Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bird pepper plants from seed, tips?

Posted by abacoian (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 08 at 10:16

I haven't had any success germinating any yet? I planted them in potting soil and put them outside. Should the temperature be warm for best results? I'm in Florida so it's usually warm but some nights this winter have been chilly.

And I read that if I do get a tree I should plant it in partail shade, would it be the same for germination or should I leave it in the sun until it propogates?

And does this type of seed need alot of water or just a few times a week?

I greatly appreciate your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bird pepper plants from seed, tips?

I would germinate them inside and keep them warm.

o

Tepines?
Tuff plant to get to sprout, I've had best luck just forgetting about them and keep them with the rest of the plants while watering. After a month you might see some thing, or try the tea solution. Maybe some of those brain guys can chime in on this, but I think Tepines are one of those seeds that like to go through a birds digestive system to sprout?

o

Tepins germinate in about the same time and at about the same rate as any other chile seed. Give them bottom heat at 80-85F.

o

i've had mine on a heating pad 1 week,no result...but my thais,naga jolokia,and thanks to pepper rancher my lemon drops are off to the races!

o

Last year, I had "Wild Bird" seed from Fiedlermeister. I was out of room in the trays and just put 6 seeds in a small plastic container. I don't remember if I soaked 'em or not. I did get one very healthy plant, over 2' tall, with loads of tiny tasty hot peppers.

I recommend germinating inside on a heat mat.

I still have 8 seeds left, will share half (4) if you want em. email me @ kj5kb@hotmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here