Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

hardening off (sort of)

leira
12 years ago

Living in New England, I start many things indoors under lights.

Nonetheless, I subscribe to the idea that seedlings should spend time outdoors as early and as often as is reasonable -- even if the plant-out date is fairly far off. Volatile New England weather means that we could have a day in the 50s, 60s, or even 70s at almost any time, and real sunshine and fresh air seem like an obviously better choice than my grow light setup, whenever practical.

My question, though is this. What "brief trip outdoors" temperatures are reasonable, or even preferable, for pepper seedlings? I know that peppers might prefer temperatures that are 70F or hotter, but I'm sure they would also prefer real sunlight, and a bit of wind will make them strong.

So...where does the balance tip? Right now it's 61F outside, and tomorrow is predicted to be 65F (and it wouldn't surprise me if it got closer to 70F in the afternoon). Should the seedlings stay inside under grow lights and on top of a heat mat, or should they spend a couple of hours (or even all day) outdoors?

In case it changes your answer for these specific seedlings, rather than seedlings in general, they're about 10 days from planting, and don't yet have their true leaves.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm