Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ab2008

Did I accidentally overwater?

ab2008
11 years ago

I have probably 2-4 plants that have started looking like this. I think maybe I over watered them?

I'm not stressing too much over it because the plant next to it looks perfectly fine, but like always I like to get others' input.

They have a fan on them 24/7. The rest of my seedlings are the same distance away from lights and show none of the same signs. I did get them outside for a couple hours a day or two ago, since it was near 70, and a nice mix of sunshine, and the occasional cloud cover so it wasn't too brutal on them.

No fertilize has been used other than what may have been in the slow release potting soil/composted cow manure mix that they started in.

Thanks for all the help!

Comments (20)

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is one of my 7 pot douglahs. Notice the other one in the same cell shows no sign at all of it. (At least not yet.)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Could be low Calcium...an actual deficiency, or overly wet soil impairing uptake.
    I'll be interested to see what others say, as well.

Josh

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

The white on the leaves look to be sunburn. Taking them from indoors under lights to direct sun will burn leaves. I usually start my plants outside under a tree for speckled sun then gradually move to morning sun then full sun.

Mark

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

I dont know much at all on this but it almost looks like the top of the medium has algae on it.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Bill good call the green sure does look like algae. Did not catch that on first look.

Ab2008 is that algae or did you add some sphagnum moss to the soil mix?

Mark

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mark,

That is algae. I did overwater them a couple weeks back and just seems like I cannot get it to clear up. That was when they were still just seeds though. It's just odd though because it's only around 4 plants that have done this out of my 150+. I had been more careful with my watering, however even when letting it get nearly bone dry it seems like the algae has not cleared up at all.

They were started in a mix of MG potting mix/Compost cow manure/ and light seed starting mix. But I am considering just changing the soil out to see if it helps.

As I stated though, I did put them out for a bit a couple days back. Just think if it was sunburn it would have affected more than just that many though?

Thanks though for the advice thus far.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I agree with your idea of changing out the soil, that would be what I would do at this point. Then after a week see how they do.

Mark

• kypepperman
    11 years ago

cant really tell if it is glare or not but if it is not glare on the douglah's then it is sunburn. Its best not to bounce them around from inside to outside.when you put them out let them stay out. just because it seems like the plants would like it they dont, that is why you have to break them in to the sun in the spring with shade. it stresses them, plus bringing them back inside you could bring insects with them,

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kypepperman,

Naw it isn't glare. However if just that one gets sunburned wouldn't it have affected at least a few more plants as well? I put out all of my plants including tomatoes, cabbage, brussel sprouts etc. I had over 150 peppers sitting outside as well but it's only a couple that have done this.

Or am I thinking about it totally wrong?

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    11 years ago

If a couple of your plants had dry soil they would sunburn/windburn much more quickly than others that were moist. Ones on the edge could receive more wind and that could also cause greater damage. Some other veggies, ie. cabbage and brussels sprouts, have tougher leaves that are less likely to burn than those on peppers. So only having a few with the sunburn does not seem unusual to me. Of course it is troubling when it's your prized variety. Looks like they will survive,though.

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

naturegirl_2007,

Thanks for the clarification on why one or two may get sunburn and others not. It does seem that a few of the cells will/do dry out a little faster than some of the others at times.

With that said, can it be prevented by watering a few hours ahead of moving them outdoors for a few hours? I almost want to think perhaps it happened because I did water them outdoors, and water may have splashed up on the leaves and acted as a magnifying glass of sorts on some.

11 years ago

Water doesn't act as a magnifying glass...that's actually a wive's tale.

But this is where the misconception arises. What sometimes can happen is that particulate in the water or on the leaf can be concentrated in a droplet and lead to a localized burn-spot. But water itself does not cause a burn.

Josh

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Josh.

I'm stumped then. But I did change the soil out on the plants that did have the issue. So we'll see how it looks over the next few days.

11 years ago

Excellent! Keep us updated.
    Peppers will usually outgrow these early issues.

Josh

• NancyPlants
    11 years ago

I agree with not moving them in and out until you're ready to harden them off for the year. You're just asking for problems IMO.
    'Just a few hours' is alot for their first time out. Luckily you didnt loose any.
    Good luck :)

• rdback
    11 years ago

Hello ab.

Looks like over-watering to me, but could be a deficiency. Regardless, hereâÂÂs what IâÂÂd do:

1) water only when dry
    2) water from the bottom
    3) start using fish emulsion at 25% rate and use every watering OR
    4) start using fish emulsion at 50% rate and use EVERY OTHER watering
    5) keep your lights close (1-2 in)
    6) run lights 16 hr a day (i.e. 6am-10pm)
    7) let plants rest in darkness for 8 hr (i.e. 10pm-6am)
    8) run fan sporadically during the "day"

Try to create the outside environment they'll be living in inside, i.e. daytime and nighttime. Use the fan during the day because the wind doesn't usually blow at night *smile*. By the way most, but not all, fish emulsions also contain trace elements like calcium and magnesium, so look for those.

Also, quit taking your plants outside on nice days. ItâÂÂs nice and relaxing for you, but itâÂÂs pretty stressful on the plants. If youâÂÂre really in Zone 6, your last frost date is what, sometime in May? Shoot I wouldn't look to hardening off your plants until a week before whatever that date is, give or take.

Anyway, thatâÂÂs my 2c.

Best of luck buddy.

Rick

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are doing a lot better since a few days back.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Looking good, it's time if you have not already, to separate them. They should be in individual pots for their size.

Mark

11 years ago

I agree with Mark.

Also, they still look a tad pale to my eye...maybe just the photo? I would try a slightly heavier nutrient dose, perhaps on a test plant or two (but not on a recent transplant).

Josh

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The paleness might be because of the flash on my phone too. I may try to give them a little food next time I water them as I just watered stuff last night and don't wanna drown them. It's been a week or two since I've gave things a light dose, so it might be time again but we'll see. The potting soil I put them in had slow release nutes so. If the weather will break and warm up I can just move them out eventually hah.

Sponsored