Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhelsdon

My First Flower(s)

Dhelsdon
11 years ago

Hi all,

I am new to growing peppers, and I am pretty excited to share with you all that my first flowers are coming in nicely. Just curious about how long now until they start producing?

The flower shown bloomed a day or two ago.

This is Cayenne pepper, planted in a 3 gallon pot, I assume if I want a decent yield I should move up to at least a 5 gallon pot?
the plant is about 2.5ft tall from the top of the pot.

This post was edited by Dhelsdon on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 12:38

Comments (9)

• Dhelsdon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone tell me how to attach multiple photos without the use of a third party uploader?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

You can only upload one photo per post with the GW uploader function. Third party photo hosting is the only option I know of for posting multiple photos in one post. The plant looks great and you will likely start seeing more blooms soon. Don't get too upset if that bloom drops without setting fruit. Plants typically start blooming but drop blooms for a while until it feels conditions are just right to set and grow fruit.

Is that plant being kept outside? What grow zone are you in? You can probably continue to grow that plant in that same pot but I would probably upsize soon.
    Good Luck,
    Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Your plant looks great. I combine multiple pics into one pic by using ms paint and resize and copy and paste into another until I get my final pic. Then upload the one pic. That's my work around besides photobucket to upload multiple pics.

Mark

• Dhelsdon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in zone 2A, growing indoors 400w MH temps stay around 80+F during the day and 70F during the night. Lights are on 18/6.. I think these are ideal but correct me if I am wrong.

Hab, that sounds like a PITA, I'll just use photobucket from now on. :)

I've also got Chocolate habs and Yellow Fatalii that germed and waiting for sprouts. Seeds are very viable too man, out of the 4 I germed so far 2 have sprouted within a week or two

Thanks again!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Growing zone 2a? That must be up there. I can see why you are growing indoors. I am not real sure about your light setup as I have no experience with MH lights. But it sure seems to be doing the job. I do know that getting plants to bloom and set fruit is normally tougher indoors than out. Good luck and stay warm.
    Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Glad that you have had good germination with the chocolate Habs and Fatalii. They were from the end of the 2012 season so real fresh seed stock. I think the older the seeds the longer it takes to germinate. Look forward to seeing how they do the rest of the season.

Yea PITA to do sometimes, to me worth it at times.

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 17:09

• tsheets
    11 years ago

They look great!

You'll want to help them pollinate somehow. A fan, shaking them, hand pollinating, etc... You'll still get some fruit set if you don't do anything, but, you'll have better success if you help things along.

I think that pot is fine for the size of plant. You can always go bigger later if needed.

• Dhelsdon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What is the best way to help them along to get them producing some peppers?
    They still seem to be blooming flowers here and there, I did have some underwatering issues which hurt them a bit but they are recovering okay.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Warm temps lots of direct sun and maybe tailor your nutrients for blooming. But don't try getting too fancy. They will produce when they are ready. I have a sweet mini bell that I planted in late February that had three peppers on it already. I snipped all but one. It is only 3-4" tall and under artificial light and in a cool basement. Most of my other plants are struggling.
    Bruce

Sponsored