Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong? (Yellow and black leaves)

Posted by cjohansen (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 13:29

I have lots of seedlings growing under CFLs, much like I did last year. 2013 was my first year, and things went pretty smooth. Now my seedlings are under-developed, some have yellow leaves, some have black leaves, and a few look entirely stunted and have even started dropping leaves. I have no idea what's wrong. I'm pretty confident I don't overwater, and I also don't think I am underwatering. The CFLs are 30w, and don't give off too much heat. Could they be cooking anyway? Any other suggestions?

This one is quite healthy:

My setup:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong? (Yellow and black leaves)

If those were my plants, my first thought would be that they are severely undernourished.

Doesn't look like a heat issue, but put a thermometer in there to be sure.

o

Can't remember if it's lack of P or K. Research it a bit and come back and remind me...lol

Kevin

o

Thanks, I'll try to hit them lightly with fertilizer. I'm using the same kind of soil as last year, and didn't fertilize until June or something, so it's a bit of a surprise, but worth a shot, for sure.

o

I have had EXACT the same problem with my peppers. Now they are getting better. I call it "PURPLE" not black.

Anyway, I increased the fertilized and kept the lights farther away and shortened the hours. Now no more purple but some are still yellow. I don't want to push them right now because I don't want them to grow too big, inside. Once planted out, I can take care of them, I know how.

Here is a picture of mine about 5 weeks ago

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 23:59

The dark color is pretty common with pepper seedlings. I think it has to do with the artificial light. I have several that are exhibiting the purple coloring on leaves. I don't think it is signaling any real problems and unless the pepper is of a variety where the dark coloring is natural, I think it will clear up soon after getting outside in the real sun. I dont think any of those peppers pictured above look bad at all, maybe a little leggy, but that is it. I wouldn't be worried.
Bruce

o

I think you are right , Bruce.
Not all my seedling were affected that way. Bu they were all treated almost the same way. The one in the picture ( a Thai Chili) was the most severe case.
It is possible that different peppers have different light or cold sensitivity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here