Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

slow release fert with 5-1-1

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I did not add a slow release fert when mixing up recent batches of 5-1-1. is there any reason I couldn't just sprinkle it on top?

also, what's a good (cheap) slow release to use? I know that the 3-1-2 NPK ratio is optimal under normal conditions, but my pine bark has a lot of sapwood, in pieces far too small to get all of them (I got as much of the big pieces as I could), so I know I'm gonna need extra N.

the ones I have in 5-1-1 are looking pretty pale green, so I know extra nitrogen is needed.

also, can anyone suggest a good high nitrogen fert liquid that doesn't smell as bad as the fish emulsion does? my wife complains about the smell every time I use it.

Comments (6)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

The most popular slow release is OSMOCOTE for vegetables. You can find it in most garden centers, Walmart, etc...
    I should be fine to sprinkle it on top, just be sure to top water your plants. It is a 14-14-14 NPK which is pretty good for Nitrogen.
    ------------------------------------------------
    PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Osmocote Smart-Release 1.25 lb. Flower and Vegetable Plant Food is good for feeding flowers, garden vegetables, tomatoes, melons and berries. The non-burning formula feeds for up to 4 months. These granules have a balanced formula to simultaneously promote top-growth and root development. It has a fertilizer analysis of 14-14-14.

Formulated for feeding flowers, garden vegetables, tomatoes, melons and berries
    Balanced formula simultaneously promotes top-growth and strong root development
    Add to garden soil at the beginning of the season when crops are planted
    Feeds for up to 4 months, so you don't have to constantly fertilize
    Non-burning formula is safe to apply at any time
    14-14-14 fertilizer analysis
    -------------------------------------

DYNA GRO 9-3-6 is a good liquid fert. But it is not as readily available as others. You can get it on ebay and amazon.com if you can't find it locally.

Bruce

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am sure you will get better suggestions;
    I think you can top dress the granular ferts too.

I think using fish emulsion (organic ?) is not recommended for 5-1-1 because there are no micro herds in i511 to break it down to available form.

The all purpose (3-1-2 ratio) is already high in nitrogen. How much of the nitrogen , for how long can be absorbed by the sapwood.? My thinking is that, after a while it should be saturated and no longer has appetite for nitrogen.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Dynamite All Purpose is a good fertilizer which, in addition to the desirable 3:1:2 ratio, also contains micronutrients.

For what it's worth, it is the ratio of N, P, and K that counts, not the exact value. 14-14-14, with a ratio of 1-1-1- has relatively less nitrogen than a 3-1-2. For a better explanation, see that other current fertilizer thread.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hello!

Yes, Dynamite has gained some popularity, due to the fact that the formula includes Calcium (which is lacking in most fertilizers). The old Osmocote Plus had Calcium, but doesn't any longer by several reports.

If choosing Osmocote, I would use the 15-9-12 formula, which strikes closer to the 3:1:2 ratio.

Osmocote releases nutrients best when incorporated into a mix - where moisture and temperature is more consistent. But you can certainly "top dress" with it, as well. I would simply pull back the mix, sprinkle on the Osmocote (measure it), and then cover it back up with mix.

If the plants are pale, it could be that they're staying too moist, as well - the 5-1-1 does hold quite a bit of moisture, after all. You might also try a little Epsom Salt (1/2 teaspoon in a gallon of water), at the next watering, just to see if the plants green up - at that rate, it can't hurt but could really help.

Josh

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I will not use Osmocote 14-14-14. Firstly because of their name recognition , they are selling it at twice the price of similar products at 1-1-1 ratio. I can buy 16-16-16 for about two bucks per pound. Maybe for less.

Secondly, I now think that 3-1-2 ratio is a better choice for peppers, tomatoes in container, in particular. excess P and K do nothing good but interfere. Now MG comes as winner. As far as the calcium and magnesium are concerned, I will add some dolomitic lime to take care of those and the pH control. .

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

check your ph seysonn: West coast water is traditionally alkaline and lime will raise the ph. as far as your reasoning on a triple 16... That's all fine and dandy but there's a difference... osmocote is slow release. 5-1-1 is a very porous and well draining mix. That triple 16 will move right through and out the bottom.

I agree with Josh about the epsom.. Last year, my starts looked pale and after a couple doses of epsom(per josh's recommendation), they greened right up. Same thing with the crf's.. Just pull back a couple inches of the mix and sprinkle them, cover back up.

Kevin

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor