored
All Builders United
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Norfolk City, VA