Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proud LED user

Posted by MorugaMan 4 (mrhaglund21@gmail.com) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:50

I just wanted to posts this to show people that LED lighting works and works well. I have been using a blackstar LED panel that says it's 240w blue red and white diodes. I was told it only puts out half of what it's said to be but either way it has givin me success. Here is one of my plants after 4 months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proud LED user

Do you mind saying where and how much you paid for your lighting? I'm interested in anything that works. Thanks for sharing the info.

Tim

o

If it works for you, that is all it counts. Never mind what others say.

How many seedling are you/have been growing unde 240w power ?
My 48" -T8 with 2 x 32w (=64w) can accommodate 20 small pots of about 4-5" diameter.
Like Tim, I am also interested in something that works and is COST EFFECTIVE.

o

I spent $270 for the light and you could grow probably 6 plants to maturity. Honestly I would never pay this much for an LED ever again just because I could do just as much on a cheaper budget but I have gotten amazing results. I would recommend using this with hydropinics!

o

Another pic

o

Another

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 20:07

Yah, seems LED's work good for grow lights. However, they are mostly still cost prohibitive up front. I expect that in the coming years, we will be able to buy they much cheaper. The electricity cost per lumen should be much lower than most other forms of lighting.
Bruce

o

LEDS work great AND ARE cost effective IF you make your own.
I see most of the internet info as being B.S. in general.
Sales crap or stuff that pertains to other plants(POT) not peppers.
Peppers grow from seed for me to maturity IF given light from 5000k - 6500k with fluoros.
Other plants NEED specific light needs,like orchids and pot.
Peppers DON'T need the stuff vendors say you need to grow plants.

I have great success with Blue in 44onm to 480nm and red from 625nm - 675nm.

Actually,IF you want to make your own,LEDs are pretty cheap,so are drivers etc.

I've been seeing a LOT of growers using high watt,6500k led spots with great success.

I personally have been using red and blue 1 watt Leds for several years.
They are equal to Fluoros but put out the wavelengths plants like= more better...Last a lot longer than Fluoros too.
I have a grow area that has a heat problem-no ventilation.
LEDS are cooler than T 8's I replaced my t12's with.
T 8's suck.
Lower Lumens and a crap selection of K.
I need 5000k-6500k at at least 3000lm. for my shelves.

I flood my grow shelves with tons more USABLE light using my LEDS.

I gave away a plant that filled a Scion that I called my kitchen plant.
It was grown under LEDS mostly.
The window has a film on it.
Plants WILL not grow on the shelf without help...

Kitchen plant.

[URL=http://s403.photobucket.com/user/smoemaster_2007/media/2012 pics/IM004937-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/2012 pics/IM004937-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s403.photobucket.com/user/smoemaster_2007/media/2012 pics/IM004937.jpg.html][IMG]http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/2012 pics/IM004937.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

A combination of 1 watt stars and 1 wat or less LEDs are what I use.

I go by what works for my grow.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pRZO1nNwAQFBbcbpYRDaS6R29V1JXaAsA0SsRI0hGM8/edit.

o

I am starting to experiment with solar energy storage for use at night. I have a deep cell battery and the other gear ready to set up as soon as the temperatures start to moderate -we're still mostly below freezing up here.

So, do I gather that LEDs are just as good as any other lighting? This might work well for me since I am trying to find devices that run on low wattage.

o

I'm no expert on making L.E.D. Lights but they are very cost efficient and they do not produce as much heat as other so yes they are awesome but for the right price

o

i'm testing a DIY led setup atm. Looking for lower watts, better PAR, less heat than the t5's i have. Here's a pic. I'm not quite ready to post specs / build thread until i'm sure that the light actuall works lol. But it costs me ~25 dollars to make one for 2x2x2 area.

o

Compare your electric bill to LED vrs. florescent , from what I understand LEDs save enough to pay for themselves in energy savings in a year. I could be wrong but that's what I understand .Would love some feedback on this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here