Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chad5_gw

Chad5 Peppers 2014

Chad5
10 years ago

Started seeds on Feb. 15. I did an experiment using seeds in two diffrent starting mixes. In one mix I used screened fir bark, perelite, and turface. The other mix is a pete based mix with additional perelite.

Comments (58)

• Chad5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Things are moving along, still have another month inside. Gonna start hardening off plants in about two weeks. Just started bells and faster growing peppers last week.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The black pearl with more green leaves grew faster than the darker one and has already started to flower. Maybe a hybrid?

• Chad5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Top view.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some more hots.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Black pearls, a lot of variation between the two. The pepper on the far left is taller and flowering, while the darker one 3 in on bottom row is darker and more compact.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Nice! Some of the spunkiest plants I've seen. In the pic above, what is the one bottom R with the purple cast to the leaves?

Dennis

• Chad5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DMF, That is the black pearl that has been purple since germination. The one on the top left had green leaves after germination and I wanted to compare them as they grow up so I kept both. They have been in the exact same conditions from day one, the taller green one only has a purple hue to it and a totally diffrent growth habit. It has nice white and purple flowers though!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Coming along really well, Chad!
    I have four Black Pearls growing - two with the classic purple leaves, and two that are green. The green, of course, are much larger and faster growing. I look forward to seeing if mine are hybrid, as well :-)

Josh

• peps22
    10 years ago

Can you guys tell me what you did to adjust the shop light chains?

I bought two standard shop lights from Home Depot, but they are about 2-3" too short to where I went them to be. Do they sell chains that are longer?

• Chad5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They have rolls of chain that they cut to length for you at the depot. I just put hooks on the ends that I hook the links with. It is hung from the rafters through an eye hook. I think mine are around six feet long. Easy enough to adjust, just don't let go or thats a wrap!

• peps22
    10 years ago

Ok, thanks chad. I did a quick google search, and i was seeing 6 foot chains for $40, which seemed ridiculous to me. I'm guessing your way is cheaper.

• stoneys_fatali
    10 years ago

Nice looking plants :-)

Dave

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Black pearl

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trinidad scorpion

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brown scorpion

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caribbean red

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chocolate bhut finally putting out some pods

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hungarian hot wax

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Red manzano has a ton of pods. The orange manzano only has one.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aji limon

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Main garden

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side bed shot.

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Your plants look very healthy. I'm not sure exactly where you are located, but you must have a favorable climate. Those healthy plants will be cranking out more pods than you can handle very soon.

Tim

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tim, things are finally starting to get some color around here. With exceptions such as Choc. ghost which just started setting pods and my red ghost (which I snapped in half) has recovered after two months of being zip tied. Things are about to be in full swing and I can't wait to start harvesting. I should be able to pull a few pods this evening.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caribbean red

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trinidad scorpion

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First pull of super hots this year. Not much but enough for some skewered jerk chicken tonight. Mostly Caribbean reds and two Trinidad scorpions. Plants are really loading up with pods now!

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bishops crown was the last plant to set fruit although it is one of the largest.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not a hot pepper but sweet chocolate showing some color.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The seeds I used to start this plant were labeled Hungarian hot wax however these pods do not remain upright. I have not tasted one yet any thoughts on what it is?

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chiero Recife.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chihuala negro

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Very nice indeed,

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the sideways pics, i cant remember what way to hold the darn phone. Red manzano is starting to show some color as well. Can not wait to taste that one! We have been having some great weather here in central NJ, hope it continues as it has really helped the tomatoes and peppers in the last few weeks.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chiero recife

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bishops crown

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sweet choc. Ready to pick.

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Things are really looking good. I like the look of those sweet chocolate pods. Let me know how they taste. If they are good, I'll be interested in trading.

Tim

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stuffed some jalapeños with bacon and cheddar cheese. Turned out real good. Sweet chocolate were stuffed with sausage cheese onion garlic eggplant and zucchini from the garden. Gotta love summer.

• Orekoc
    9 years ago

Hey I saw a recipe for stuffed jalapeños wrapped in bacon and then smoked for a couple of hours till the chorizo sausage and cheese they were stuff with was done. They looked yummy. Do a search for Gary Wiviott and or Dragon Turds or ADT, Atomic ones.

Yes, I don't like the name.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Small harvest of red manzano, Caribbean reds, paprika, and ahi limon. Made a delicious salsa.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some Trinidad scorpions in various color stages.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Red bhuts will be ready for some sauce shortly.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Woowee! Them chilluns sure growed up big and strong!

Nice pepper patch!

Dennis

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My one and only ripe orange manzano. The plant is huge and healthy just did not set alot of pods. I think these cooler nights may have triggered something in the plant as it appears to be setting a few that are not dropping.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aji limon

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chocolate bhuts near harvest time.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some red manzanos.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My new dehydrator has been running like a charm. Dried about six freezer bags worth so far and have a lot more ready to be picked.

• Chad5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some ghosts.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH