Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flipback23

This has nothing to do with peppers but.....

flipback23
10 years ago

So I am far from a saint nor do I behave the best all the time and in no way do I try and judge anyone, but what is wrong with people now a days. Yesterday Im at the ATM and I see the guy in the picture passed out face literally in the dirt. Not a single person went to see if he was ok or even went within 20ft of him. Now to me there's a difference between a homeless man sleeping on the side of the street or building and a guy laying like this half on the parking lot half face down in the dirt. So I go over to him hes foaming at the mouth snot pouring out his nose. So I start asking if hes alright or needs help and get no response. I try shaking him and nada. So I call the police dept and get an answering machine saying they only pick up mon-fri. So I call 911 and they send help. But really not a single person thought something may be wrong. Dont know what ended up happening to him but Im just glad I called. Sorry for the venting but was a little disappointed and angered that not a single person worried about his well being.

This post was edited by flipback23 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 20:59

Comments (19)

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Bowl of bad menudo would put me there too... ;-)

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Hard to imagine, but people no longer have compassion for their fellow man/woman. They don't want to be inconvenienced, so it's easier to just keep going as if they didn't see him. I agree 100%. It's sad.

Tim

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Good of you to step in and help!

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

It's a sad conviction of (the collective) our self-absorbed way of looking at the world. Thanks for pricking the conscience of everyone who reads your post.

Al

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Good for you.....thanks for stepping up......

I have friends who are urban first responders......
    They often emphasize...... " just CALL 9-1-1".....don't try to out-think it....don't waste time.....they'll figure it out...
    They are paid and PROTECTED to be in the action and at the ready.....these days there are real risks to being the Good Samaritan

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

There is a lot to blame Candid Camera for.

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, it's sad that our society has sunken to the point where people who don't care for others far outweigh people that do.

Unfortunately, situations like what you found yourself in are not uncommon these days. See link below.

Your actions are commendable, Thank You.

If I may, should you ever find yourself in a similar situation in the future, in a life or death situation seconds count, no time to stop for a picture.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Windsor man rescues girl lying on snowy street

• flipback23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill,
    The picture wasnt meant for laughs or disrespect was two fold actually, one was in case he awoke before help arrived and to prove I was not prank calling so I took it after making the call. Secondly was for reference to show this was more than someone in a drunken stuper and obviously not just taking a nap. I will gladly take the picture down was merely for example of point number two I apologize if it has offended anyone.
    Rey

This post was edited by flipback23 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 20:57

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I call B.S.

If I remember right I've seen the pic,or something VERY similar as a pic of a dead guy in the recent drug wars - Columbia or probably Mexico...

I fail to see why ANYONE would post your post on a Pepper forum.

I could almost (probably not)consider a post about human compassion on a forum as far as what you pretended to post on this Pepper forum-A pepper forum!

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 21:31

• flipback23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Call it what you want smoke master but its not bs like I said in the title its not about peppers and was a vent like I said. There's no way you saw that same pic since I took it. And I put here not for compassion but as an outlet for venting like I stated. Sorry you feel its fake. But it truly happened. To each their own if you disagree about my post so be it. I was merely trying to show my anger for a lack of better words that no one gave a crap about a person that needed help. Im nota member of any compassion forums so I posted on one that I was part of. I normally post about peppers and since this wasn't about peppers I stated so in the title.
    Regards
    Rey

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

Rey - As I often do as a matter of course to satisfy my own curiosity, I took some time to go looking at your history - at how you habitually post, and I couldn't find anything that would indicate to me that you posted for any reason other than the one you stated.

The forum I'm most comfortable at is container gardening, and it's not uncommon for me to post totally off topic stuff there. We have long-running threads where most of the posts have nothing to do with container growing - it's sorta fun. I'm not picking sides or scolding anyone - just sayin I'm more than willing to cut a guy a little slack if he sees something he feels the need to share his thoughts about. Obviously I'm not feeling like you wasted my time because I responded earlier.

Al

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Good job for stepping in and possibly putting your self in harms way for the good of another human being. IâÂÂd like to think that most people want to stop and help but just donâÂÂt feel safe to or donâÂÂt know if it is some kind of scam. There are a lot of whacko birds out there. That is a shame in itself. But maybe you are right maybe people just donâÂÂt care anymore. You did a good thing putting a complete strangerâÂÂs needs above your own safety.

• OffbeatJenn
    10 years ago

Guys, I don't think the phenomenon of people not stopping to help someone who's injured is a new one. I seem to recall an old story about a Samaritan once who stood out as a good man for stopping to help a stranger.

There have always been good people, and bad people, and a whole lotta people in between. There's compassion all around us, if we practice it ourselves and choose to see it in others.

Thanks for being one of the good guys, Flip. :-)

• tandrew31
    10 years ago

It is nice to know there is still a Good Samaritan left
    in this world.
    Thanks Rey for your compassion and and concern for others.
    Blessings
    Tom

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Where's the pic?

Kevin

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Don't listen to smokeuphisassmaster. You stated it wasn't about peppers and that you wanted to vent so that's his own problem and he didn't need to even follow up on your post. It's nice to see something other than peppers from my pepper pals once in awhile.

• TNKS
    10 years ago

What you did was noble,but bringing it here(off topic no less)and bragging about it is clearly self serving.

• User
    10 years ago

Kevin,

I think Rey removed the picture out of respect for the person he assisted in his moment of distress.

MorugaMan,

Opinions (on pepper topics and on rare occasions non-pepper ones) are openly shared here. One of the hallmarks of this forum is that, for the most part, counter opinions are respectful. i don't think name calling results in any good.

All, let's let this post trickle down and resume our focus on growing peppers.

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 20:10

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

I might have bee. Out of line. I'll be sure to not let ignorance get to me again and to look past it. It's just I know the background of flip and for him to do what he did and share with us about it is awesome and I frown apon someone trying to belittle such a thing. Again sorry for the name calling smokemaster.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH