Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caudex1

Kimchi

caudex1
12 years ago

A few more days fermenting and time to enjoy. Not traditional but close enough for me. This batch is going to like fire as it is made with red habanero flakes

Comments (33)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Caudex1:
    can you please post the detailed instructions on how to make Kimchi?
    Please?
    Bruce

• Oystereater
    12 years ago

I second that motion!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

And what is that thing on top....a mini still?

Bruce

• tsheets
    12 years ago

The thing on top is an airlock. It will let the fermentation gasses escape, but, keep fresh outside air (and the associated mold / bacteria) out.

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

It's called a Fermentation lock.
    I use it when I make beer and wine.
    They come in a few different styles.

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Yeah, basically when the fermentation gas pressure gets high enough, it forces a bubble up through the water, while the U joint prevents airflow in the opposite direction.

Essentially the same thing thats used in toilets to prevent sewer gas from coming back up the pipes.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Oh, a sewer trap. Gotcha. LOL
    And someone was just making fun of me growing peppers on top of my septic system.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Are those things required to make Kimchee?
    Bruce

• robeb
    12 years ago

So that's why kimchi has that smell.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yah, rotten cabbage. :)

Bruce

• caudex1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Recipe is pretty basic

1/2 head napa cabbage chopped 1in squares
    1/3c red hab flakes
    1tbsp kosher salt
    2cloves minced garlic
    1tsp sugar

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl then transfer to 32oz ball jar. Pack firmly into jar to remove air pockets. Ferment for 4-7days. Sunday will be 7days and the taste test.

The airlock and grommets I got off ebay, plastic lid from the hardware store. The airless environment is supposed to ferment faster. The thing I like most is no mold, so no lose of precious cargo. I did a comparison making kraut, one with an airlock one w/o. After 14 days there was a significant amount of mold on the jar w/o the lock. Also the locked jar had better flavor

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

caudex1:
    isn't there some kind of liquid in that mix. Water or vinegar???

Bruce

• caudex1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Only moisture is leached from the cabbage due to the salt. The more salt you add the more liquid there is and cabbage will be more wilted. Less salt less liquid and firm cabbage

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Awesome! Great to see you here again, Caudex ;-)

Were those home-grown Habanero flakes?

Josh

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

OMG

My mother in law and neighbor are both Korean and they both make KimChee.

Wife n I had some last night and were just talking about needing to make up a batch.

We both agreed that it's still not too late to get some cabbage seeds in the dirt.

• romy6
    12 years ago

I have heard you can also bury it in the dirt if you don't have a airlock system!

The smell of that stuff is pretty dreadful but it is supposed to be one of the healthiest things you can eat.

• t-bird
    12 years ago

caudex - not to interfer, but thought I would add my 2 cents if any are interested.

I always add spring onions, ginger, and radish (daikon), or not depending on what is available.

My understanding is that fish sauce or sometimes seafood is traditional, but being vegan, I sprinkle in some dulse flakes for that flavor.

I also do a "preliminary step" of after shredding/chopping hard veggies (radish), lace with loads of salt, and into the leaves of the cabbage (could prechop that too, but I don't) and then work around the kitchen getting together the seasonings, containers, etc. cleaning up a bit. Then rinse the veggies to get rid of the too much salt - but they are limp and wilted and pack very easy.

I don't have an airlock, but pack into a large glass jar - similar to yours, and then put a ziplock baggie on top and fill with water to push down the veg.

I only let it ferment for 36-48 hours on the counter, then let it develop more slowly in the fridge over a week or two.

I like to taste it daily, its fun to see how the flavor changes over time.....

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Bruce...I will eat your septic peppers any day.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

LOL. I may must put a couple containers out there on top of the septic....
    But that soil should be good out there....poop peppers.
    Bruce

• caudex1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh,
    Chili flakes I got online. I'll grow my own this year.

Fermentation ends today! Taste's damn good but it is efin HOT!!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Dang, that looks tasty!

A little sticky rice, a dab of sweet chile paste, then top with kimchi....delicious.

Josh

• t-bird
    12 years ago

looks yummy!

I just this weekend put seeds out for the chinese cabbage and daikon!

Hopefully my peppers produce a little something something to go along with those in about 30-50 days.....i's got flowers.....so hoping!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

OK, Caudex1, I have 1.5 pints of this stuff jarred up right now. I used Cayenne powder for the pepper part...about 1/2 of what it called for in flakes. Wish me luck. I will report back in about 4 days. I also making another recipe that is quite a bit more involved.
    Wish me luck,
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

OK, I went up and took a photo. Here it is, 2 hours old.
    {{gwi:1154191}}
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Oh, and good thing my wife is the one who likes this stuff because the whole house, basement and all smells of fermenting cabbage.
    Bruce

• t-bird
    12 years ago

this is making me very hungry....I might have to buy some store supplies and make up a batch! Do my own later in the season!

• HornHoller
    12 years ago

Don't forget you can do this with cukes, too. :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

hahaha, I just ate a half pint jar for lunch today. Recipe was good and easy. I made two different recipes a week ago and this was the easier. I think I like the other one a little better but it was quite a bit more complicated. Cukes sounds good. I was wondering if regular head cabbage can be substituted. And the other recipe required daikon radish and was wondering if regular round red radishes could be used. Has anyone tried those ingredients instead of the tradition Asian variations?

One thing of note on Kimchi. I used ground up Cayenne powder in place of Habanero flakes. The stuff came out pretty mild to my taste. I am not a fire eater by any means. But my wife and parents couldn't even eat the stuff saying it was too hot. My wife is a native Texan and normally likes things much hotter than I do but it was too hot for her. It barely phased me. What gives? I have never eaten something that she said was too hot for her. Same for my parents. They liked it but could only eat a bite. I ate a whole jar and wasn't uncomfortable at all.
    Bruce

• User
    12 years ago

Too funny,

I was checking a website I visit now and then; tastespotting.com and a recipe for a Kimchi Reuben Sandwich was listed. Naturally, I thought of you folks doing the Kimchi thing. For what it's worth, here's the link: Kimchi Reuben Sandwich

Enjoy

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

I love a good Rueben. Now I gotta try this too.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Man, that sounds / looks amazing!!! Thanks for sharing that!

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

I love a good Rueben. Arby's claims they sell one, but trust me, its not a ruben. Its corned beef and mayo, couldn't even taste the blasted kraut.

Sponsored