Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Will sweet Bell peppers and hot peppers X

andyandy
11 years ago

has anyone heard (or gotten themselves) to succesfully hybidize sweet bell peppers with some sort of supper hot? maybe a Habanero or Ghost (something like that) I'm looking for a pepper that has both traits. the sweetness of a good orange, yellow or red bell pepper with some kick.

thanx,
Andy

Comments (13)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Andy: CHeck out the link below. It should give you the answer.
    Bruce

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Pollination Chart for Peppers

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the link, I know just like any other Veggies you wont see the hybrid until the next generation. i don't really know what the peppers by their scientific names.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

The hab and ghost is a chinsense and the bell is an annuum so yes they can cross according to the chart.
    Bruce

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

I'm wondering if it is like animals where you can get an offspring from two different species (seeds inside this season's fruit) that will mature (grow into a plant) but cannot reproduce (make viable seeds the next season)? Like when you cross a horse with a donkey you get a mule, but the mule can't bear any foals. That table is interesting.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ESO, thank you for the insight. I look forward to trying this summer.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Sunnibel: We think a lot alike. ;)

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: my query

This post was edited by woohooman on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 16:31

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Instead of going into the pepper-breeding game (a LOT of work), why not just look for a pepper that has what you want? There are a couple thousand varieties.

For instance, cubanelle might do what you want. I use them in place of bells. (Not all that hot, though, if heat is really what you are looking for. Ghosts are pretty meaty themselves - why not try one?

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

The trait for "heat" is extremely dominate, fwiw.

While you might gain some of the characteristics of the sweet, and maybe increased pod size or wall thickness...it's still a crap shoot favoring the "heat" characteristic.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I think nc-cm is probably right about the heat trait. However, I cannot imagine trying to cross a super hot with a sweet pepper and hoping for anything less. But then, that is all the fun of crossing peppers. Finding out exactly what you get.
    Bruce

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Woohooman, How did I ever miss that thread back then? :) I was looking over that chart thinking that either you wouldn't get a second generation out of most of those crosses, or that the "sporadic" sucess was likely due to some amount of self-pollination in those cross-species mixes.

• rdback
    11 years ago

andyandy said: " I'm looking for a pepper that has both traits. the sweetness of a good orange, yellow or red bell pepper with some kick."

Manzano/Rocoto might fit the bill.

andyandy said: " I look forward to trying this summer."

For a little "how-to", check out the link below.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Fatalii.net Breeding how-to

• brien_nz
    11 years ago

How about chopping a sweet pepper that you like and sprinkling with hot pepper powder? You could experiment with quantities and varieties and marinating times etc.
    Brien

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

andyandy:

How much heat? Actually, there are many mildly, hot peppers that are sweet if you let them ripen to final color. Jalapeno, serrano, poblano, pasilla, and anaheims to name a few.

Hell! Even the Nagas I grew last summer were real sweet. Of course, the focus on flavor went out the door about 30 seconds later...LOL

Sunnibel: Yeah. I was just hoping to isolate seed easier. Plant a chinense next to an annuum without the need for netting blooms. Oh well...learn something new every day.

Kevin

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz