Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saramegan2012

Bhut Jolokia flower buds

saramegan2012
11 years ago

My Bhut Jolokia has flower pods that are getting bigger, how long until they open up and then how long until fruit forms. I am also growing them indoors, so when the flowers form how do I pollinate them and when should I do this?

Comments (13)

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

First of all congratulation to your big flower pods.

I cannot answer all of your questions because I am a new inexperience beginner.

For the first time I have also Bhut Jolokia flowers. I have grown it indoor. For the pollination I use a small soft painting brush, soaked in warm water and make it moisture not wet then brushed all the flowers gently.

I have read that Chili plants are self pollinated. Just Google for for more information.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

My flowers are very small. I did hand pollination as I mentioned before.

{{gwi:1154489}}
    {{gwi:1154491}}

I did not expect the flower dropped like this and do not think this pod can survive. It looks immature.

Caelian

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Saramegan and Caelian: Don't wet the brush. Just brush it lightly and transfer to another flower by brushing lightly there also. A Q-tip also works well. You can also just shake the plant gently. It doesn't take much to get the pollen airborne.

Kevin

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

I used an old electric toothbrush last year on some Hab and jalepanos, worked well. Have not tried on Bhuts as this is my first year attempting Bhuts.

Bill

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the advice.

Caelian

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Hey chilliwin: The photo above with the dropped flower. That is a viable pod dude. That is gonna turn into a pepper. Check it in a week and it will be bigger. That is what happens when a pod gets fertilized. The skirt drops. If the whole flower and stem drops, then you have blossom drop. You are good to go.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    11 years ago

It could still drop, but the fact that the whole flower, stem and all didn't drop is good. Always nice to see that little "stinger". But, if it does drop and everything else looks good, don't be too alarmed, it's common.

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

The picture may made you confuse it is in fact very small and the reason the flower dropped this way may be caused by the Bayer insecticide/fungicide I sprayed.

The pod has gone.

Thank you Bruce and Tsheets for the reply.

I hope Saramegan got his/her answer from Kevin.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Caelian

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Did the little pod fall also or just the bloom?
    Bruce

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

The little pod in the picture has gone.

Caelian

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Ahhh, OK, I see.
    Bruce

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

My Ghost is not very big but it has many small flowers now. None of them has "pollen".

Saramegan I am sorry for posting here further more.

I hope this post will be my last post for this thread. If necessary I will start a new one :).

Caelian

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Caelian:

I wouldn't worry about posting in a thread and possibly "hijacking" it. Some of the best information is posted because somebody other than the original poster chimes in. I'm sure saramegan is learning valuable info.

As far as YOUR flowers are concerned, they DO have pollen. Just because you don't see a "puff" of it when you hit it with a brush doesn't mean it isn't there. If you're worried about pollination, just take them outside for a couple hours on a warm, breezy day and/or shake the base of the plant. Pepper plants aren't like vanilla flowers that need to be hand pollinated one day out of the year.

They really do pollinate very easily

Sponsored