Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chad5 Peppers 2014

Posted by Chad5 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 11:09

Started seeds on Feb. 15. I did an experiment using seeds in two diffrent starting mixes. In one mix I used screened fir bark, perelite, and turface. The other mix is a pete based mix with additional perelite.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chad5 Peppers 2014

Most seeds geminated in 5 to 10 days. Caribbean Reds were first and Chocolate Ghosts last.

o

Most of the seedlings did better in the pete based mix, I think the forced air heat dried out the gritty mix to fast and slowed germination. Even watering once a day did not help. I'm gonna stick with my soil mix from now on.

o

So far, so good. I hit them with a fan for a few hours a day and keep the lights close to the tops of the leaves.

o

One more pick taken earlier today.

o

That's a bummer....the bark mix usually works so well for me.
I don't have a heating mat, however, so I wonder if my mix would
dry out much more quickly if using a mat. That is something that
I'll have to anticipate when I begin using bottom-heat.

Josh

o

Peppers looking good! I had some success with diatomaceous earth, but still prefer the soil mixes myself! Your set up looks nice and neat, I have dirt everywhere argh!
Not sure it it is true, but heard roots do not like light, so using solid cups might be better. Time for another experiment!
Here are some of my peppers from 3 different starts, so at various stages of growth. I'm using peat pots, I like to see how wet they are. I make my own soil mix, but being early in the year, and freezing outside I didn't make any up yet, so used Happy Frog potting soil. When ready for outside they will go into a custom mix.
Right now I have them under a 2 foot T5 double light. I'm about to move them to the T5 VHO 4 foot quad light. I'll start my tomatoes here any second now.

o

Drew: I can't see artificial light harming the roots in clear cups, but I do think that once one starts hardening off, clear plastic would act like a magnifying glass and cook the roots in the full sun.

Good progress guys!

Kevin

o

Josh, I removed the seeds started in the crunchy mix from the heat mat when they began to germinate. (the same time I removed the plastic wrap). We have had an awful winter here in New Jersey and the heat has been running nonstop. I think the dryness of the air in our house was the issue with the mix dehydrating so fast. I love the mix for large containers though!
Drew, Kevin, I am just using the plastic cups to watch root development while they are inside. I will prolly pot up into small containers a bit before I begin the hardening off process. I still have two months till plant out date...Ouch!

Just an FYI, alot of the peppers I'm growing this year are donated from forum members and I had almost 100% germination in the soil mix....so I tip my cap to you all for the quality seeds!

Peace, Chad

o

Things are moving along, still have another month inside. Gonna start hardening off plants in about two weeks. Just started bells and faster growing peppers last week.

o

The black pearl with more green leaves grew faster than the darker one and has already started to flower. Maybe a hybrid?

o

Top view.

o

Some more hots.

o

Black pearls, a lot of variation between the two. The pepper on the far left is taller and flowering, while the darker one 3 in on bottom row is darker and more compact.

o

Nice! Some of the spunkiest plants I've seen. In the pic above, what is the one bottom R with the purple cast to the leaves?

Dennis

o

DMF, That is the black pearl that has been purple since germination. The one on the top left had green leaves after germination and I wanted to compare them as they grow up so I kept both. They have been in the exact same conditions from day one, the taller green one only has a purple hue to it and a totally diffrent growth habit. It has nice white and purple flowers though!

o

Coming along really well, Chad!
I have four Black Pearls growing - two with the classic purple leaves, and two that are green. The green, of course, are much larger and faster growing. I look forward to seeing if mine are hybrid, as well :-)

Josh

o

Can you guys tell me what you did to adjust the shop light chains?

I bought two standard shop lights from Home Depot, but they are about 2-3" too short to where I went them to be. Do they sell chains that are longer?

o

They have rolls of chain that they cut to length for you at the depot. I just put hooks on the ends that I hook the links with. It is hung from the rafters through an eye hook. I think mine are around six feet long. Easy enough to adjust, just don't let go or thats a wrap!

o

Ok, thanks chad. I did a quick google search, and i was seeing 6 foot chains for $40, which seemed ridiculous to me. I'm guessing your way is cheaper.

o

Nice looking plants :-)

Dave

o

Black pearl

o

Trinidad scorpion

o

Brown scorpion

o

Caribbean red

o

Chocolate bhut finally putting out some pods

o

Hungarian hot wax

o

Red manzano has a ton of pods. The orange manzano only has one.

o

Aji limon

o

Main garden

o

Side bed shot.

o

Your plants look very healthy. I'm not sure exactly where you are located, but you must have a favorable climate. Those healthy plants will be cranking out more pods than you can handle very soon.

Tim

o

Thanks Tim, things are finally starting to get some color around here. With exceptions such as Choc. ghost which just started setting pods and my red ghost (which I snapped in half) has recovered after two months of being zip tied. Things are about to be in full swing and I can't wait to start harvesting. I should be able to pull a few pods this evening.

o

Caribbean red

o

Trinidad scorpion

o

First pull of super hots this year. Not much but enough for some skewered jerk chicken tonight. Mostly Caribbean reds and two Trinidad scorpions. Plants are really loading up with pods now!

o

Bishops crown was the last plant to set fruit although it is one of the largest.

o

Not a hot pepper but sweet chocolate showing some color.

o

The seeds I used to start this plant were labeled Hungarian hot wax however these pods do not remain upright. I have not tasted one yet any thoughts on what it is?

o

Chiero Recife.

o

Chihuala negro

o

Very nice indeed,

o

Sorry for the sideways pics, i cant remember what way to hold the darn phone. Red manzano is starting to show some color as well. Can not wait to taste that one! We have been having some great weather here in central NJ, hope it continues as it has really helped the tomatoes and peppers in the last few weeks.

o

Chiero recife

o

Bishops crown

o

Sweet choc. Ready to pick.

o

Things are really looking good. I like the look of those sweet chocolate pods. Let me know how they taste. If they are good, I'll be interested in trading.

Tim

o

Stuffed some jalapeños with bacon and cheddar cheese. Turned out real good. Sweet chocolate were stuffed with sausage cheese onion garlic eggplant and zucchini from the garden. Gotta love summer.

o

• Posted by Orekoc 7 Willamette Valley (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 23:11

Hey I saw a recipe for stuffed jalapeños wrapped in bacon and then smoked for a couple of hours till the chorizo sausage and cheese they were stuff with was done. They looked yummy. Do a search for Gary Wiviott and or Dragon Turds or ADT, Atomic ones.

Yes, I don't like the name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here