Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

Fafard mix recommendation

kuvaszlvr
12 years ago

I really like the Fafard mixes, but there are so many variations, I was just looking to see if there was a specific one that you guys recommended for chile peppers?

Pam

Comments (14)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Pam,
    I am going with the 52 mix this year. I used other materials last year but wanted to get something that was a little less work this year. So technically I cannot personally vouch for it but if you search the forums, you will find that many recommend the Fafard 52 mix.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bruce. Funny, that is exactly what I ended up with this year, so far so good, I like it, but I just wanted to make sure that I made the right decision. they have so many different mixes, seems a bit excessive to me (have you seen their pdf of mixes, 7 pages full of variations).
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yes and many are very similar. Just slightly different ratios of same ingredients.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Fafard does provide some of the best bagged potting mixes.

Their Heavyweight line of mixes is what you want, and in particular these three:
    51L, 52, and/or the Nursery Mix. These mixes can also be stretched with additional Perlite
    and Bark, if one were so inclined.

You'll notice that these have the least peat moss and the most bark.

Josh

• naturemitch
    12 years ago

52 mix all the way. We love it!!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Hey, naturmitch, where are you at in Wisconsin...looks northern. I am down by the Dells and I am going to pot up with fafard52 this year. I had a heck of a time finding it but got it at a nursery down by Stevens Point. Where did you get yours.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Josh, that's good to hear. I think one of my favorite things about the Fafard, it's really reasonably priced where I buy it. The 2.8 cu ft is $20, compared to MG and Promix that's really cheap. And it's nice to know it is well respected too!
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Kuvaszlvr: I bought mine for $14.99 a 2.8cf bag. I thought I probably paid more than normal since it is so hard to come by around here. I am really looking forward to see how well it works this summer.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well.........that's just mean Bruce! My friend and I were so happy over what we thought was such a good price (compared to the other soils available around here it is) but sheesh, I want to live in WI! I don't think I will tell my friend the outrageous price you pay. ;-)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Sorry man. I just thought I was paying a lot because the place I got mine seems to be the only place within two hours drive that carries it. I am sorry that my good luck comes at your expense. I did have to drive 90 miles each way to get it and at almost $4.00 a gallon for gas, I am really paying more like $21 or $22 per bag. So you come out ahead after all. But we all win with our own personal stash of Fafard52 sitting in the garage.

Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A little too late Bruce, Damage has been done. ;-) 180 miles?... I don't think I'd be willing to do that. I hate having to drive 8 miles out of my way to the store that has it in town. ;-)
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yep, long ways. Now that I know where to get it, I will try to plan it in conjunction with another trip so that it isn't so bad. It was a nice day and I got my wife to ride along so it was fine though. Good luck with your fafard and peppers this summer.
    Bruce

• naturemitch
    12 years ago

Ahhh, my 52 mix junkies:)))) I am glad you got your haul Bruce! I was down to Point for a workshop a couple of weeks back and filled our Prius up with the mix. I asked the lady working there if you had made it down, I did not realize you were driving up from the Dells!

I live in Glidden, so Point is a 3-hr drive, but another workshop is coming up in May, and you can bet the 52 mix will be coming home with me again. I did find some of the mix closer to home, but they can't touch the price...something like $25. Ouch.

Good luck gang

• naturemitch
    12 years ago

Ahhh, my 52 mix junkies:)))) I am glad you got your haul Bruce! I was down to Point for a workshop a couple of weeks back and filled our Prius up with the mix. I asked the lady working there if you had made it down, I did not realize you were driving up from the Dells!

I live in Glidden, so Point is a 3-hr drive, but another workshop is coming up in May, and you can bet the 52 mix will be coming home with me again. I did find some of the mix closer to home, but they can't touch the price...something like $25. Ouch.

Good luck gang

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County